Kid's club for 13 year old

We will be taking our first cruise on the Mariner in August. Our just 13 year old son will be with us. Can you please tell me a little about AO for his age? Is the program for the older structured or is it come and go as you please? Any thing you can tell me about your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cathy

My son who is 12 used Ocean Adventure quite alot on Legend last month and enjoyed it. The only thing he found was they are prone to change plans quite frequently if there are not many turn up or if they feel like it I think! Eg. They will plan a get to know each other coffee morning and if (like my son) only he turned up it was cut short even though staff were there and he was left wandering about, then one night, it was listed for Legend DJ to show them in Optix (teen area) how to be a DJ and use all equipment for which a few turned up for but this did not happen either and they just chatted. The disco after also did not happen.

I am sure there will be more structured things on Voyager Class ships as they have basketball courts etc so I would imagine this would attract alot of interest. They were taken twice in a week to two of the theatre shows which was good as we were not bothered about them. He met some nice friends and wandered around the ship, behaving, may I add! All in all it was ok but the younger cloub (my other sone is 9) was better IMHO

Hollyanna

Thanks for the wonderful responses. It sounds like we will plan family activities during the day and walk him into the activities at night just to make sure they are happening.

Scooter if you could let me know how your 12 year old likes it and what your experience was once you get back that would be great!

Thanks again

Cathy

The 12 year old program is much more relaxed and unstructured than the others. Mostly they meet in an area and do stuff together. It can change from what is suppose to be done. The can check themselves out as can any of the kids even younger. Going at that time of the year you will find many kids for him to be with. He should make sure he registers and goes to the first group thing they do. From there he will meet a group and do things with, within AO and outside of it. They give them the space to hang out in but there is little activities planned for them.

Archived