Pregnancy & Cruising

I agree with others and say try to postpone until after the baby. I know that seems like a far away time, but I drove 6 hours to FL when I was 26 weeks and I was a nervous wreck the whole time. I went to visit DH for the weekend who was working in FL at the time. My son was actually born at 36 weeks, so 4 weeks before we expected him. 4 weeks early was very scary for us and I can't imagine 12 weeks. I had a great pregnancy until the end when I developed gestational diabetes. The doctors were doing weekly ultrasounds to make sure my son wasn't getting too big and they said I would probably go over my due date, but they planned to induce on my due date unless he got too big and they induced before then. Even with all the ultrasounds and a stress test that was fine 3 days before, my water broke in the middle of the night and my son was born by c-section because he was breach.

I know for my next pregnancy I don't plan on going far from the hospital or home during the last trimester.

Good Luck!

As an OB nurse, I have witnessed many situations that were not planned for....so my opinion would be that you change the date to travel either a number of weeks BEFORE you had planned or maybe a few months AFTER you have the baby (as long as you have a loving grandma or two to care for your newborn). You have a few things to be concerned about...one of them is the risk of preterm labor while you are at sea....two is possible rupture of membranes due to the increased pressure while flying...three is if you were to deliver early, the ship does not have adequate facilities to care for a newborn having respiratory difficulties.

If you insist on traveling as you originally planned, take a copy of your prenatal record from your physician with you should you so need it.

I know it sounds like we are scaring you to death, but that is not the case. You have to be prepared for every possible scenario when you leave the comfort of your own physician/hospital/surroundings.

I wish for you a happy and healthy delivery!! :)

To the OP...if you're on here asking these questions' date=' seems to me that you already have doubts as to whether or not you should go.

A child is a precious gift. One that should be protected and cared for. I would NEVER risk the health of my child for a vacation! NEVER!!!!![/quote']

Liz-

I don't have doubts on whether or not to go, I have doubts on timing. My purpose for coming on here was to hear what other people have experienced and to make a decision based on the information we find as well as what we gather from our doc and as well as what well feel in our gut. I would NEVER risk my childs health for a vacation either. But there is more of a risk every day driving to and from work (and I am not just saying that to say it, I live it - traffic is AWFUL here). The only difference is by what everyone says is the level of doctor and nurse's knowledge of delivering a baby or dealing with complications. Obviously if something happens and I get in an accident here, I have the best dr's available. On a cruise, I won't. However for every situation about premature birth that people have had, there is a situation where a woman has cruised at the same time that I will be and had a wonderful time. Not one of the situations mentioned on here of premature birth happened on a cruise ship.

I DO, very much, appreciate everyone's insight and knowledge with the situations that you have dealt with. I don't wish premature birth on anyone or losing a baby. If we feel that our baby will be endangered by taking our cruise we will make that choice to cancel. At this time we have opted to move it up to avoid being so close to the cut off. I will be within Carnival's cruise limits, which I think they would set those limits researching experiences in the past as well as what is recommended. I would not cruise PAST the date they have set. And again, if we feel that our baby will be endangered we will cancel.

If you insist on traveling as you originally planned, take a copy of your prenatal record from your physician with you should you so need it.

I know it sounds like we are scaring you to death, but that is not the case. You have to be prepared for every possible scenario when you leave the comfort of your own physician/hospital/surroundings.

I wish for you a happy and healthy delivery!! :)

Baby Nurse,

Thanks for the information...we are already planning to make sure we have copies of my records (just in case) as well as a letter from the dr. As for the scaring to death...I totally understand, but that is why I posted is to hear other experiences and gather information to make the best informed decision that we can make for all of us. Some people are just not going to agree with us going at all, some will agree with us going sooner...and some will agree that, if everything is going well, to just go and enjoy ourselves. We don't want to go unprepared and that is why I posted. There are more seasoned cruisers AND parents out there that have dealt with situations that we haven't yet and it certainly helps to hear everyone's experience or insight. Thanks so much for the wishes on a happy healthy delivery too, much appreciated!!

We cruised last fall with dd, who was around 25 weeks pregnant, and sil. She was right at the cut off date.

At the time, she only wanted to sleep. We had a wonderful cruise, and she got her much needed rest, napping during the day and sleeping all night. When we took road trips (we did a Canada/New England cruise, and just rented cars at ports), she would sleep in the back seat.

It sounds like she slept through the cruise, but she didn't. She and her dh got to spend some awesome time together. They got to go on a trip they probably won't do again for some years. The magazines call these trips "babymoons".

