What happens to your luggage w/late flight out?

Hollyster2

What options do you have for your luggage if you have a late flight back home after you get off the ship? I know you can book excursions that drop you off at the airport, but heard something about paying a fee and arranging your luggage to be sent to the airport? :confused: Anyone heard of this? I also read that you need to reserve this early onboard the ship because it fills up fast. Could somebody explain it to me please?

Right now we have our air booked through NCL with the transfers included. Our transfer from the ship to the airport is included and paid for in our package, so would that mean we would NOT use that transfer and arrange another transfer if we didn't want to stay at the airport all day waiting for the red eye flight?

What options do you have for your luggage if you have a late flight back home after you get off the ship? I know you can book excursions that drop you off at the airport, but heard something about paying a fee and arranging your luggage to be sent to the airport? :confused: Anyone heard of this? I also read that you need to reserve this early onboard the ship because it fills up fast. Could somebody explain it to me please?

Sounds like you are referring to the program thru NCL. I can't think of the term they use and my search engine isn't working right. You sign up for it as soon as you get on the ship. It is $19.95 for 2 pieces of luggage. You set your luggage outside your door the night before you disembark. When you wake up the next day, your luggage is gone and you won't see it again until you arrive at your home airport. I'm using that program myself cuz my flight home is at 10:30pm. They also have luggage storage near the pier for about $5/bag but they close by 7pm. If you can get the search tool to work, there are many threads about luggage.

That sounds exactly like what I read about. I need to find out what that service is called. The day use of a hotel would be really nice also, and it looks like no matter which way we go we are paying for our transportation to the airport twice, unless we just go straight there and wait.:(

I think the program is called the "Easy Fly" program if you are flying out on certain airlines. Still trying to figure out what it all entails and costs, and I think you can only reserve it once you are on the ship.

Our flight out is about 9:30 p.m. We are planning to go back to the airport after the ship docks; we have arranged to rent a car from the airport. We will take our luggage with us and take advantage of the day to do some more sightseeing and drive ourselves to the airport where we can return the car.

Was wondering if anyone signed up for this Easy Fly program and was not excepted.

Also once you fill out the form and return it does the ship leave your boarding passes in your cabin or how does that work.

Thanks,

Marcy

You put your bags in the hallway outside your room the night before you leave and they take them away. You won't see them again until you arrive home.

I think it says Sunday cuz that is his particular cruise. My flight also departs on Monday and that program is available to me. The ship/NCLA can give you more details.

I just got back from POH this past Tuesday. We did the Easy Fly program. It was great! We turned in our paperwork Saturday morning and didn't have any problems being accepted. All information, including luggage tags and instructions are left for you Sunday. Correct you need to leave your bags outside of your room Sunday.

Not that you would want to do this, but we turned in quite early Sunday evening and didn't know to leave the bags outside our room Sunday night. When we realized our error in the morning, we called the reception to see if it was too late. They quickly sent someone up to get our luggage. We had no problems with our luggage arriving at our destination. This was a great service. Highly recommended. I believe the cost was $19.95, and it was on our final bill through the ship.

On another note, when we first arrive in Honolulu the week prior, the cab ride was not cheap by any means. It cost us over $40 to get from the airport to our hotel. Though we didn't have a car rental planned for the Monday after we got off the ship, we decided to rent 1 with Thrifty, Blue Chip. The total cost for a mid-size (they upgraded to a brand new car) for $34.00 total. I believe we put $6 in gas after running around that day. It sure was nice to have a car to get around that day. We got to see the Arizona, get some last minute shopping in, and ate a nice lunch. Well worth the freedom.

When you got off the ship, where was the Thrifty car rental place, and did they let you return the rental to the airport? I have very little car rental experience-NONE actually. :o Did you just go into Thrifty and ask to rent a car without advanced notice?

Actually I would be sure to sign up for the Blue Chip program via the internet. You can do it www.thrifty.com. You can then make reservations for your car there, or by calling 800-334-1705.

