Which would you use Enterprise, Dollar, Budget or Avis

jhawks

We will be coming in a night before the cruise into FLL arriving around 11 pm & renting a car for a cruise out of MIA. I understand the car rentals are right there at the airport in FLL but we will need to drop the car off around the port of Miami the next day. Which rentals have shuttle service from their drop points to the pier or is taking a taxi the best option? Which rental company is closest to pier? I've seen the posts regarding Avis & did put the coupon code in, but I can get a better corporate rate thru my company discount from the other three. But if the other three are farther or not as reliable, I don't think I'd be ahead. Any thoughts?? :confused: HELP!!

We are renting from Enterprise and staying at the Hyatt in Miami. There is an Enterprise desk at the Hyatt and we are leaving the car there and taking a cab to the ship rather than going back to the airport to get a free shuttle. It isn't worth the hassle to us - it's easier for us to leave the car when we check out.

We did what you did: flew into FLL and cruised out of Miami. Car rental in FLL was pretty simple; they have a nice terminal at the airport and a big parking structure with hundreds of cars.

To return in Miami, you will probably be returning to the airport and taking a (free) shuttle to the pier. Verify which companies will do this and put "port of Miami" in the "return to" box. They will then shuttle you to the pier.

We used Alamo because the price was right with the upgrade coupon we had. I hear Hertz has a downtown office; the Hyatt has an Enterprise desk as the other poster said.

TIP: The only difficult thing about returning to the MIA airport is that they are doing a lot of construction right now. Follow the "Rental Car Return" signs religiously (we took an extra scenic trip around the airport:rolleyes: ) and the agencies are clustered on the east side a mile or so away.

Our rental-car experience went very easily and gave us some extra sightseeing time on either end of our too-short vacation.

I wouldn't pay for the gas option up front. The needle didn't even move off of full, so we didn't add any gas at all!

Good luck,

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

If you want the least hassles with the easiest in and out, 5 minutes from the port, then go with the agency closest to the port...Avis. If you have plenty of time on your hands, not in a hurry, enjoy visiting all of the terminals, jostling for a seat and want to save a few dollars then go with the airport drop off. ;)

Archived