Legend only Questions! Post 'em Here!

Cleavis

Hello! I'm going on my first cruise next March and have a question or two!

Does the group children's "play area/club" cost? Is it basically a daycare setting? I will have a 2 and 3 year old. Does it cost (I know babysitting does)

The Legend has a water slide, right?

Kids wading pool?

Tell me more about the famous spa showers :D

I will have 2 adults and 2 kids- is the foldout couch big enough for 2 kids?

Can we have a do not disturb sign, and negatives if we don't want anyone coming to the room while we are gone? Will the capers still come?

Any tips for a fist time cruiser? I will be inviting 20+ of my friends and family too...so any tips are very welcome!

Planning a group cruise (10 year renewal of vows) and will have LOTS of questions soon!

THANK YOU!:)

The Legend has a water slide' date=' right?

Kids wading pool?[/quote']

Yes to both. All pools/slide are saltwater.

Tell me more about the famous spa showers :D

Kohler fixtures. Overhead rain head and side fixtures. All very nice. ;)

I will have 2 adults and 2 kids- is the foldout couch big enough for 2 kids?

I would say no. It doesn't really fold out like on RCI ships. You'd want to put one in the fold down pullman and one on the couch.

Can we have a do not disturb sign, and negatives if we don't want anyone coming to the room while we are gone? Will the capers still come?

There is a Do Not Disturb sign. I'm not sure if they'd come into your room to deliver the Capers with it out though. They may put the Capers in your mailbox.

Any tips for a fist time cruiser? I will be inviting 20+ of my friends and family too...so any tips are very welcome!

Read through this thread for your tips.

KenMo

Sorry about that :D

Here is the link to my review

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=37671

Akkarebear,

thanks so much for posting your pictures and review links. I enjoyed all of them.

I've got a quesion about the tender to Bannister Island Caye, in Belize. I'm sorry it's a little long.

A little background first--

My dd and sil my go with us--my dd is handicapped (lupus and rh with a deteriating spine--she's only 37) she rides a scooter a good bit--but can walk short distances.

I've already told her she may not be able to leave the ship in Belize--those tenders are wild :D been there/done that! but with her limitations it would be very hard for her to board them and the rough ride could injure her spine

So my question is this--how is the tender ride and boarding for the "special" tender to Bannister Island? Is it easy on and off and is the tender ride smooth? Once off the tender how long is the walk to the beach? She loves the beach and water and says when she is "floating" is the only time she is totally pain free.

Thanks for any info you or anyone else can give me.

Hello

We are trying to get a group together for this sailing and have spent HOURS and hours reading through all these posts to get selling points.

This kind of information is priceless! it's like having an extended family that cruises all the time and writes down what they did. It creates shortcuts to fun during the one week on the ship - why not get the most out of your cruise?

THANK YOU to all who have posted, especially to those that included links! It will make our cruise that much better!

sue

Hi gapeachcruzr -

Haven't stayed in that room, but if you do a google or yahoo search for "carnival legend 8189" (or any other room number that is near yours, per the Carnival website deck plans), you will most likely get the info you are seeking.

Looks like we are on the same cruise. :)

Hi gapeachcruzr -

Haven't stayed in that room, but if you do a google or yahoo search for "carnival legend 8189" (or any other room number that is near yours, per the Carnival website deck plans), you will most likely get the info you are seeking.

Looks like we are on the same cruise. :)

Hi EJHx2

Thanks, I will try this. We have a roll call going for our cruise with meet and greet time for day 1 for anyone who is interested. Here is the link!http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=518953

Hello

We are trying to get a group together for this sailing and have spent HOURS and hours reading through all these posts to get selling points.

This kind of information is priceless! it's like having an extended family that cruises all the time and writes down what they did. It creates shortcuts to fun during the one week on the ship - why not get the most out of your cruise?

THANK YOU to all who have posted, especially to those that included links! It will make our cruise that much better!

sue

Hey did I just see right your Sail on 11/30/08? Thats when the aWife and me are going. Last crusie I was ona bunch of us from here hooked We had a blast.

Akkarebear,

thanks so much for posting your pictures and review links. I enjoyed all of them.

I've got a quesion about the tender to Bannister Island Caye, in Belize. I'm sorry it's a little long.

A little background first--

My dd and sil my go with us--my dd is handicapped (lupus and rh with a deteriating spine--she's only 37) she rides a scooter a good bit--but can walk short distances.

I've already told her she may not be able to leave the ship in Belize--those tenders are wild :D been there/done that! but with her limitations it would be very hard for her to board them and the rough ride could injure her spine

So my question is this--how is the tender ride and boarding for the "special" tender to Bannister Island? Is it easy on and off and is the tender ride smooth? Once off the tender how long is the walk to the beach? She loves the beach and water and says when she is "floating" is the only time she is totally pain free.

Thanks for any info you or anyone else can give me.

If you don't get an answer here for this, you may want to also post it in the ports of call thread for Belize...and you can also call Carnival directly and maybe they can give you more information. I certainly hope she can go...water is such wonderful therapy, especially the ocean! Good luck!