We decided that morning that we wanted to rent a car rather than depend on other transportation. We called them that morning (Monday), and thankfully they had cars available. I wouldn't take that chance, but doing it in advance should not be a problem. There was a shuttle that picked us up at the dock, and took us to the Thrifty location near the airport. There is a Blue Chip counter just as you get off the shuttle. You will return the car to the same location, and a shuttle takes you from there. It was very easy.

In fact we rented with Thrifty at all of our stops. There was always a shuttle there to pick us up, and take us back. The process could not have gone more smoothly for us.

Good luck, and have a fantastic time.

Also highly recommend the Revealed series books. This was our first trip to Hawaii. Those books were fantastic. I feel as though we have seen so much more of Hawaii than I ever expected. It was due to those books that we were able to plan in advance, and not stress over what to do.

Actually I would be sure to sign up for the Blue Chip program via the internet. You can do it www.thrifty.com. You can then make reservations for your car there, or by calling 800-334-1705.

We decided that morning that we wanted to rent a car rather than depend on other transportation. We called them that morning (Monday), and thankfully they had cars available. I wouldn't take that chance, but doing it in advance should not be a problem. There was a shuttle that picked us up at the dock, and took us to the Thrifty location near the airport. There is a Blue Chip counter just as you get off the shuttle. You will return the car to the same location, and a shuttle takes you from there. It was very easy.

In fact we rented with Thrifty at all of our stops. There was always a shuttle there to pick us up, and take us back. The process could not have gone more smoothly for us.

Good luck, and have a fantastic time.

Also highly recommend the Revealed series books. This was our first trip to Hawaii. Those books were fantastic. I feel as though we have seen so much more of Hawaii than I ever expected. It was due to those books that we were able to plan in advance, and not stress over what to do.

Aloha. I can help a little bit.

When you got off the ship, where was the Thrifty car rental place,

The downtown Thrifty location is actually in Waikiki down by a main section of the Waikiki hotels/resorts (Royal Hawaiian, etc.). It's about 15 minutes from the pier (with traffic).

and did they let you return the rental to the airport?

I'm sure that they will, but many of the rental companies charge a drop fee (about $30) to pick up at one location and drop off at the another. You would have to check with Thrifty on this.

I have very little car rental experience-NONE actually. :o Did you just go into Thrifty and ask to rent a car without advanced notice?

You really shouldn't wait until you are there to rent. First, sometimes the rental companies sell out (especially of the popular categories), so you'd be out of luck. They won't necessarily be sold out, but they might be and that's enough reason to book in advance. Second, the walkup rates in Hawaii can be astronomical--perhaps twice what you would pay if you booked in advance. While you might stumble upon a good deal, the odds are that you won't. It's very easy to rent online in advance. I do not recommend one company over another as all are about equivalent in terms of service (in our experience). Thrifty is the only one that consistently seems to shuttle cruise pax from the pier to both their downtown and airport locations in Honolulu, but that's not an issue if you plan to rent downtown and then return to the airport when you leave.

Hope that helps. Have a great time.

beachchick

I don't want to drag my carry on, all day, so I'm going to skip the "Easy Fly" and do what I did in Span last year.

NCL is offering an all day tour for people with late flights. Toss the bags under the bus, tour all day, and let them drop me (and the bags) off at the airport. For $89 dollars it's a great deal for me, since I'm going solo.

Just returned 2 weeks ago and our return flight was at 10pm. We spent $15 for a taxi to the Holiday Inn. Room was $109 since you have to pay for the night - no hotel has day rates anymore. We were pleasantly surprised to find the Hilton Hawaiian Village right across the street. We spent time enjoying the Village and beach, then went back to the hotel and spent time at the pool and relaxing. Spent $8 per person on a shuttle to the airport. There was another couple with us so with splitting the hotel, we had a very economical, relaxing end to a busy trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the POH cruise and used the Easy FLY program. As stated on other posts, it was great. Another thing to consider is the program allows you to have over 50 lbs. of weight on your baggage. I was going to have to pay $25 to the airlines for all the stuff we brought back, so came out ahead paying the $19.95.

Jim

Archived