t, doCanadian Immigration

I know this is a silly question, but here goes... When you go through Customs in Vancouver at the airport, do they stamp your passport? I didn't think they did, since we don't need a visa. My partner thought it would be cool to finally get a stamp in our passports.

Thanks!

dogdoc2002

Edit- excuse the title- the cat was helping me type; I can't seem to be able to get back in to edit that though :(

Also please understand that border control consists of both citizenship/immigration and customs--two entirely different things. You will first go through citizenship/immigration and this where you can (optionally) get your passports stamped. Heck, they even "stamped" my 6-year old's home-made pretend passport! After that, you will go through Canadian customs. The former is to make sure YOU are okay to enter the country and the latter is to make sure YOUR STUFF is okay to enter the country. :)

We just got back from a cruise through the caribbean/usa etc. and the only place that we got a stamp was New York.

Nobody else looked like they were even prepared to do that.

So ask if you want it.

Thanks Ephraim! That'll make my partner's day!

dogdoc2002

Not a problem. Remember, this is Canada... for the most part, we are sickeningly polite and helpful. In some provinces, they are exceedingly sickeningly polite and helpful.

Not a problem. Remember, this is Canada... for the most part, we are sickeningly polite and helpful. In some provinces, they are exceedingly sickeningly polite and helpful.

go ahead and name them :D

dare you :)

We could have used more of the polite and helpful types from here on our cruise. Strikes me as we are slipping in that categorey when we are abroad

I have yet to find sickeningly polite and helpful - maybe it is just a BC thing but aren't Canadians supposed to be apathetic? :)

Oh security at YVR is starting to get a reputation for being mean- so I would recommend asking very nicely at YVR

I guess it must be a BC thing.

I wouldn't tolerate a border guard being nasty or mean. I've stopped a few times after clearing customs and made formal complaints. Our visitors deserve to be treated with respect, even if we aren't when we visit other countries. (Two wrongs don't make a right.)

How long does it take? Well that depends on several things. Are you flying in or driving across the border? If flying, then it is a matter of how many international flights are arriving around the same time as your flight. If you're the only flight arriving, then probably not too long. However, if there are several other international flights arriving at the same (from Europe, the far east, and US) then it could take a couple of hours. If driving, depends on how many cars are in front of you in the line - impossible to determine until you actually get there.

YVR ?

Three flights all from the US at one time.

Took us longer to walk to the booths than at the booths. You then get luggage and get "Choosen" or not.

We were not. Process took 30 minutes to the curb from sealtbelts off. BAggage was down very quick likely due to late arrival.

How long does it usually take to get through Canadian customs - arriving Vancouver from the U.S.?
99% of people clear customs without ever stopping so the time is usually 0! Clearing citizenship/immigration on the other hand will take anywhere from 1 minute to 60 minutes or more--it all depends on how many agents are working that shift and how many other planes arrive at the same time as yours. FWIW, in our three trips through YVR, it never took more than 5-15 minutes to clear Canadian immigration and were never stopped by Canadian customs.

Archived