Scuba in Caymen

Mrichy555

I know this will prolly get moved to the Port of Calls forum, but those forums are semi-dead so I figured I'd inquire this here.

After reading about the unfortunate death in the Caymen Islands, I was reading the thread about it and read alot about Jellyfish stinging people there. Since I'm going scuba diving with Native Waterway in Caymen Islands, I was wondering if there is something I can do or wear to avoid getting stung. Sounds like a dumb question in restrospect but that's okay. Is it rare to get stung??

Of course you can buy a wetsuit or even what is called a drysuit but those are costly and will be useless afterwards so I suggest full long sleve teeshirts, and rubberbands on your wrist, and some sort of legging for your lower half...

Cheap might already own them ... now for Jellyfish stings this is a great product..

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/aemed/0165-1830

After Sting® Jellyfish Sting Relief Gel – 1 oz. gel

0165-1830.jpgGuaranteed In-Stock

Code: 0165-1830

Price: $4.99

Review Rating: Not yet rated

Quantity: After Sting® Gel stops the painful burning, itching and swelling of stings and bites and begins the healing process. Provides immediate, effective relief from the stings of Jelly Fish. This soothing gel is formulated from natural baking soda and other powerful bite treatment ingredients for fast relief from painful stings and bites. Keep this in your save-a-dive kit, or medical kit and I promise you'll thank me! - Joe

After Sting® Jellyfish Sting Relief Gel – 1 oz. gel ReviewsAverage Customer Review: no ratings

Write a review and share your thoughts with fellow divers!

Customer Reviews just started last year. Please help us by reviewing this product!

:

back.gif

I went diving in the Caymens many times and I have never had a problem. Not to say it can't happen, when you go to the dive shop im sure they will ask you if you want a wet suit. I dive up here in NJ in the cold water with a wet suit in the summer so when I go down to the islands to dive a shirt and bathing suit is all I use. The last dive I did in the Caymens was so so. Belize, and Cozumel were great dives. Cozumel is a drift dive. Belize and Cozumel had better dive tours from Carnival than the caymens hands down.

Something like a Warm water Suit can protect you, also wear gloves

Except you aren't supposed to wear gloves in the Cayman Islands.

You also don't want a shortie if you want the most complete physical protection. Get a 1 mm full suit for very warm water or a 3 mm full suit for water temps 80 and less. Personally, a 3 mm full suit is the minimum I'd wear. I've never been too warm on a dive.

In the springtime there are gatherings of thimble jellyfish. The microscopic larvae of these thimble jellyfish can cause a strong skin reaction in some people.

Efforts to prevent stings by using barrier clothing (t-shirt, rash vest, wetsuit) may be counterproductive. The larvae are small enough to slip through the weave of the fabric or gaps in the wetsuit seal, and then get trapped against the skin where they are more likely to sting.

Chemical barrier protection in the form of SeaSafe suncream is tested and does help to reduce the odds of being stung.

Finally, much more rarely, portuguese man-o-war jellyfish occasionally come through Cayman waters. These are much larger and can usually be easily avoided by using due care and watching where you are swimming.

Last point:

It is illegal to wear gloves while diving or snorkelling in Cayman waters. It is a part of the Marine Law here.

ok, maybe this is a dumb question, as i have only done one beginner scuba dive....which i might add was the highlight of my entire cruise!!

but why can't you wear gloves?

p.s. i plan to get certified this summer so i can TRULY go on a dive!!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

but why can't you wear gloves?

You can't wear gloves while diving or snorkelling in Cayman waters because it is a violation of the Marine Law. :cool:

Why is that? It is a subject that divers endlessly debate.

One side of the argument states that gloves are needed, even in warm water, to protect against possible cuts and abrasions from (Choose as many as apply: coral, dive knife, barnacles on the mooring line, dive ladders, etc...).

The other side of the argument states those are not real concerns because you simply should (Choose as many as apply: not touch the coral, not carelessly handle a dive knife, look where you grab the mooring line so as not to grab barnacles, use care when boarding a dive ladder.)

Both arguments have firm believers, as fervent as any I've ever seen.

In the case of the Cayman Islands the arguments have already been considered and the government here has chosen to enact a ban on wearing gloves as a part of the Marine Law. Please respect our law during your time in our islands.

Archived