Barcelona Meals

My wife and I will be arriving July 22 for two nights prior to sailing out. Staying at the Grand Marina and wondering what the top '5' suggestions for restaraunts would be in the vicinity of our hotel. This will be our first time in Barcelona and would like to find some nice places for breakfast and dinner (paella, seafood, etc.). Would love to hear comments on both food and atmosphere in the area close to where we will be staying.

Thanks!

The Grand Marina is indeed on a marina, and I have not been there so I can't answer your question specifically. But since you will be there two nights I assume you will see a bit of the city. There is a lot to see and do in BCN!

Maribel's guide is extremely helpful, www.maribelsguides.com

Free and written to help all of us enjoy Spain. Her recommendations are always excellent.

Here are two of my favorite places:

You will surely stroll the Ramblas, the touristy shopping and entertainment street (beware of pickpockets here). Midmorning breakfast cannot be beat at Pinotxos which is inside the Mercat San Josep (La Boqueria). There will be a wait but it is worth it, and you can see what everyone is eating--get whatever they are having. Omelette with tiny fish, baby squid with white beans, lamb stew, a glass of cava (yes, for breakfast, this is Spain!).

Another famous and fabulous place is Cal Pep, near the Picasso Museum , Placa de les olles (walk south on Carrer Montcada), in the old city. Sit at the bar and have an amazing seafood lunch or tapas dinner...tiny fried sardines, crayfish (escamarlans, also called norway lobster), clams with diced ham, be sure to get some solomillo (sizzling sliced filet mignon)...best is just ask the waiter to serve you whatever is best and you will be thrilled. This place is also famous and popular but if you arrive early (1pm for lunch or 8pm for dinner) it shouldn't be too bad.

Archived