Just want to go to the beach!

travmagic

I am not a cruiser. This is our first true cruise. We usually do all inclusive since we are beach people.

My friends want to do all these excursions at all the islands. I am going along with them, except here. I JUST WANT TO GO TO THE BEACH!

Can we just walk off the ship to get to the beach or do we need to take a taxi. The cruise line offers an excursion to one of the local resorts for $21.00 p/p. That seems high just to use the beach.

Any better options? There are also 7 of us.

Thanks.

It costs around $20.00 for two lounge chairs and an umbrella at many of the beachfront places. The earlier you get there the better because you get to pick out a great spot and you can get an umbrella if you want one.

See pics of Seven Mile Beach in my link below.

We always ask the Taxi Driver to take us to the Hyatt and then walk back along the beach a couple hundred feet for a reasonably priced lounge chair.

Have a great time on your cruise.

Are there any watersports avaliable at Sea Grape Beach?

Red Sail operates out of the Courtyard Marriott (which is right across the street from Sea Grape). I would imagine they have a business shack somewhere along the beach, since the beach area the Courtyard is next to Sea Grape.

We just want someplace we can get chairs (and umbrella) and something inexpensive to eat reasonably close by.

Thanks.

There is nothing inexpensive about Grand Cayman...especially the food. But we found that we always ate everything we ordered...and we did share a lot of things since it was expensive and we didn't want to waste anything.

If you order food, the prices are listed in CD. Most of the time you will find that they will add on a tip to your bill. I think once or twice we may have double tipped.

You could take a cab to Royal Palms. They have food, restrooms, chair rentals (or just put your towel on the sand).

Here's the Royal Palms website....

http://www.reefgrill.com/pages/cruiseinformation.html

Thanks for the site. A chair is a MUST, hubby doesn't do towells in the sand! He had some traumatic experience with sand when he was younger and he has never been the same since! :rolleyes: LOL

Hmmmm...well, it does sound like he'll want a chair! :)

Once you get off the ship, the vans/cabs will be lined up to take you where you want to go. They also will be waiting at Royal Palms, to bring you back to the ship.

The other place that's similar to Royal Palms is Sea Grape, but it's a little bit farther away.

I'd not do any excursion through the ship for your day in Grand Cayman. Cayman is one of those rare islands that you can just do your own thing.

Hi everyone!!! We are also looking for a beach in Grand Cayman...We did the swim with stingrays last excursion and really loved it but this cruise we just want to find a great beach to enjoy. Twinkletoes, you said Royal Palms and Sea Grape beach. Which is the best?

LOOKING FORWARD TO CRUISIN!:D

Tricia

Hi everyone!!! We are also looking for a beach in Grand Cayman...We did the swim with stingrays last excursion and really loved it but this cruise we just want to find a great beach to enjoy. Twinkletoes, you said Royal Palms and Sea Grape beach. Which is the best?

LOOKING FORWARD TO CRUISIN!:D

Tricia

We've not been to either. I am only going on what's been posted here. We no longer visit GC on a ship, so we have our own "stretch" of beach in front of the condo we use when we are on the island. We did drive past Sea Grape many times, and it looked nice.

Sea Grape is at the farther down the 7-mile beach area, where Royal Palms is a bit closer to to port area. I think Royal Palms offers "free" chairs (if I am reading their website right), but I believe you have to pay for your chair rental at Sea Grape.

I'd say either are a good choice. Both offer food, restrooms, water toy rentals and chairs. If you are short on time, I'd probably go to Royal Palms just because it's closer to the port area. Traffic can get clogged near the Ritz (and Sea Grape is just beyond this) and this can add another 15 minutes or more to your travel time back to the port.

Royal Palms is supposed to have a really good Mudslide. Next time we're there...we're going to mosey over for a drink. :)

"There is nothing inexpensive about Grand Cayman...especially the food. But we found that we always ate everything we ordered...and we did share a lot of things since it was expensive and we didn't want to waste anything."

We spend the day on GC and did not fork out 1 cent !

We walked down the main road as you get off the ship, walk to your left, there are nice beaches within easy walking distance of the ship. Lie down your towel and enjoy the sunshine.

I cannot think why anyone coming off a cruise ship wants to eat anything on land :-) We have in the mornings a hearty breakfast onboard and then we are fine for the next 6 hours or so. I can understand someone who has to eat for medical reasons perhaps.. otherwise we are so full of ship food that we dont feel like ordering anything. Drinking is another thing if you are into it. We take each a big bottle of water with us for the day and that is enough to keep us going. I also drink a tall glass of water just before we left the cabin, as to be well hydrated. I also put on lots of sunscreen in the cabin just before we go down to the tenders, that way I can see in the mirror where I blopp on the sunscreen and it takes about 30 mins to start working. On the tenders the sun is hot. No one wants to burn while on a cruise and yet i have seen several burned people on our cruise and I go : Yikes that must really hurt.

