The Gallery Inn

ladylynne

Having just stayed a night in Old San Juan's The Gallery Inn..I feel I have to give it it's recognition it deserves. The Gallery Inn is located at the northwest corner of Old San Juan overlooking the ocean. Looking out our balcony window, I saw the ocean straight on, the old barrier wall just across the street and the old fort to my left. My husband has always been the clean sterile type so he viewed this Inn as more clutter but unique. I have to admit unique and adventurous. From the airport the cab fare was $20. We came upon this clean building with no neon signs or large parking area. It looked like any other residence along the street. As we entered the iron gate, we were greeted immediately by a staff man and he assisted us in our luggage. To our immediate left was a room with a big wood door, this was a guest room. The open courtyard was home to a few other large parrots. Chairs were positioned along with tables for relaxation or light dining. The staff was very friendly and professional as they checked us in. They explained their nightly wine and cheese tasting and free breakfast each morning. Our room was back out to the court yard, down three steps, thru a glass door, and up another flight of stairs. We were in "Doc Joe's" room. (each room had a name). We payed a little more extra for this room (It was just slightly over $300) but we had a double balcony which I explained in the review earlier. The large king sized wood post bed was that of the 18th century reflecting the era which this building was built. A couch, a couple chairs and a desk were also arranged but left us plenty of room with much closet space. The bathroom was adequate and was even equipped with a bidet. Each room was air conditioned and had a large ceiling fan. The decor consisted of much of the owner's artwork thruout the room and the entire Inn. As we explored the inn, we searched for several of the other rooms. If they were vacant, the doors were left open. Each room was quaint in it's own way...some with balconies, some without. (The honeymoon suite came with a hot tub on the balcony.) Some of the rooms were among different sets of staircases, some winding and steep, some upstairs, some downstairs. Then we were able to head up to the roof of the balcony where they had two levels of sitting area. The top area giving a 360 degree view of Old San Juan. We didn't eat dinner at their dining room only bacause we were walking around the city and ate at senor frogs (Over rated in my book). We did eat breakfast there and everything was homemade.... an egg dish, some biscuits, boxed cereal, local fruit and a few other things. The Inn is within walking distance to the piers (not the panamerican pier tho) but wasn't in my interest to walk down a steep cobblestone road with 3 pieces of lugguge...but it could be done and it would save you $10 in cab fare.

I have to say I am so glad we stayed here. It was so different from the Caribe Hilton where we stayed before. I loved being within the blocks of all the city and being able to walk everywhere to site see. It did appear pricey but whats a few hundred more after already spending a few thousand on a cruise.

This isn't the best place for people that may have a hard time with stairs or even hauling lugguge up stairs. ( we are mid 40's and had no problem). Guests must come with an open mind and remember that this building was built over 300 years ago so there will be some dust hiding in the corners and some dampness lurking in some area (due to the many open court yards within the walls).

If you want to see pictures or do more research on this, you can google it as well as see revirews on trip advisor.

But I loved it.

Archived