Question on Fun Ship Dollars

lynredles

I see on the Carnival website that they sell Fun Ship Dollars.

Can I buy these for someone and they can use them on board towards their sign and sail account?

I am confused because it says they have to be mailed to Carnival for use.

Thanks,

Lyn

I see on the Carnival website that they sell Fun Ship Dollars.

Can I buy these for someone and they can use them on board towards their sign and sail account?

I am confused because it says they have to be mailed to Carnival for use.

Thanks,

Lyn

Lyn,

I just purchased Fun Ship Dollars for my family for our cruise next month on the Triumph. In order to use them for onboard credit, you must write your booking number and passenger name on the certificates and mail them back to Carnival (or give them to your travel agent if you are using one) at least 2 weeks prior to your cruise. It doesn't seem to be the most efficient way for Carnival to handle these but that's what you would need to do.

Randy

Randy:

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I thought it seems really stupid for Carnival to work things that way. :confused:

On DCL I could put a credit on our account ahead of time and it would be there for the cruise.

Lyn

Randy:

Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I thought it seems really stupid for Carnival to work things that way. :confused:

On DCL I could put a credit on our account ahead of time and it would be there for the cruise.

Lyn

Just an FYI, you can purchase Funship Dollars & have them credited to your account before the cruise. I learned that here at CC & have been doing it for our cruise next April. Go through the process of ordering Funship Dollars from the Carnival website. When it gets to the address part of the order enter your booking # on 1 address line & type "use as On Board Credit" on the other address line. You will receive an email right after the order. Then another email in 2-3 days confirming the order. Then after 2-3 days you can go into your reservation through Carnival.com & when you click on modify booking your credit will be there.

Hope this makes sense & helps!!

:confused: Why would you do this? Why not just give someone cash as a bon voyage gift? That way they could spend it in port as well as on the ship. I personally would rather save my money for the trip in a savings account that draws interest for me, rather than let Carnival use my money to draw interest for them.

:confused: Why would you do this? Why not just give someone cash as a bon voyage gift? That way they could spend it in port as well as on the ship. I personally would rather save my money for the trip in a savings account that draws interest for me, rather than let Carnival use my money to draw interest for them.

It's just a personal preference thing. Some people are not great savers, so the ability to pay up front a little at a time is a nice option. I haven't done it yet, but I can see the benefits.

It's sort of the same argument for getting a tax refund...some people don't understand why I would give the government an interest free loan by over withholding, but I know the truth of the matter is that if I had the money available to me (even in a savings account) throughout the year, I'd be drawing on it for other things. I LIKE to use my tax refund to pay a big ticket pleasure item...like a cruise. It makes me feel good and I don't go into debt.

Make sure you print out your confirmation emails and keep them with you (or have whomever you're giving the credit to carry them with them), just in case. :) The credit won't show up on your account until the last night. At least it didn't for us on the Triumph. It was sure nice to see a big balance in the morning and a credit in the evening! :D

I thought I had read on cruise critic that you can bring the funship dollars onboard and have them applied that way? Did I misunderstand?

The instructions included with the Fun Ship Dollars indicate that you must mail them back to Carnival at least 2 weeks in advance or give them to your travel agent. I called our PVP at Carnival to ask if we could just bring them onboard and present them to the Purser and was told that we could not. Our PVP told us we had to mail them so that's what we did.

Then after 2-3 days you can go into your reservation through Carnival.com & when you click on modify booking your credit will be there.

Hope this makes sense & helps!!

I just ordered, and I know it will take a few days, but I do not even see a "modify booking" link on my reservation.

I just ordered, and I know it will take a few days, but I do not even see a "modify booking" link on my reservation.

'Modify Booking' will only be available to you if you booked directly through Carnival. If you used a travel agent, you cannot access that feature.

'Modify Booking' will only be available to you if you booked directly through Carnival. If you used a travel agent, you cannot access that feature.

OK, well that answers that, booked with TA. So I just won't see my on board credit on Carnival's web site. NBD

So how can I find out my onboard credit balance before getting on the ship? I just want to make sure my money goes to the right place. I've never done this before.