Also you dont spend a lot of time off ship anyways, the time on land goes so quick and in no time again you are back onboard.

We spend the day on GC and did not fork out 1 cent ! I cannot think why anyone coming off a cruise ship wants to eat anything on land :-)

When we go on vacation...we enjoy ourselves...and for us, that includes trying different "island" food, or local food. I can have eggs any day...conch fritters are another story! So we don't waste tummy space filling up on breakfast things...since we can get that anytime. :)

But either way...Grand Cayman is a great place.

When we go on vacation...we enjoy ourselves...and for us, that includes trying different "island" food, or local food. I can have eggs any day...conch fritters are another story! So we don't waste tummy space filling up on breakfast things...since we can get that anytime. :)

But either way...Grand Cayman is a great place.

I agree, I can't imagine not trying some of the local specialties. And of course, we need something cold and icey to cool us off;) .

I can't wait. I have never been to GC.

I agree, I can't imagine not trying some of the local specialties. And of course, we need something cold and icey to cool us off;) .

I can't wait. I have never been to GC.

We're the same way...and I loved my Cayman Coladas! Yum!

Of all the places we've been, we like GC the best. It's safe and clean. And the water is just sooooo blue!

I have had a land based vacation there and its the most beautiful water you will see. 7 mile beach is in fact about 5 miles long. Nothing is very cheap there but its worth every penny, no hawkers, no drugs offered, you get what you pay for here. Rum point is a favorite they have a grill restaurant and hammocks strapped to palm trees to just while away a few hours. AHhhh can't wait until september when I get to see this beautiful place once more. :)

• 2 months later...
We've not been to either. I am only going on what's been posted here. We no longer visit GC on a ship, so we have our own "stretch" of beach in front of the condo we use when we are on the island. We did drive past Sea Grape many times, and it looked nice.

twinkletoes:

Since you're pretty much a "local" in my eyes, could you maybe answer this?

We want to do 7 mile beach but we don't want to do Royal Palms. We're just looking for somewhere relaxed & with no one hasseling us to buy things! We will want to rent chairs and umbrellas, however. We're not opposed to hotels (the Hyatt seems nice but I've heard they charge $25 pp for a day pass). Is there anyway to avoid that? I appreciate your opinion!!

twinkletoes:

Since you're pretty much a "local" in my eyes, could you maybe answer this?

We want to do 7 mile beach but we don't want to do Royal Palms. We're just looking for somewhere relaxed & with no one hasseling us to buy things! We will want to rent chairs and umbrellas, however. We're not opposed to hotels (the Hyatt seems nice but I've heard they charge $25 pp for a day pass). Is there anyway to avoid that? I appreciate your opinion!!

You don't know how much I really wish I was "local" and living there all the time. :) And I am happy to try and help you... :)

For starters, no one will hassle you about buying anthing in Grand Cayman. Think Beverly Hills of the Caribbean. If you see something you want, you buy it. CG is nothing like Jamaica (if that's what you were thinking). :)

Hmmmm...as for a place to go on the beach.

Well, Sea Grape is the same set-up as Royal Palms. The only place I would avoid completely is Beach Club Colony. Although I did recently read where someone ejoyed their day there, that was the first positive thing I've heard about the place.

I am not able to think of a place other than Royal Palms or Sea Grape that offers rentals other than the hotels. And I am not sure what hotels do offer this.

What has happened in GC, IMO, is they are allowing too many ships in port each day...the place is a madhouse. I think the Hyatt used to allow a certain number of cruisers to show up and use their facilities at no charge. But I do think this has changed because of the large number of cruisers looking for places to park for the day and enjoy the beach. So many have completely eliminated this practice because there are just too many cruisers on a given day..

You might call or email these hotels. But I just don't know for sure if they do this anymore...

The Hyatt

The Westin Casuarina Resort

Grand Cayman Marriott Beach Resort

I did just think of something....hmmm...I can't remember where I heard this, but I seem to recall hearing that the Comfort Suites offers some sort of a day pass. This place is not too far from the port area, so it would be a short cab ride. In fact, Coconut Joe's is just across the street...yummm...a place we love.

You might give them a ring. Here's their website. If you find out they do offer day passes and you try it out...you'll have to let us know how it went.

http://www.caymancomfort.com/

Here's some pictures I found.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147367-d151089-r8077231-Comfort_Suites_Seven_Mile_Beach-Seven_Mile_Beach_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

Hope this helps! I'll give this some more thought. I also have a friend who visits GC several times a year. I'll email her and ask her these questions. If she comes up with any other suggestions, I'll let you know.

Archived