anyone know about handicapped cabins on Coral Princess?

MsKatee

Hi Cruisers,

will be sailing on the coral princess and booked a handicapped cabin, can anyone tell me what they are like besides wider? anything that you would not like?

thanks,

mskatee

Since I assume you booked a handicapped cabin because you need one and not because you are able bodied and just want a larger cabin, I do not understand why you would ask if there is anything a passenger would not like. Princess is notorious for booking able bodied passengers in to the few accessible cabins, so my antenna went up. Sorry if that is not the case, but if one has need of the accessible cabin, liking or not is not pertinent, IMHO

I can identify with Ms Katee's original question.

In March, we were on HAL's Zuiderdam in a HC Deluxe Veranda Aft cabin.

My husband uses a walker and a scooter (MS)

With the scooter in the room, it was crowded and was difficut moving around.

No, we didn't ask to have the chair removed, as we used it alot

We had rough seas going and returning which made things worse for him. But, we enjoyed the cruise and liked the ship

I can identify with Ms Katee's original question.

In March, we were on HAL's Zuiderdam in a HC Deluxe Veranda Aft cabin.

My husband uses a walker and a scooter (MS)

With the scooter in the room, it was crowded and was difficut moving around.

No, we didn't ask to have the chair removed, as we used it alot

We had rough seas going and returning which made things worse for him. But, we enjoyed the cruise and liked the ship

berylde,

Thanks you!

If you use a power wheelchair or scooter, or any equipment that needs to be plugged in or recharged, call the cruiseline and ask how many outlets there are (and their locations). I have read that some passengers bring extension cords or power strips with them.

As far as the controversy...your first post did not state that you are handicapped, and it did not state that you are ablebodied. The question arose because those of us who NEED accessible cabins feel protective of them for ourselves and our fellow handicapped passengers. So far I have never seen anyone post that they think it's okay for an ablebodied passenger to book an accessible cabin...unless it's very close to sailing and the accessible cabin has not been booked.

Sometimes ablebodied folks intentionally book accessible cabins..because the cabins are larger and the passengers think they're getting a great deal. Sometimes the cruise line sells an ablebodied passenger a handicapped cabin because the cruiseline itself is not paying attention (or not caring).

If you go back and read your orginal post to this thread, and realizing that the people reading it don't know you or your physical condition, I don't see any problem with you being asked by others on this board if you actually NEED the cabin. A simple "yes" or "no" would have been a sufficient response.

If indeed you do need the accessible cabin, then maybe you can understand how frustrating it would be if you tried to book it, and found out all the accessible cabins were already booked (by ablebodied people who didn't care).

Three Rings

Ms Katee,

I was on the Island, twin to the Coral, and sailed in an accessible cabin. I'm guessing that they are mostly alike, but would be glad to answer any questions. We had a balcony cabin, on Caribe deck. I would not book the cabin we had again, but I would book the one next door to it.

The facilities were well arranged, and we had room for my scooter and a folding wheelchair. The bathroom was like most, and the shower did manage to get most of the floor of the bathroom wet, even though the drain almost encircled the shower area. There was a curtain. There was very little storage in the bathroom. We had to carry stuff in and out whenever we used the bath. The sink is open at the bottom to provide room for a wheelchair to get close, so there are no shelves there. There were bars around the back and one side of the toilet. The shower had a fold down seat, horizontal and vertical bars, and a handheld shower. There is a call bell in the bathroom and I THINK, in the bedroom. There were short clothing rods in the closet, reachable from a chair, and some shelves. There was a ramp into the bathroom and onto the balcony. We had the balcony ramps removed as I can walk a bit, and it was easier to step onto the balcony than to take my scooter out there.

Ms Katee,

I'm guessing that they are mostly alike, but would be glad to answer any questions. We had a balcony cabin, on Caribe deck. I would not book the cabin we had again, but I would book the one next door to it.

<insert confused look here>

If they're all the same, why would you book the one next to it, but not the one you had? What were the differences? For the sake of others, would you say which cabin number you had and which one you would have booked instead?

Thanks,

Three Rings

<insert confused look here>

If they're all the same, why would you book the one next to it, but not the one you had? What were the differences? For the sake of others, would you say which cabin number you had and which one you would have booked instead?

Thanks,

Three Rings

Sorry, I should have explained. We were in C633. The cabin was nicely appointed and had a large veranda. The problem, for us, was that it is adjacent to a bump out cabin and the balconies sort of connect. There is no privacy for you or for that bump out balcony. C627 would have been more private. I don't need an abnormal amount of privacy, but it would be nice to have a private discussion on our balcony. This was sort of like sitting on a banquette in a restaurant, with the tables close beside one another. This problem would be the same on the port side in C620 versus C618. This seems to be the case ONLY on the Caribe Deck. This situation would not be a deal breaker for me, it just would have been more pleasant if we had booked differently.

Do check out Tom's wonderful site, with pictures, about the balcony cabins on the Coral and the Island.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Archived