We have just received our stateroom assignment of 8189 on the Panorama deck. Has anyone had this room or one near it and how was the overhead noise from the Lido deck? I have tried to search this but it is temporarily unavailable.

Thanks

You can look at the deck plans on Carnival's site. Your cabin is actually not under any pools or even the Unicorn Cafe, since it is in back of the elevators. So you shouldn't hear any real noise from above. We had 8169

which is a little more forward and we didn't have any issues to speak of.

Have a great cruise!!! It's awesome!:D

If you don't get an answer here for this, you may want to also post it in the ports of call thread for Belize...and you can also call Carnival directly and maybe they can give you more information. I certainly hope she can go...water is such wonderful therapy, especially the ocean! Good luck!

Thanks Linda, I was thinking the same thing--but since this is the "Legend" thread--I thought maybe someone had recently done this excursion.

Yes water is wonderful therapy!

This might be a strange question but does anyone remember if the showers have the removalable shower heads or are they fixed. Mom is a senior and the take down model is easier for her to manage. Cruising the Legend on May 18th...Ya Hooo!!!:) :) :) :) :) :)

You need a passport' date=' right? When I called Carnival, they said I had to call another agency to get an answer:confused:[/quote']

Yes, you absolutely need a passport to embark upon any cruise ship now.

Plus carry your passport with you when you go onto any one of the islands. Chances are you won't be asked for it, but, in the god-awful event that you would not get back in time and miss the ship... you should really have your passport and probably a credit card ready too (to get you to the next port of call). :eek:

There were two people who missed our ship in Belize... not sure what they did for transportation to Roatan.

Jodie

Great...Thanks for the information, Jodie...I'm busy thinking about everything my Mom might need and she's bouncing off the walls already!!!:)

Nancy

Nancy, We just returned from the Legend on Sunday. We brought my MIL along with us, she is 78. She was able to do most of our excursions, but you are right... gotta think about those what-ifs!

Hi Nancy,

The cruise-hands were pretty good about assisting mom into the tender (even though the tender was rocking up and down slightly). Just make sure she holds onto something... be it a person's hand or a railing... until she is seated. Once at the port, it was not as rocky and very easy to get off or on.

This was my MILs first cruise. She was greatful for the experience, but told me she probably wouldn't do it again. We had a rough time returning on Sunday, half the ship (including the staff) were sea-sick. Mom just hung out in her room... not quite the "fun" day at sea. But overall, it was a good experience for her.

Jodie

p.s. oh I should mention that mom has had knee surgery so she is not so good with steps either, but she did it.

Jodie

Thanks for all the info...

Just wondering what ports you went to with your Mom??? My Mom is nervous about going anywhere far from the port as she is scared because it is just us 2 women??? She is having cataract surgery on one eye before we leave so I'm more concerned about that...than anything else!

Nancy

:)

Nancy,

Our excursions for this cruise were Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Belize, and Roatan.

All of our excursions were booked through private tour guides by learning about them on these boards. I totally have confidence that the guides who are mentioned here base their livelihood off of maintaining a good reputation. In fact, of the 25+ ports of call that we've been to, we booked only two excursions through Carnival. The first was bad and the second one worst. We will not book through them again.

I will mention that in Belize, we had a tight schedule. We booked through BelizeCruiseExcursions dot com for a trip to Xunantunich Mayian ruins. It was a two hour drive one-way. Since it was a tender port, Carnival was tendering off Carnival-booked excursions first. HOWEVER, we did go down to the Follies the same time they told their Carnival booked excursions to and simply stated that we needed to meet our guide by 9:30am. They did get us there about 9:40am.

Tell your mom that the native people of the islands you'll be visiting are wonderful. Have her be ready to meet some great people from another culture.

Also, be willing to join your group of two with others. Most private tours don't do the cattle herding like the cruise ships, but nothing wrong with joining up with a few other people... let the tour guide know you'd be willing to do that.

But...my disclaimer would be that you do need to do your research. I base my decisions on what I hear here... even if there is one (or two) so-so comments, but an overwhelming list of good comments, I'll booked the guide.

Signing out for tonight,

Jodie

You can look at the deck plans on Carnival's site. Your cabin is actually not under any pools or even the Unicorn Cafe, since it is in back of the elevators. So you shouldn't hear any real noise from above. We had 8169

which is a little more forward and we didn't have any issues to speak of.

Have a great cruise!!! It's awesome!:D

Thanks for this info Linda!

You need a passport' date=' right? When I called Carnival, they said I had to call another agency to get an answer:confused:[/quote']

Yes, you absolutely need a passport to embark upon any cruise ship now.

Technically, you are not required to have a passoprt to cruise, as long as you are not flying to a foreign port to embark (or disembarking at a foreign port and need to fly back to the U.S.) The passport requirement for sea travel has been pushed back, yet again, to 2009.

Is a passport a good thing to have in case you're stranded and need to fly back to the U.S. (or have an emergency that requires you to fly home)? Sure. Is it required to sail out of Tampa? No.