Pregnancy & Cruising

We scheduled our cruise for 9/8/07 Carnival Triumph to Eastern Caribbean..we are now pregnant and will JUST be at Carnival's cut off time of 27 weeks. Has anyone traveled at 25/26/27 weeks and had any issues boarding cruise? I would like to know if there is anything specific that I need to bring with me from the Dr. stating that we are safe to fly/cruise.

If you had any issues what were they? We are purchasing trip insurance for me just in case, but also in case we have to cancel or reschedule. My fear is that we will get there and not let us go. Our Carnival rep said as long as I was 26 weeks when we board, if I turn 27 weeks while cruising, we are ok to go....Any information will be very appreciated.

That is one option we are considering too' date=' I think we might be fine to move it up a month...we just have to check schedules...I was just trying to avoid a hassle, but since it is early, we might not have too many issues. Thanks![/quote']

There would be no bigger "hassle" than to be denied boarding, and the reality is, while the med staff is competent, they are not prepared to handle pregancy related emergencies and complications.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise and take fantastic care of that little one!!!

If you MUST cut it that closely (not advisable), bring a note from the doctor stating your due date AND that you and baby are healthy to travel.

Due date should ABSOLUTELY be included in order to confirm you are within policy.

If you change from 26 to 27 weeks DURING the cruise, it might be an issue, even if it's only a matter of a few days. The policy says "at the time of the voyage". The "voyage" is the entire time you are on board, not just embarkation day.

Please be advised that guests who are 27 weeks or more into their pregnancy at the time of the voyage will not be permitted to sail because of the risk of premature labor.

from

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_minor_pregnancy_policy.aspx

Here are a bunch of threads with Pregnancy in the search term

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=5582375

Please be advised that guests who are 27 weeks or more into their pregnancy at the time of the voyage will not be permitted to sail because of the risk of premature labor.

from

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/EMB_minor_pregnancy_policy.aspx

Here are a bunch of threads with Pregnancy in the search term

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=5582375

Thanks for the pregancy link...my searches weren't coming up with much!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am in the same boat as you. We'll be sailing 9/2 and I will be in my 26th week of pregnancy. We tossed around the idea of changing the dates and/or getting the insurance. I'm not sure if you've been pregnant before and if so, were they uneventful pregnancies?

I posted about this last week and lots of people had the suggestion of take LOTS of water bottles.

Where are you going on cruise? Have fun!

As the father of a one year old who was born 12 weeks premature (28 weeks- 2 pounds 4 ounces) I would advice that you reschedule. Premature births are more common than people think (not likely but not uncommon). In my son's time in the NICU there were a number of babies born between 24-27 weeks that are okay because of the medical attention they got. I love cruising, but nothing would be worth risking my son's or my wife's life. If we had been on a cruise I could have lost both of them.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am in the same boat as you. We'll be sailing 9/2 and I will be in my 26th week of pregnancy. We tossed around the idea of changing the dates and/or getting the insurance. I'm not sure if you've been pregnant before and if so, were they uneventful pregnancies?

I posted about this last week and lots of people had the suggestion of take LOTS of water bottles.

Where are you going on cruise? Have fun!

Thank you very much! This is actually our first...so I have no idea what to expect. I do have motion sickness on ships, but I have not had morning sickness...lol... But I do have a prescription from my Dr. for the motion sickness just in case :)

I have looked at everything so far and we can get the same cruise, same flight...my DH will have to check on hotel, but I think I will lean towards moving up a few weeks. At most the change in airfare is $120 and then any fees assoc. with changing our cruise. DH is out of town right now, so I told him we need to sit down this weekend and talk thru everything and figure out what is going to be best. I do have appt with OB tomorrow, so I will also talk with her and see what she thinks.

I did read about taking lots of water, so we will definately do that! Is this your first?

I have two children right now and this will be baby #3!

I see that you're from NC. What part?

That's awesome if it will only change your fare by about $120. Which cruise are you thinking about moving up to? I just emailed my husband and asked him his thoughts on moving it up, too. I see my OB tomorrow....so I'll check with her on this, too.

As the father of a one year old who was born 12 weeks premature .

I am sorry to hear your son was premature...do you mind me asking, did your wife have any complications during her pregnancy or was everything fine until she gave birth? I do realize that anything can happen at anytime whether you have complications or not...I was just curious. We certainly do not want to risk anything if we should develop any complications in the next few months, nor do we want to risk anything without complications. But we still want to have a nice time before we have our baby :) Thanks for your input :)

My brother and his wife just welcomed a new baby girl into their family last Thursday...unexpectedly, at 28 weeks. She weighs 4 lbs. 2 oz. today.

