Alcohol

Lucky you, you seem to be wealthy enough to choose. Trevor.

You have me completely wrong...... hard working yes ....wealthy i wish.....

Last cruise on Star for 7 nights cost $640.00 per person ...onboard spending for the two of us was $300.00 which included tips..... Rhapsody is costing per person including air $2750.00 including onboard tips for

17days and the Sun Princess at Xmas for 9 nights is costing $1400 per person including onboard spending of $200.00 each. I buy early and then save like a mad women to pay for it or we buy very late when offers come through.......we have a daily budget onboard and manage to stay within it and still have that extra beer or wine .... I expect to pay more i am at an exclusive resort on the sea.... what a buzz

On the mainland whether we are here in Australia or oversea's working we rarely eat out at restaurants or have takeaway food, haven't smoked for 10 years, drive an old car etc etc etc........ it's missing out on all of the above and how we manage our finances and lifestyle that affords us extra treats.....so i don't see the need for your :rolleyes: comment...

We couldn't afford cruises when our kids were growing up, did have great family holidays though ...trips of a lifetime came as the reward when they all left home and we had money left in our pockets..:D

Gonna stand on the orange box now:

MY MOAN OF THE DAY IS

Forget about cruiseship prices what really @@## me off is the price of alcohol, lemonade, chocolate and crisps in the mini bars in mainland hotels.... and i am not just talking about expensive hotels....

now that is ripping the public off.

shiona:cool:

I save my pennies too. I'm just plain lucky to be able to cruise overseas as well. It's all about getting some fantastic deals. I know as a family it is impossible to go every year or two, but since I'm only 23, I'm doing it now while I still can!!:)

Spending money is totally up to each individual. Most people probably tend to splurge a bit. In the end you going to have to pay it all back. I spend around $500 in a week, taking in tips, coffees, ice creams, shore tours and soda's plus a few photos.

FYI... Celebrity allows you to take on two bottles of wine, and have adjusted their drinking age for Australia/NZ to 18. The parents however need to be on the cruise with them and sign a permission slip. Then the 'child' then signs the form agreeing to the Terms and Conditions. (Just remembered, don't think there is anyone here sailing on Mercury!!:o )

Trying hard Jarrod! :D

BTW, my understanding Celebrity also charge $25 per bottle corkage. Although they supply a corkscrew in your cabin.

That's true, but only in the Restaurants and bars. You can store them in the fridge and drink them when you like, but once they run out....that's it.:eek:

Also if you don't want to get tempted by the minibar, ask for it to be emptied. We did that last time, and stored fruit and water in it.

(Just remembered, don't think there is anyone here sailing on Mercury!!:o )

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but the mention of Celebrity reminded me....

A guy at my work is going on a Celebrity cruise in Europe in September, and is a regular Celebrity cruiser. He was telling me that the reason he and is partner choose Celebrity is that they have a full vegetarian menu - with choices for each course etc, instead of just a vegetarian option on the normal menu.

P&O have a full vegetarian menu don't they? Sandra has had the vegetarian menu a couple of times because of medication restrictions and it was a separate menu with a few choices.

Can't say as I've noticed it, unless it's only handed out on request.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts about the alcohol issue that some people have. The one thing I have wondered is how serious this can get when it is only for a week or two length of time. I had a bit of a giggle at how people are thinking of ways to bring it onboard etc., (some weird ideas there), good for a laugh. But it is only for a few days that we may pay extra for our drinks and nibblies but come on, it's not for our normal day to day life. How desperate are we for a drink??

Hi Trevor,we had a 40th birthday on board N714 and when we ordered the cake and champagne from P&O we were sent a list of prices(Really cheap for what you get) and on that list it stated "2 bottles of wine or 1 bottle of champagne" are allowed to be brought aboard but will be subject to corckage. Perhaps this is only told to passenger celebrating a special occasion:confused: and only available to those people in that party drinking it at dinner:confused:.

we didnt bother with the byo champagne as we are not conesure,s (sp?)

But on the day of the birthday my sister tried to buy a bottle of Moet but it was not available.perhaps that is why you are informed about the wine and champers when ordering the cake,after all people celebrate in different ways and have different budgets.

So my mistake in thinking the byo wine and champagne was available to all of age passengers boarding:o.

Den.

Can't say as I've noticed it, unless it's only handed out on request.

Hi Kym,

Yes there is a complete Vegetarian menu. My Mum (Suey) gets it while we cruise. All you need to do is let your waiter know. They are also able to help with other dietary issues for eg caeliac (sp?), lactose intollerant.. Just speak with your waiter, the head waiter or the Matre'D.

Cheers,

Charmain:)

Hi cruisers....got off the Sun in Sydney today....and lots of people were found with Alcohol in their luggage.....all had special stickers on them near the pursers desk, and were given a phone call to go to the pursers desk, open their bags or suitcases and remove the offending drinks, hand them over until the end of the cruise...

so they ARE cracking down on the cheaters....

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

ooops lets put paid to this and find out what it will take to change the PO policy about no alcohol allowed onboard.... can't hurt and even i agree that a couple of bottles of wine wouldn't harm either passenger or profit cheers shiona

Archived