Directions from Old Montreal to Mont Royal

I don't think you could do it in time if you were walking but if you wanted to. (Important note: Montreal is divided into East/West by St. Lawrence (St-Laurent), so anything to the right (from the water facing Montreal) is east and anything to the left (from the water facing Montreal) is west. The mountain is west of where the ship arrives. Don't rely on the sun for directions in Montreal... our east/west doesn't agree with the sun.... it's simple, the sun is WRONG!

Walk: Just leave the port and walk up St. Lawrence (St-Laurent) until you reach Mount-Royal, turn left (west) and keep on walking until you are at the top (the street changes name to Camille Houde at when ascends). It's a steep walk in parts, though. Or you can follow the Google Map's directions. It's just over 5km from the port. (About a 10 to 15 minute drive.)

Bus: Take the 55 bus on St. Lawrence (St-Laurent) going north. At Mont-Royal get off the bus and take the 11 Montagne (mountain). That should take about 45 minutes. Remember that buses here take exact change and don't give any. Also remember to take a transfer (transfayr) from the bus that you pay for, so you can get on the next bus without paying.

Bus & Metro: Walk from the port to the Place d'Armes metro station using St. Sulpice street. Take the metro to Mont-Royal (direction Henri Bourassa, but it may be renamed direction Montmorency by then, since they are finishing an extension to the Metro) and take the 11 Montagne (mountain) bus up to the mountain. About 45 minutes or so.

Taxi: This would be my choice if what you want to do is see the vistas and then leave. You can also ask him to take you to see the view from Summit Circle in Westmount, which looks over downtown Montreal. The mountain vistas look out over eastern Montreal. (Summit circle must be approached from the Boulevard and takes a windy path to the top).

It works at almost any time of the day. It's harder to see at night, but then it's lit up like a christmas tree and looks pretty as well.

Gee... maybe I should offer gypsy tours with all the people coming to Montreal and wanting to see the city.

Not a problem. But boy, did you make me think about offering my own tours in my Accord.

Montreal is a great city for visitors, but the mountain is a bit more difficult.

Incidentally, the park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, who also designed Central Park in New York City.

"Doing" the mountain is a must. Lots of things to do and the views are great.

I'm not too sure on the time involved getting there though as described. Two yrs ago on a sunny June Day the traffic was nutz around the bottom access roads. We came in from the west (I think)

Everyone was honking at us too.

Of course the fact that my brother had Ontario Lic. plates with a Toronto Maple leaf logo on it couldn't have had anything to do with that.. Could it?

"Doing" the mountain is a must. Lots of things to do and the views are great.

I'm not too sure on the time involved getting there though as described. Two yrs ago on a sunny June Day the traffic was nutz around the bottom access roads. We came in from the west (I think)

Everyone was honking at us too.

Of course the fact that my brother had Ontario Lic. plates with a Toronto Maple leaf logo on it couldn't have had anything to do with that.. Could it?

It could be the fact that he's a Toronto driver. Montreal drivers and Toronto drivers don't mix well (from experience.) I still have nightmares of all the tail-gating in Toronto. They were also fixing the Pine interchange last year. It's much improved this year.

But then again... I'm a Montreal driver. I would have been there honking at you too... and I have nothing against Ontario or the Maple Leafs. There are rather important.. someone has to lose the Stanley Cup.

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the advice on getting to Mont Royal from Old Montreal. We'll be staying at the Hotel Nelligan and that is just what I needed. However once you get the bus to the top how easy is it to get around and down on foot? There are 5 of us and we're pretty fit but one is 82 so I don't want to tire him too much although I would love to walk some of the trails. We are also interested in going to Oratoire St Joseph - is that too far to walk from Mont Royal? IF so will a bus take us close?

Vickie

Thanks for the advice on getting to Mont Royal from Old Montreal. We'll be staying at the Hotel Nelligan and that is just what I needed. However once you get the bus to the top how easy is it to get around and down on foot? There are 5 of us and we're pretty fit but one is 82 so I don't want to tire him too much although I would love to walk some of the trails. We are also interested in going to Oratoire St Joseph - is that too far to walk from Mont Royal? IF so will a bus take us close?

Vickie

I'm sure Ephraim will have more details but I recall being able to drive to specific area's and then walk around there and then drive on again. Sites are quite spread out and walking the complete mountain would likely not be an option except for the young and the very young at heart. (Even though it's just a "Big Hill" compared to out here. :)

Archived