Their other daughter is 6 years old, and was a normal duration birth.

Move up the cruise if at all possible!!

I am sorry to hear your son was premature...do you mind me asking' date=' did your wife have any complications during her pregnancy or was everything fine until she gave birth? I do realize that anything can happen at anytime whether you have complications or not...I was just curious. We certainly do not want to risk anything if we should develop any complications in the next few months, nor do we want to risk anything without complications. But we still want to have a nice time before we have our baby :) Thanks for your input :)[/quote']

I don't mind you asking at all. The pregnancy was going along just fine and she developed preeclampsia and 48 hours later they decided it was best for both mom and baby to deliver. Fortunatly our doctors had moved us the day before to one of the best childrens hospitals in the country. Mom and Baby were very well taken care of and he is doing wonderful now.

Wow #3!! I am still trying to get acclimated to #1!! lol. We currently live in Charlotte. I have been here for 4 years (orignally from IN/MI area). I am hoping we can move back soon to be near my family since DH travels so much!

We would be able to move up (2 weeks) to the Eastern Caribbean on 8/25 and so far the flights corresponds...just need to find out about hotel. We are going to possibly get travel Ins. thru our AAA, I just have to make sure they will cover my pregnancy since we got PG after we scheduled trip...DOH!

We went to Western last year- GORGEOUS weather!!!! thought we would have gotten PG then, but no such luck :( So now we will have to see what we can make of all this!

I don't mind you asking at all. The pregnancy was going along just fine and she developed preeclampsia and 48 hours later they decided it was best for both mom and baby to deliver. Fortunatly our doctors had moved us the day before to one of the best childrens hospitals in the country. Mom and Baby were very well taken care of and he is doing wonderful now.

Congratulations to you both. I am sure it was very scary to go thru that, especially 12 weeks early. I am glad your baby is doing well and I so appreciate your input. I know everyone is going to have different pregnancies and we will just have to go with our gut instinct and Dr's advice. Thanks again!

YIKES! Such stressing tales!

I always feel awful for difficulties. DBF's son had a little girl born premature with undeveloped lungs. She lived 9 months at the hospital and only one night at home in her own bed before dying. It was heart-breakingly tragic. The casket was excrutiatingly small. Please, don't let a cruise keep you from adequate care when it counts most.

Please move it up at least a few weeks! You and baby will be safe, and I am BETTING that you will also be a tad more comfy with a little bit of a smaller tummy.

I am not a fan of what the doctor "projects"... ANYTHING can happen at ANYTIME. Post 26 weeks seems reckless, IMHO.

To OP, I would definitely move up the cruise. It's just too risky at 26 weeks. First of all, at 26 weeks you're awfully close to your third trimester. Some airlines won't even allow you to fly during your third trimester.

Also, since this is your first, if you have yet to experience the wonderful (NOT!) sensation of Braxton Hicks contractions, which are those sporadic false labor contractions, just be aware that in some women they happen more frequently as your pregnancy progresses. Most of the times these are non-events, but what happens if you panic, or what happens if there is something wrong?

You're going to be stuck on a ship with inadequate medical care facilities.

Vacation is not a time to be freaking out about a pregnancy. It will be no fun for you if you are constantly worried about the baby. I'd say to move your trip.

Curious.....if you would say to move it up because of being so close to the cutoff that Carnival allows....what would you suggest that the cutoff be to consider?

I am going to be 25 weeks (entering the 26th) while on cruise.......so I sort of feel that I'm in the same boat. With my previous pregnancies, I have never had issues (yes, each is different.......). I am going to ask my doctor though. My doctor is VERY strict - so I am curious to see what her answer is.

Or are you suggesting that she move it up because it's her first pregnancy?

Thanks!

To the OP...if you're on here asking these questions, seems to me that you already have doubts as to whether or not you should go.

A child is a precious gift. One that should be protected and cared for. I would NEVER risk the health of my child for a vacation! NEVER!!!!!

Yeah, I'm saying that because it's her first pregnancy, and she doesn't know what to expect. If you've been pregnant before and the previous ones had no complications/issues, I'd say that as long as your doctor says it is OK, then you should be fine. But for OP since this is her first, it can be easy to mistake some kind of incidental pain as "that's just pregnancy" when it really is serious. Or something that she thinks is serious and ends up causing her to worry for a week when it really is no big deal.

Archived