Life Vests for infants

sas80

I was extremely disspaointed to see that RCCL was trying to give me a life vest from the splash zone (kids play area) for my 6 mo infant on our Splendour cruise in March.

Not only was the first one broken :eek: but the vest didnt have the required headpiece to keep his head out of the water.

We are going on the Rhapsody in August and I am in the middle of a dialogue with RCCL to ensure that I get the appropriate lifevest for my child!

Has anyone ever gotten the right lifevest for their infant?

Which ship and line?

How deep is the water in the splash zone? I thought it was just fountains. Anyway, if you're concerned about having a proper life jacket, you should bring your own. Or maybe even a swim suit/life vest combo. FWIW, I never put a life vest on my baby in a pool. I just held them.

I was extremely disspaointed to see that RCCL was trying to give me a life vest from the splash zone (kids play area) for my 6 mo infant on our Splendour cruise in March.

Not only was the first one broken :eek: but the vest didnt have the required headpiece to keep his head out of the water.

We are going on the Rhapsody in August and I am in the middle of a dialogue with RCCL to ensure that I get the appropriate lifevest for my child!

Which ship and line?

We went on the Rhapsody when my DD was a year old. You are not going to have to worry about it for them to swim on that ship... it does not have a splash zone.:(

We did recieve the correct vest for her on that cruise for instances of needing to evacuate the ship. It had the head support and everything.

Which ship and line?

I think what the OP was saying was not that she wanted her infant to play in the splash zone but rather that RCCL was trying to give her a life vest that came from the splash zone for her baby. I'm not sure that type of life jacket would meet with the regulations.

We went on the Rhapsody when my DD was a year old. You are not going to have to worry about it for them to swim on that ship... it does not have a splash zone.:(

We did recieve the correct vest for her on that cruise for instances of needing to evacuate the ship. It had the head support and everything.

PHEW!

That is REALLY good to know!!!

I think we are going to go ahead and invest in one and leave the tags on. If RCCL can provide us a proper one, or, if they cant and we just dont use ours, then we will just return it....

I think what the OP was saying was not that she wanted her infant to play in the splash zone but rather that RCCL was trying to give her a life vest that came from the splash zone for her baby. I'm not sure that type of life jacket would meet with the regulations.

thats exactly what I was referring to

PHEW!

That is REALLY good to know!!!

I think we are going to go ahead and invest in one and leave the tags on. If RCCL can provide us a proper one, or, if they cant and we just dont use ours, then we will just return it....

Sounds like a plan to me. Better safe then sorry!! Enjoy!!:)

We are going on Carnival in Sept. I hope they have the right vest for our 3 year old. We might just take the one from our boat.

You should probably buy an infant vest - what are you going to do if you tender? You cannot take the cruise line's vest off the ship.

Infant vests will fit in your backpack - you can use it at the beach and on your next cruise!!!

They are only 15 -20 dollars

We had an incorrect vest given to us once. We asked at the ship life boat drill for a correct one, were given it and told to keep it in our cabin for the week. We have used the swim suits with the built in "vest" several years. We always bring our own vest for tendering. They are not that costly and can be used on other vacations and holiday trips. Hope you find what works best for you. Let us all know. Have a great cruise.

When we took our then 8 m/o on the NCL Dawn in 2004, they provided us with an infant life jacket...it was an open-ended sack-like jacket with a head piece to keep him afloat (see first picture). I would imagine that the one they provided is for deep water use, but I do not know what Type PFD it is.

I doubted the safety of it because it looked like he could just fall out of it and my son fussed the entire time in it during muster making it difficult for people to hear information. We had decided to bring our own, anyway, during that cruise to use on tenders and other excursions (see second picture). It is a MTI Kids BayBee (0-30lbs), near shore buoyant vest Type II , but it seemed to fit him better than the one they provided.

The second cruise, on RCCL Serenade of the Seas in 2005, and we brought our own again and just used that during muster.

112804_0652.jpg.24e4f03f4e2543cf611cc97102119a0d.jpg

120604_0507.jpg.815e10d81ca4b1c1924c9bbab528bc7e.jpg

When we took our then 8 m/o on the NCL Dawn in 2004, they provided us with an infant life jacket...it was an open-ended sack-like jacket with a head piece to keep him afloat (see first picture). I would imagine that the one they provided is for deep water use, but I do not know what Type PFD it is.

I doubted the safety of it because it looked like he could just fall out of it and my son fussed the entire time in it during muster making it difficult for people to hear information. We had decided to bring our own, anyway, during that cruise to use on tenders and other excursions (see second picture). It is a MTI Kids BayBee (0-30lbs), near shore buoyant vest Type II , but it seemed to fit him better than the one they provided.

The second cruise, on RCCL Serenade of the Seas in 2005, and we brought our own again and just used that during muster.

CUTE Pics!

Yes, we will probably invest in one of our own.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived