Dress on QM 2 Caribbean Cruises

This question is for all of you who have sailed the Queen Mary 2 on Caribbean Cruises.
Is the dress less formal than on crossings. What is worn on Semi-Formal and Casual nights?
We have taken many cruises on Celebrity and and this is a dressy line and wonder if QM2 would be about the same. My wife is becoming apprehensive as she heard that most nights were on the formal side.

One is expected to dress as formal on a Caribbean Cruise as on a crossing if the dress code calls for formal. What you may get however, is a less formal attitude by some passengers which is reflected in their dress.

If we have a Captain McNaught (sp) substituting we shall have more formal nights. On a 6 day Bermuda Cruise we had 3 with him, yet on the same cruise the year before with Captain Paul Wright, only 2 formal nights. For 10 days would guess four formal nights but am not sure.

Formal – used to be Gown for ladies but now allows a cocktail dress. For men is black tie but also a dark suit.

Semi Formal (believe it is called Informal on Cunard) is a cocktail dress, nice dress or dressy pants suit. For men it is a suit and tie.

If its states Elegant Casual, this is akin to Country Club Casual, meaning very nice Resort Wear.

Casual means slacks, blouse for ladies and for men a golf shirt will do (should have a collar). No shorts. I have seen Capri’s on QE2 and QM2 for casual.

Usually the Casual nights are after port days (but not always).

For Pirates Ball night, some seem to think they may dress up in Pirate Costume for dinner - not so.

Hope this helps. We are sailing November 6th, how about you?

Jeanne

I too was worried after all I had heard about clothes for QM2. I was on 10 May sailing to Caribbean.

Formal nights (3) were very dressy - gowns or very fancy cocktail length dresses for women (think Sequins) and tuxes on 90% of men.

Informal nights (3) were akin to dressing to go to a very expensive restaurant in the city.
Very nice dresses without sequins, men in dark suits with dark tie.

Casual (2) were first night and last. Skirt/blouse or slacks were fine for women. Still dressy though. Men wore nice slacks and jacket, some with no tie.

Daytime was also a little dressier than other Caribbean cruises I had been on. Capri's were fine, and tops that covered oneself. Many men in Bermuda shorts and polo shirts during the daytimes.

It was wonderful to see so many people so beautifully dressed all evening!!!

Balls -- Black/white, Pirates, Ascot -- are held after the dinner hour in the Queens Room, so you dress for dinner as the Daily Program says, and if you want to participate in the Balls you can change for those. Although I wore Black and White to Dinner as I had formal wear that was black and white, then went to the ball afterwards.

P.S. I took too many shoes!!!!

Archived