She only had one incident when dinner was served, when she nearly lost it. Something about the smell of her entree didn't sit well with her or the baby. Other than that, she enjoyed her meals.

Would she do it again? Yes. And we had this discussion big time before we booked the cruise. Should we or shouldn't we??? What if???

You cannot answer those questions. Talk to your doctor. You know how you feel and your limitations. You and your spouse and doctor should make the decision.

We read lots of scarey stories here on the boards while trying to make our decision. I printed them off and we went over them. There were good stories, too. Ultimately, the decision is yours. A factor in my dd's decision was where we cruised. We were either in the states or Canada, where decent medical care was available.

As far as the cruise line (Celebrity) knowing about the pregnancy, it didn't seem to matter. She told them when she booked the cruise, and it was never mentioned again. They never asked for paperwork from her doctor. It may be different on Carnival.

Like I said, it was a wonderful cruise, and she is so glad they took it. However, if you decide not to, you can cruise again at some other time.

Btw, we are having a blast with our new grandson, who is 6 weeks old. Being a grandparent is WONDERFUL!

Shay

whether it is your first or fifth pregnancy. I had an uneventful first pregnancy, delivery at 39 weeks, 7 lbs 8 ounces. my second at 27 weeks had my "big" u/s (husband missed due to work conflict thinking it was not as big of a big deal since it was #2 and dr was videotaping for us also). Ended up being sent straight to hospital due to low fluid. Had amnio to inject dye to see if I was leaking fluid after regular tests did not show leaking of fluid. No fluid was leaking, u/s could show no reason for low fluid, but bedrest and u/s twice a week began (along wtih NST, biophysical profiles, and dr visits), then preeclamsia at 36-1/2 weeks with induction 12 hours later. Third pregnnancy was okay other than pregnancy induced hypertension beginning at 36 weeks, induction at 38-1/2 weeks for such, and baby who had stopped growing at 36 weeks b/c of BP.

I say this not to scare anyone, but to say how do you decide what is the "safe" cutoff or to say a first pregnancy cutoff should be earlier than subsequent. each pregnancy is different. things can go wrong in healthy pregnancies at a drop of a hat unfortunately.

Confer with your doctor and make the decision that you are comfortable with. If you go at your scheduled time or decide to go earlier, enjoy!

But there is more of a risk every day driving to and from work (and I am not just saying that to say it, I live it - traffic is AWFUL here). The only difference is by what everyone says is the level of doctor and nurse's knowledge of delivering a baby or dealing with complications. Obviously if something happens and I get in an accident here, I have the best dr's available. On a cruise, I won't. However for every situation about premature birth that people have had, there is a situation where a woman has cruised at the same time that I will be and had a wonderful time. Not one of the situations mentioned on here of premature birth happened on a cruise ship.
I agree that there is a lot of risk in just being pregnant anywhere, but yes, medical care would be readily available on land. Ultimately as you say, you have to decide what you feel is best.

I'm sure that the great majority of pregnant travellers or cruisers travel without incident and had a great time, but there's a small percentage that end up with difficulties, and it's just a matter of how much risk you are willing to accept that you might fall into that small percentage.

When my wife was 6 months pregnant she was so uncomfortable. Also consider that pregnant women tend to get dizzy and have a worse sense of balance. On a cruise ship, particularly one at rough seas, even non-pregnant people have trouble with balance. If you end up going at 26 weeks, just be careful.

Good luck and congrats on the baby!

First of all, let me say, Congrats! I am currently pregnant with my third baby, and we are set to cruise in 11 days! I will be 17 wks when we board, which to me, is perfect. I'm not AS sick anymore (my morning sickness tends to linger longer than most, usually til 25 wks or so...blah), my energy level is starting to increase, and I'm not huge yet, just a little baby bump.

Here's my thoughts on the situation (feel free to take them or leave them):

I would consider moving your cruise up a few weeks. Personally, I felt comfortable only cruising between weeks 14 and 20 (I've had 2 miscarriages in the past and did not want to cruise in my first trimester, but at the same time, did not want to be anywhere REMOTELY close to Carnival's cutoff date). So far, this pregnancy is going wonderfully and baby appears to be perfectly healthy. In my successful pregnancies, I have never experienced any complications what so ever. My husband and I made this decision together, and my OB agreed that going at this point in time would be considered safe, which is what you and yours need to do.

