Do I need to take a lens hood for my digital SLR?

suzyq964

I am really trying to pack light. I have a Nikon D50 with a 28-90m lens & a 70-300m lens. I am also going to take a Panasonic FZ7 for some excursions. I have never used a lens hood, but both cameras have them. All I know is that they are supposed to elimate lens flare. Is this something I should bring along or not?

Any input will be greatly appreciated. I am just a novice photographer & will not be taking a tripod or anything like that. Thanks again...

Sue

well if you have never used them before then you probably wouldn't use it any way.

I do but not always.

If you don't normally use it I wouldn't bother cause I probably wouldn't take the time to use it on vacation either.

I know I can reverse the lens hood and install backward on the lens for my canon lens during storage. So, it does not take any extra space at all. Not sure whether it is the case the Nikon lens. In any case, my lens hood is always on the lens.

It's totally up to you as to whether to use your lens hoods or not. They are supposed to reduce lens flare and offer a degree of protection to the front elements or filter, if you're using one, from rain or spray. Also using a lens hood seems to convince people that you know what you're doing when you're taking pictures. Personally, I always use them on my lenses.

Why don't you give them a try the next time you're taking pictures. Also see if you can put them on the lenses in the reverse position and see how much extra room that'll take in your camera bag. Ultimately, as I said early, the choice is up to you.

324207.jpg

Do they look like that? The ones that came with your lens? If so, just bring them. They screw on backwards for storage. I can't imagine not taking them cuz then I'd have to find a place to store them. For the Nikon I mean.

The Panny isn't a regular SLR so I dunno if the lens hood reverses or not. If it doesn't, than don't bother if it takes up extra room.

Archived