Stanley Park - how to get around in May?

We'll be in Vancouver on May 11th (next friday), leaving on a Cruise on Saturday. We wanted to see Stanley park, but I've read that the trolly in the park doesn't start operating until later in the season. How would one get around without a car? I see a bus can take us to the park from downtown, but then what? Will we be able to see much on our own wihtout the trolly? Thanks for your info!

Perhaps a local will have a better answer tomorrow, but last May, I just walked along the sea wall because there was no shuttle. There are organized tours of town that include the park, but that didn't appeal to me. This year, there is the added problem of the damage from last November's (?) storm--parts of the park may still be closed. Two other places of interest might be Queen Elizabeth Park, and the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden--both of these can be reached by public transport.

The best part will be seen walking the seawall, although parts of it will still be closed due to damage from winter storms. This will be much better than any kind of tour or trolley (weather permitting, of course). The park is about a 20-30 minute walk from the downtown core and Canada Place Cruise ship terminal.

Enjoy!

What about the horse-drawn carriages that I have heard about? Are they available in May? Any comment about them from locals and those who had taken them?

Thanks!

The horse-drawn carriages should be available next weekend, but that is dependent on the weather. It's been rather cool up here as of late, so they may delay the carriages until the following weekend (which is a long weekend in Canada).

Depending on where you are staying in Vancouver, it's not far to walk to Stanley Park from Canada Place. It should take about 45 mins to walk to the Totem Poles. Once at the Park, there's lots to see and do without the carriage. You can walk part of the sea wall (a good chunk is still closed after winter storms), see the aquarium, or just enjoy the scenery.

Have fun and I hope the weather is nice for you next weekend!

with cruise season in full swing I think pretty much everything is up and running. (4 ships in town today & it's gorgeous out http://www.katkam.ca/ )

I saw the horse drawn carriages in stanley park earlier this week so I think they're running! http://www.stanleyparktours.com/

also the trolley http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/ and bigbus http://www.bigbus.ca/ tourist buses jump on jump offs have been going for awhile already this year.. they narrate their drives & they both go through stanley park.

Have fun..

if you're online in the next while you'll be able to see today's ships leaving port! vancouver alaska cruise ship webcam and seawalk webcams at http://vancouverview.com/

8,800 PAX in town this weekend along with the Vancouver marathon..... too may people's and to few taxi's :(

The carriages are on the go. no problem. Part of the Sea Wall from the Bridge to the West is still closed.

bikes are indeed a great way to see the park.

What about the horse-drawn carriages that I have heard about? Are they available in May? Any comment about them from locals and those who had taken them?

Thanks!

The horse drawn trolley (not really a carriage) was operating last weekend. We were on it, being pulled by two very charming geldings Pepper and Lance... This ride runs about one hour, covers the eastern part of the park and was very comfortable.

LL

8,800 PAX in town this weekend along with the Vancouver marathon..... too may people's and to few taxi's :(

The carriages are on the go. no problem. Part of the Sea Wall from the Bridge to the West is still closed.

bikes are indeed a great way to see the park.

The taxis were plentiful near the Park, Granville Island and downtown.

The Vancouver Trolley was another matter (see my post on a thread I started this morning.) Save your money - avoid the Grayline, which runs the double decker buses and the Vancouver Trolley. I am asking my credit card company to reverse the charges for non-performance. They were totally unable to handle the demand, except when it came to taking your $35 fare.

JMHO

LL

Here is more information on the park http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/Parks/parks/stanley/gettingthere.htm

the carriages are running they are about an hour and would give you a good overview of the park - but the best way to explore the park when the free shuttles are not running is by bike that way you can get where you want and stop when you want. The shuttles are great - easy to hope on and hop off of. and a really really great way to see all the different areas of the park. The Sea Wall is a nice walk, The aquarium is a good way to spent 4-5 hours - Prospect Point was a mess when I was there last month, and I noticed lots of trail closures, but it will be years before the park is cleaned up and decades before it is even close to how it used to be

I am planing on heading to the park tomorrow so I can post more information on Sunday

Archived