Thanks

The instructions included with the Fun Ship Dollars indicate that you must mail them back to Carnival at least 2 weeks in advance or give them to your travel agent. I called our PVP at Carnival to ask if we could just bring them onboard and present them to the Purser and was told that we could not. Our PVP told us we had to mail them so that's what we did.

Well this bites...What if you are giving them to someone as a gift just before they sail? Can they not have them applied to their Sign and Sail account? In my case I bought some for DH as I know he wont spend money for wine on himself...if it were a gift (in the form of Funship $$) then he might be more inclined to indulge...we sail in 10 days...no time to send back to Carnival and have applied... I wanted this to be a surprise for his birthday and now you guys are telling me it won't be?? Please tell me I'm wrong:confused:

I've read on CC where people have taken their funship dollars onboard to have them credited......I'll run a search and see what I can find.

** Here's a couple posts that refer to bringing their funship dollars onboard and having the money credited to their account. EmmyW14, you'll be fine giving them as a gift. :) Just tell them to take them to the pursor when they get onboard.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=527320&highlight=funship+dollars post #5

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=545234&highlight=funship+dollars post #7

I just got off the phone with the Bon Voyage dept. since I had previously puchased Fun Ship Dollars to give as gifts also. The woman I spoke to, Veronica, said that you can bring them onboard and have them applied to your account at the Purser's desk. They do not need to be sent in two weeks before. This is good news for us, since we are giving some as Father's Day gifts and are cruising 3 days later. Hope this info helps.

I was lucky enough to receive $100 in fun ship dollars as gifts - $50 from my parents, who had the certificate mailed to me, and $50 from a friend who had it applied to on-board credit for me.

Despite the instructions about having to mail in the certificate I had NO PROBLEM taking it to the Purser's Office and having it applied to my on-board credit. It showed up on my final bill as "Cash Transaction -$50".

The $50 that was applied to on-board credit was done the way that 4sons1hubbynme posted above - just put in your booking number on the address line 1 and "On Board Credit" on Address Line 2, and then your city, state and zip code where they belong.

If you are looking to surprise your kids, the on-board credit option is the way to go. A slip of paper was delivered to my cabin showing that the fun ship dollars had been applied to my account, but I did not receive anything beforehand. If you are sailing with your kids, you might want to bring a print-out of the confirmation e-mails with you just in case, but I would definitely suggest this on-board credit option, as it is more convenient. I actually forgot the $50 certificate my parents had given us, and had to drive back to the house for it - thankfully we weren't too far away when I remembered it:rolleyes: .

Lyn,

I just purchased Fun Ship Dollars for my family for our cruise next month on the Triumph. In order to use them for onboard credit, you must write your booking number and passenger name on the certificates and mail them back to Carnival (or give them to your travel agent if you are using one) at least 2 weeks prior to your cruise. It doesn't seem to be the most efficient way for Carnival to handle these but that's what you would need to do.

Randy

no. our resident expert on this (serene, i think) said that was not true. so, when i rec'd them as part of a christmas gift, i just took them w/ me, went to the purser's desk and had them applied. they applied them immediately, and gave me a receipt.

You guys are great...thanks for taking the time to reply... I know now that my DH's birthday surprise will be okay....we'll drink a toast to you all in 10 days with that "special bottle of wine" I know he will now purchase.;) Can't come soon enough for sure...again many thanks...Emmy

I just got off the phone with the Bon Voyage dept. since I had previously puchased Fun Ship Dollars to give as gifts also. The woman I spoke to, Veronica, said that you can bring them onboard and have them applied to your account at the Purser's desk. They do not need to be sent in two weeks before. This is good news for us, since we are giving some as Father's Day gifts and are cruising 3 days later. Hope this info helps.

Thanks for the information. That's good to know. I wish my PVP had told us that but unfortunately we were told just the opposite. It just makes more sense to be able to present them at the Purser's desk.

Archived