St Thomas Vs Grand Turk

dst

Which do you think would be better for a group of nine? Three of us have snorkeled before but the remaining have never been. Can anyone compare and tell me which port you think would be best.

Also if anyone has used a company that they could recommend; I would appreciate that.

I take it that you are asking about snorkeling, not diving. Grand Turk has better diving, but I don't know if the snorkeling would be better. I'd probably recommend St. John for snorkeling. I'd skip the very popular Megan's Bay and go to the next one down the line, Cinnamon Bay. Supposed to be equally good but less crowded.

The last time I was in St. thomas, we chartered a boat to go snorkeling. I would think that would be very economical with a group of nine. We were able to avoid the large cattle boats and got to see lots of different critters.

Georoc01: Do you remember who you used to charter?

Bruse: Yes definately snorkeling. I dive but the rest of my group does not. I was hoping to find a place that would do snuba and snorkel. At least that way I feel like I am diving :)

Any recommendations?

I'm going to St. Thomas this Aug. and have been searching too.

In St. Thomas I saw some ops describing that the dive sites are also good for snorkeling. So you could arrange a private charter that you can go diving and the rest snorkeling.

In Coral World (Coki beach), they have snuba. In fact you can sign up your friends to try snuba too. There is also snorkeling at Coki beach. You can also do shore dive there, although it's been described as 'not special'. But at least you can dive. There is also a dive op there that can take you out on boat for dive/snorkel trip. They'd even reimburse you $10/p for the cost of taxi. With 9 of you, you might be able to arrange cheaper transportation, or hop on bus to save even more.

Mid: Thanks for the info, I think we can get some good info here on the boards.

I'vs been to COki Beach, very nice but best in the morning before the crowds get there.

We went to Sapphire Beach instead of Coki, and it was amazing for snorkeling right from the beach! Our kids really enjoyed it, we even saw an octopus.

The beach was uncrowded, and it was really nice.

We just took a taxi from the dock, and it worked out perfect.

I love Saphire beach, it is intersting though no one has really given any info on Grand Turk. Makes me think that the snorkeling there just isn't too good. I guess we may just have to do M'Ville for the day

The last time I was in St. thomas, we chartered a boat to go snorkeling. I would think that would be very economical with a group of nine. We were able to avoid the large cattle boats and got to see lots of different critters.

No I don't..It was booked through the Princess Cruise Desk

• 1 month later...
We went to Sapphire Beach instead of Coki, and it was amazing for snorkeling right from the beach! Our kids really enjoyed it, we even saw an octopus.

The beach was uncrowded, and it was really nice.

We just took a taxi from the dock, and it worked out perfect.

Do you remember how much the cab ride was and how long it took to get there? Was there any chairs/umbrellas to rent or use?

Archived