Mystic Snorkeling Tours

Chris and Em

We are on the same cruise aboard the Fascination in 2 weeks. I confirmed with Carnival that the 1 pm arrival time in Cozumel is eastern time... so you will actually arrive at noon local time. I booked the Mystic snorkel tour with Rosie for 1:30 pm. She goes to the southern reefs which, from what I have read are better. I had contacted Eagle Ray about their 3 reef tour which also goes to the southern reefs but Chellie told me that there wasn't enough time for the 3 reef tour... and that we could do only her 2 reef tour which goes only to a couple of near shore reefs. So, aside from a lot of good things I have heard about the Mystic tour, that is another reason I chose Rosie over Eagle Ray.

Thanks Ray.

I think that's the way we are going to go as well just because of the time we get into port. Enjoy your trip and if you can... let me know how your snorkel trip was with Mystic. I'm taking both my 15 and 18 year olds with me in August and neither of them have ever snorkeled in carribean waters. I'm soooooo excited to share this experiene with them. Have a great, great cruise!!:D

• 3 weeks later...
We are on the same cruise aboard the Fascination in 2 weeks. I confirmed with Carnival that the 1 pm arrival time in Cozumel is eastern time... so you will actually arrive at noon local time. I booked the Mystic snorkel tour with Rosie for 1:30 pm. She goes to the southern reefs which, from what I have read are better. I had contacted Eagle Ray about their 3 reef tour which also goes to the southern reefs but Chellie told me that there wasn't enough time for the 3 reef tour... and that we could do only her 2 reef tour which goes only to a couple of near shore reefs. So, aside from a lot of good things I have heard about the Mystic tour, that is another reason I chose Rosie over Eagle Ray.

Hi XSURFER, wondering how your snorkeling trip went with Rosie?

Chris and Em, we had a great time snorkeling. The weather didn't cooperate though... it was overcast the entire time and rainy for part of it... and it was a little windy. But depsite that the snorkeling was still pretty good. My 2 kids said it was the highlight of the cruise. Rosie will take good care of you. She and a dive master will be in the water with you while the boat captain follows in the boat. Rosie took us to Colombia Shallows and Palancar. Saw lots of sea life including baracudas, stingrays, puffer fish, plenty of angel fish, etc. We were hoping to see a sea turtle or a eagle ray but no such luck this time. Anyway, I am sure you will have a great time snorkeling with Rosie!! By the way, you should be docking at the Punta Langosta pier around 11:30 or so Cozumel time. Its about a 10 minute taxi ride to the Marina Caleta... I paid $8 plus a $2 tip. Post back and let me know how your trip went.

Thanks XSURFER!!

Thanks for taking the time to post back. I've heard so many good things about both Rosie and Eagle Ray but I think you just sealed the deal for us with Rosie. I've been going back and forth trying to decide and the only difference that I have come up with is that Rosie is a bit more flexible with her departure time than Eagle Ray was; in the event the ship docks later than scheduled. I'm glad your children enjoyed the snorkel trip. I'll post to you when we get back.

Thank you again..

Chris

If you'll do a search for my posts...you will see 2 years worths of reviews of my 2 snorkel excursions with Rosi's Mystic Snorkel. They are so glowing I know most folks think I am on the payroll! The short version: my first trip with Rosi was with my family, DH, DD and DS. DD was 21 and DS was 18....and, of course immortal. Neither had much snorkel experience. Even though they were hardly "kids"...I was a little worried and told Rosi that I was. Well, I was so amazed and enjoying the experience that I really had a hard time focussing on the kiddies but every now and then, all I had to do was look at Rosi and she would point at each "child". She knew exactly where they were at all times. Quite a comfort to me! We all agreed that it was the highlight of our vacation.

Donna

Oh, and we had a little trouble tendering...we were about 45 minutes late in meeting Rosi. No worries! She had already been to the port to check on how tendering was going and was waiting for us! So, yes...she is very flexible with time!

Thanks Magic City Cruiser,

The snorkeling trip should be great either way we go. It is nice to know that two competing snorkel outfits get high ratings. There is something to say for both outfits, (Rosie and Chellie) here on these boards. They equally get rave reviews. I'll be checking your reviews out next.

Thanks again,

C~

It sounds as if all of the good snorkeling is at the reefs but some in our party are poor swimmers. Do they give you life vests and equipment? Do you think poor swimmers could do this? They want to snorkel badly.

Thank you for your input.:)

shh, both Rosie and Chellie will provide masks, fins and snorkels for those that don't bring their own equipment. Rosie provides inflatable vests for anyone wishing to use one. I would assume that Chellie will do the same. Any reputable operator probably does.

• 1 month later...

This post is for SHH. I have heard nothing but rave reviews for Mystic and Rosie, however, this is open water deep ocean. I do not see how a non-swimmer would possibly be comfortable in open water. It can be rough with high waves and a strong current. Considering the costs of Mystic's tour, which I understand to be $264 for up to 4 people, I think a shore snorkle from Dzul Ha or Chankanaab would be better.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that you have to determine the difference between a "poor" swimmer and a "non" swimmer. I can't do the breast stroke and probably couldn't make it across the pool and back but a time or two without a rest but I can stay afloat and get around pretty well. Rosi also sends a good questionairre to determine what your experience is, how comfortable you are in the water and how good of a swimmer you are. So, even if you're not a "good" swimmer, I think with the inflatable vest or even a life vest, you could see enough to snorkel and have a wonderful experience. Again, I'm a "stay on the top and look down" snorkeler and had a great time! I'd talk to Rosi...she won't rx the trip if she doesn't think you're up for it.

• 4 weeks later...
Chris and Em, we had a great time snorkeling. The weather didn't cooperate though... it was overcast the entire time and rainy for part of it... and it was a little windy. But depsite that the snorkeling was still pretty good. My 2 kids said it was the highlight of the cruise. Rosie will take good care of you. She and a dive master will be in the water with you while the boat captain follows in the boat. Rosie took us to Colombia Shallows and Palancar. Saw lots of sea life including baracudas, stingrays, puffer fish, plenty of angel fish, etc. We were hoping to see a sea turtle or a eagle ray but no such luck this time. Anyway, I am sure you will have a great time snorkeling with Rosie!! By the way, you should be docking at the Punta Langosta pier around 11:30 or so Cozumel time. Its about a 10 minute taxi ride to the Marina Caleta... I paid $8 plus a $2 tip. Post back and let me know how your trip went.

Just wanted to touch base: we never made it to cozumel due to hurricane Dean:( We ended up in Nassau at the Atlantis which was very nice:) So I guess one day we'll have to get to Cozumel to snorkel those reefs....Take care..

Chris

Archived