Bacardi--Nassau

danga

Has anyone done the tour of the Bacardi distillery in Nassau? How was it? How did you get there? If you went by cab, how much was it. Any information regarding this tour would be helpful as HAL doesn't offer it on the Zuiderdam stop and I would really like to go!

I have been to Nassau NP about 50 times - 40 visits for business, the balance on cruises. There is a BIG misconception regarding this Island and its' offerings, but first I will address the question.

While I have not toured the Bacardi facility, I have been there. It almost a secret and driving up to the gated entrance will remind you of a good Bond movie...

I have circumnavigated the entire island on several occassions - both by car and scooter (what fun!) - Sadly, many passengers have neither done, nor attempted. Let me tell you, this is one beautiful island - venturing past the likes of John Bull, Pirates Cove, the flea market and infamous Paradise Island where Atlantis stands (for first timers, this is a "must-see"...), there lies a country most tourists never experience. If you get off in Nassau and stay close to home (the pier), try going to the Athena - a great Greek restaurant and bar in the center of town (next to Hard Rock) - the owner is a blast and will charm you to death. Then, venture down to the end of Shirley Street and visit the Colonial Hilton - this property is gorgious - has a great pool and is home of that pretty little beach we all see when we pull into port...

I have been to just about every island in the Caribbean...while Nassau (The Bahamas) is NOT technically in the Caribbean (it's really in the Southern North Atlantic) there are secluded beaches, Australian Pines, great estates, winding roads, hills, and history. Half way around the island close to Bacardi is a monument to the slaves which were brought to the island. The moring, landing, caves and even the jails where they were held are available to see if you ask...the island is dotted with tiny costal communities with quaint churches, farms, homes and people. Many of the people in these small communities don't know of the tourist trap and ravenous merchants that reside just miles away. They live in harmony with their chickens, goats and families. There is life in Nassau and well within reach yet far beyond the turmoil of what most only experience as a mall of diamonds, shirts, watches and booze...the bargains are good...so if you shop - shop...and remember if you read this, have been to Nassau and don't get off or don't like the Bahamas, that there is a wonderful life outside of downtown.

If I'm not mistaken, the Bacardi distilliery most people tour on a cruise vacation is in San Juan, PR. It's one of the major tourist destinations there along with the Old Fort, but I've never heard of one in Nassau.

Archived