cruising during Christmas???

soccerstar1288

We (17 of us - three generations) went on a Christmas cruise, RT San Francisco to Mexican Riviera, on P&O's Oriana, way back in 1970, when P&O was trying to compete with Princess and before they bought it!

We had a great time, and my now adult children and their cousins still talk about it very fondly.

Father Christmas (the English version of St.Nick) did find the ship at sea, and had gifts for all the passengers!

If you can put up with lots of exited children, I recommend a Christmas cruise.

You will meet a lot of really nice Jewish people.:)

Actually, it was Christmas and Hanukkah on my last cruise. If you're doing this cruise just to avoid Christmas music and decorations, forget it. Even on the in-cabin tv, all the audio channels played Christmas music just before 12/24 and until 12/26. Just Christmas music.

On 12/25, we were sitting in the Horizon Court for lunch when there was a PA announcement that the bridge was tracking a sight in the sky. Just a short while, another announcement that the ship has a visitor. The kids were in the Wheelhouse Bar for a party and each of them got a gift. Christmas Eve was formal night and there was a special menu.

A priest, reverend and rabbi (yes, sounds like a joke) were onboard to lead services. We went to the candle lighting for the first night of Hanukkah and there were many passengers in there, many of whom brought onboard their own menorah to participate. Ours was a foam sticker one that we put up in our cabin.

We were on the same cruise as Patty. We loved cruising at Christmas. This last year we cruised New Year's and discovered that we loved being gone over the holidays! So, as soon as we returned, we booked another Christmas cruise. Although DD doesn't know it yet! Shhhhhhh

Expensive - although deals are still to be found, even for Christmas week

Lots of kids

Spending Christmas day out at the pool in the middle of the ocean

Santa visit with gifts

Ship decorated beautifully

We can't wait to go again. We already have Christmas 2008 planned... even though it is a land vacation. We have decided to always be gone during the holidays. We don't have large families with holiday committments, so it makes it an easy decision.

We were on the Crown last Christmas and it was GREAT not being home for the holidays!! The ship was decorated beautifully and there were lots and lots of kids. We went with our two kids (2 and 4) and DH's mom and DH's sister and family. On Christmas day, we were on St. Kitts and we did the sugar cane train tour around the island. It was a wonderful way to spend xmas morning. Back on the ship in the afternoon, there were activities for the kids in the Atrium (and perhaps in the kid's clubs too, but my kids didn't go there.) Santa made an appearance and he gave out gifts and the kids could get their photos taken with him. I know there were other holiday activities on board, but we didn't partake. We brought a little fake tree with ornaments and our stockings. I highly recommend a holiday cruise!

We were on the same cruise as Patty. We loved cruising at Christmas. This last year we cruised New Year's and discovered that we loved being gone over the holidays! So, as soon as we returned, we booked another Christmas cruise. Although DD doesn't know it yet! Shhhhhhh

Expensive - although deals are still to be found, even for Christmas week

Lots of kids

Spending Christmas day out at the pool in the middle of the ocean

Santa visit with gifts

Ship decorated beautifully

We can't wait to go again. We already have Christmas 2008 planned... even though it is a land vacation. We have decided to always be gone during the holidays. We don't have large families with holiday committments, so it makes it an easy decision.

We did enjoy being away during the holidays too. The passengers seemed to be more festive than on other cruisers. I think we would do this again (I hope). And considering that we need to plan any trips while our daughter is out of school, we are limited to the last week of June through the end of August, the last two weeks of December through the first week of January, and the week before Easter.

We did enjoy being away during the holidays too. The passengers seemed to be more festive than on other cruisers. I think we would do this again (I hope). And considering that we need to plan any trips while our daughter is out of school' date=' we are limited to the last week of June through the end of August, the last two weeks of December through the first week of January, and the week before Easter.[/quote']

Hi Patty! Each time I see posts by you, I check your signature for a booking. Any news on your hubby's situation?

We've done a Christmas or New Year's cruise almost every year for the past six years. As others have said, there are lots of families and lots of kids on these cruises plus because they are over the holidays, expect to pay 2x - 3x what you would a couple of weeks before or after, not to mention very high airfares. However, it's been worth it to us.

We found that the Mexican Riviera Christmas cruise to be much more laid back with large families celebrating Christmas and exchanging presents in the lounges on Christmas Day. Santa arriving is always a big hit with the younger children with each one getting a little present.

Our observation of Caribbean cruises over Christmas is that there was a much larger percentage of non-Christians and although the ship(s) are beautifully decorated, fewer family Christmas celebrations (at least from what we could see.) These cruises felt more like "get away from winter" than "let's get the family together for Christmas" type cruises. These are just my observations. I doubt we'll take another Christmas cruise although you never know.

Hi Patty! Each time I see posts by you, I check your signature for a booking. Any news on your hubby's situation?

Mediation thru the EEOC on May 17th. If things go fine, we can start planning a vacation. If not, we can't plan anything for a while. So keep your fingers crossed for us.

Mediation thru the EEOC on May 17th. If things go fine' date=' we can start planning a vacation. If not, we can't plan anything for a while. So keep your fingers crossed for us.[/quote']

Most definitely will keep fingers crossed and good thoughts headed your way!!!

My family (mom, dad and brother) went over Christmas on the Sun Princess in 2004. It was quite a special experience to snorkel on Christmas Day at Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas. That's certainly not something you can do in December in Indianapolis! (well, really you can't ever snorkel in Indiana, but that's beside the point).

Also, we found the shops to be open on Christmas Day in St. Thomas, and there was a christmas carol show that the locals were enjoying in a park near the strip in Charlotte Amalie.

The ship had protestant and catholic christmas eve and morning services in one of the lounges, complete with communion.

I don't remember an over-abundance of kids, and the prices seem to run maybe $200 more a person for a 7-night cruise -- so not too much of a premium. Hope that helps!

Archived