If you decide to go at any point during your pregnancy, make sure you drink LOTS of water. A pp mentioned braxton hicks contractions, which are common, especially in the third trimester, but you can also experience contractions if you become dehydrated.

Also, make sure you are not pushing yourself too hard. Rest and take it easy, putting your feet up as much as possible. The last thing you need on a cruise is for your ankles to swell up like balloons and you not enjoy yourself.

Personally, I see no problem cruising while pregnant, as long as you play it smart. Personally, I'm looking forward to the 24 hour pizza and ice cream, as well as having room service available first thing in the morning.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and if you decide to go, have a great time! Good luck with your pregnancy, and here's wishing you a happy, healthy delivery!

I took my daughter when she was right at the cut off mark and she didn't have any problems. We cleared it with her doctor of course and we had a note with us. Carnival never asked for it, but we had it just in case. We had a blast! If you aren't having any problems and your doctor says it's okay, enjoy!

I have to agree with the OB nurse who posted earlier. I work in high risk OB also, and I feel that every baby born healthy is a miracle. There is not a neonatal intensive care unit on the ship, which you would need if you went into premature labor. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to take the chance, and you would probably be fine, but I would not risk it after what I have seen. Emergencies can happen with no notice. 24 weeks is about the earliest a baby can be born with a chance of survival. I would go before that mark, so if anything should happen (God forbid) you will get the best care possible.

First of all Congrats, second, I would definately reschedule. You will be in the worst part of the Hurricane season and with the pressure changing, you could go into labor early. If it were me, I would not want to take that chance being that close to your due date. Too many things can happen even though you don't expect them to. I would go back to about June or July and then you definately would be safe. They have wonderful doctors on board and the state of the art equipment but if something would happen, it would not be the place to be. Good luck!

Another labor and delivery nurse's opinion here......

I've posted before about this topic and see most of the same concerns come up over and over again on CC.

The highlights of most of the pregnancy related threads are concerning the 27 weeks rule, staying well hydrated (dehydration can lead to preterm labor), getting plenty of rest, being careful about balance changes (so as not to take a fall), and not visiting countries that have specific restrictions for pregnant women (requiring immunizations or exposure to viral/bacterial threats).

Most of the OP's make up their minds based on their individual doctor's opinions and not those of CC posters! Thankfully most of the people who have posted concerns pre-cruise that have posted post cruise, have reported having a wonderful trip using the suggestions from all the posts here!

As was previously posted, should you decide to cruise bring along your complete record and have trip insurance. Check to be sure that pregnancy is not a pre-exisiting condition with your policy. Be sure that if something does happen you can live with the choice you made to go on vacation at this time!

The only thing I want to add is a medical fact.

The 27 week rule of pregnancy to cruise was most likely instituted by the cruiseline when viability of a fetus was at 27 weeks! That meant that prior to 27 weeks, delivery was generally considered a "miscarriage" with no chance of survival. Medical staff did not intervene to try and "save" the baby if it were to be born before that mark. Therefore if you were cruising before that time and you delivered prematurely, there was no chance of survival and no obligation on the part of the medical staff to intervene.

NOW the point of viability in pregnancy is considered to be 23 weeks. We do not take extreme measures with babies born prior to 23 weeks. Cruising before 23 weeks then would/should be the cutoff is based on viability. When born at 23 weeks, some babies have a chance of survival with excellent medical intervention. You most likely would not receive the type of medical care required on a cruiseship.

I would think that the cruiseline should revisit their choice of dates for cutoffs.

Best wishes with your pregnancy.

We scheduled our cruise for 9/8/07 Carnival Triumph to Eastern Caribbean..we are now pregnant and will JUST be at Carnival's cut off time of 27 weeks. Has anyone traveled at 25/26/27 weeks and had any issues boarding cruise? I would like to know if there is anything specific that I need to bring with me from the Dr. stating that we are safe to fly/cruise.

If you had any issues what were they? We are purchasing trip insurance for me just in case' date=' but also in case we have to cancel or reschedule. My fear is that we will get there and not let us go. Our Carnival rep said as long as I was 26 weeks when we board, if I turn 27 weeks while cruising, we are ok to go....Any information will be very appreciated.[/quote']

My DD was 26/27 week and had no issues boarding. It wasn't even mentioned.

She also followed the advise stated by Zudeeper4. Said she felt and sleeped the best. Talk it over with your doctor. The cut off is for a reason. You can bet if they felt medicaly it should be 22 or 24 than that is what it would be.

Archived