The Famous Italian Coast - Cinque Terre

mopat

We are on Emerald Princess June 2008 and one of the ports is Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy. We are considering the ship excursion The Famous Italian Coast - Cinque Terre. Have always wanted to visit the 5 villages. It's a 9 1/2 hour tour. Any comments, satisfied or dissatisfied, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

We went to the Cinque Terre last year it was a great day. We went on our own and not with a tour. We hiked all 5 of the villages it is a truly beautiful place and the hiking was great. I would say go and have a great time.

We went to the Cinque Terre last year it was a great day. We went on our own and not with a tour. We hiked all 5 of the villages it is a truly beautiful place and the hiking was great. I would say go and have a great time.

Thank you so much. My husband is really excited about this excursion. I think we will definitely do it, but probably not as adventurous as you - we'll do the ship excursion. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

I would definitely go to Cinque Terre...I have been twice on my own. We took a train out of Florence into La Spezia (?)...then a local train on into the little towns...We usually got off in the middle (can't remember the name of the town) and had lunch, and walked back to the first town and caught the train back into Florence. To me, there's no place in Italy that is more beautiful. Now, I'm sure that's up for debate...but it's really pretty and very quaint.

I spent 3 weeks in Italy in 2006 taking trains everyday since we used centrally located towns as bases for day trips.

For example we stayed Santa Margherita Ligure and went to Cinque Terre for 2 days so it would be relaxing.

NOT ONCE in those 3 weeks was a train ever on time and not by a few minutes but hours.

I would take the ships tour.

It's a beautiful area and you shouldnt miss it.

I do have a name of a private driver in the area who we are while in Florence for a day to San Gimi and Volterra and another day to the small country of San Marino.

He would probably be 400-500 dollars for the day for a mini van.

If you want the contact info let me know

isailtheseas at msn dot come

Hi MoPat,

We will be on the Emerald a month before you next year and are also planning to take the Cinque Terre tour . It is a long tour and we felt we would have a little more piece of mind using the package offered by Princess. You might want to check out the Mediterranean - Eastern & Western forum on CC and do a search on "Cinque Terre". Lots of info there

49er

Make sure you have lots of memory cards or film... Cinque Terre is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to!

I agree, timing in Italy is not so, well, reliable... trains are late often. I would probably take the ship excursion, especially since you are looking to see all 5 towns.

Went to Italy for a "land vacation" on our own in 2006. We spent 3 days in the Cinque Terre and stayed in Vernazza. You'll love it.

Do take the tour, not so much because you can't get around on your own, but because it will take you too much time to get to Cinque Terre from Livorno if you take the trains.

Enjoy Cinque Terre and have a gelato for me!!! ;)

LOVE the Cinque Terra! DH and I have been there twice, unrelated to cruising. The five little villages are largely unaccessible by car, but there is a handy train that stops in each town. The train goes from one village, then into a long dark tunnel, and emerges at the next village. In order from La Spezia: Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso. The hiking between villages will be remembered for a lifetime. Easiest stretch for walking is from Riomaggiore to Manarola, fairly flat, hugging the cliffside, also called "Via dell'amore", the way of love! Very romantic! Watch out for the cheap red wine, though, gave me a whopping headache!

Connections on your own may be too difficult from the port of Livorno to La Spezia, where you will change to the Cinque Terra train, and as previously posted, trains are often late. This might be best done as a ship's excursion.

Archived