Traditional not New Wave Cruising

Old Sea Dog

Traditional Cruising has been adjusted to meet the demands of the American Cruising Public.However,as one who has cruised some 35 times over 47 years ,old habits and traditions die hard,so lets keep,Set Dining,Formal Wear,Smart Dress,Afternoon Tea,and the Mid-Day Message from the Officer of the Watch on the Bridge.The right to Tip as one feels appropriate,not imposed as now.I know things move on,but the concept of a Traditional Cruise is very important to the future of the Cruise Industry as a whole.

First, Andes,Royal Mail Lines.

Latest,Caribbean Princess. B/B Sept11-25.;)

Traditional Cruising has been adjusted to meet the demands of the American Cruising Public.However,as one who has cruised some 35 times over 47 years ,old habits and traditions die hard,so lets keep,Set Dining,Formal Wear,Smart Dress,Afternoon Tea,and the Mid-Day Message from the Officer of the Watch on the Bridge.The right to Tip as one feels appropriate,not imposed as now.I know things move on,but the concept of a Traditional Cruise is very important to the future of the Cruise Industry as a whole.

First, Andes,Royal Mail Lines.

Latest,Caribbean Princess. B/B Sept11-25.;)

I think you DO have it and will have it

I agree with you Old Sea Dog, the Traditional sailing days have changed, and not always for the better... Unfortuneatly, so have a lot of the passengers...

This is a topic that really interests me.

I wonder if you two could tell us what it WAS like in the old days of cruising. I have no clue. What's different now?

A few things come to mind from cruises of past years. 50 cent cocktails, bingo games where nearly the entire cost of the cards went into the jackpot, trapshooting on the aft deck, low passenger to crew ratios, table cooked and flamed dinners, dinner deck parties, few young folks, polite passengers, black soot from the stacks.

John

Given the multitude of Cruiselines and Ships, I would think everyone could find a cruise to their taste (personally, I haven't seen one NOT to my taste).

Although I haven't done a lot of research into the subject, different cruise lines tend to cater to different groups, maybe it's just a matter of finding the ship to suit your needs. Would be boring if there were only one cruise line catering to one specific set of tastes. ;)

Can we have all that, and still have pricing that makes it possible to cruise so often and so easily? Personally, I'd be content if the "It's my vacation and I'll do as I please!" crowd could come to some sort of understanding with those of us who see cruising as a tight-knit community where the on-board experience is a shared one. In other words, let's have a little more respect for others, and maybe we'll find that there really is room to have and do all the things we want without coming into confllict with others over silly little issues.

Archived