Alaska -NCL Pearl or Princess ~ Golden/Star?

bewitchedwitch

We are planning a cruise for next year May or June '08. I've done all my research, but I'm still incredibly confused and undecided

So, my choices are:

Norwegian Cruise Lines - Pearl

sailing from Seattle to:

(Alaska inside passage)

Juneau

Skagway

Glacier bay

Ketchikan

Victoria

OR:

Golden Princess or Star Princess

sailing from Seattle to:

Juneau

Skagway

Tracy Arm Fjord

Ketchikan

Victoria

We will be travelling with our two girls ~ age 23 months and 5 years old.

I have the prices for NCL -Pearl about $3000 for an OV cabin, but I still don't have the Princess prices.

Is there a big price difference between NCL and Princess?

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

TIA

I have sailed four times to Alaska. Twice on Princess and twice on NCL. Both were fun. Princess ships are more sophisticated and elegant, versus Norwegian which are more themed restaurants and bright decor.

Either way, you'll have a great time.

I'd go with the cheapest one. The kids will have a great time on either ship. In fact, I bet the kids would have more fun on NCL- mine loved it.

RebeccaLouise ~ thank you so much for your reply.

So, which cruise line do you think would be the cheapest? I've already quoted the price from NCL, but Princess might not release their prices until the end of this week:rolleyes:

So, now I'm stuck...I am totally itching to book a cruise right now, but don't want to make the wrong choice:confused:

Is that price for the whole family?

Where are you finding the Alaska cruises...? My TA says dates haven't been released yet and I was trying to find some online (granted I am in the UK so maybe Google throws back different answers but we would hope to be staying for a week in New England before heading for our Cruise) :D

Is that price for the whole family?

Where are you finding the Alaska cruises...? My TA says dates haven't been released yet and I was trying to find some online (granted I am in the UK so maybe Google throws back different answers but we would hope to be staying for a week in New England before heading for our Cruise) :D

Hi Littlestars,

the cruise amount I quoted ~ @ $3000 is from Norwegian cruise lines on the Pearl for the beginning of May next year '08. That is for an Ocean View room for 2 adults and 2 kids. From what I understand NCL charges less for kids under 2 years old.

Princess has not come out yet with their prices as of yet, but I'm going to call them in a few minutes to check on that, so I'll get back to you!

I think other cruise lines ~ Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean etc. have already released their new iteniaries.

I just went to the cruise lines' actual website. NCL is http://www.ncl.com

Hope that helps!!!

Honestly, I think you will be better off on the NCL Pearl. There are going to be younger families on board and the kids programs are more interesting on NCL.

I liked Princess because the ships themselves are prettier but overall the crew wasn't as friendly as on NCL and with little ones- I think you'd be better off on NCL.

Princess, especially in Alaska, attracts older, less- tolerant people.

As for staterooms- Norwegian tends to have smaller staterooms than Princess. If at all possible get a minisuite- you'll be happier.

Hi Littlestars,

the cruise amount I quoted ~ @ $3000 is from Norwegian cruise lines on the Pearl for the beginning of May next year '08. That is for an Ocean View room for 2 adults and 2 kids. From what I understand NCL charges less for kids under 2 years old.

Princess has not come out yet with their prices as of yet, but I'm going to call them in a few minutes to check on that, so I'll get back to you!

I think other cruise lines ~ Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean etc. have already released their new iteniaries.

I just went to the cruise lines' actual website. NCL is www.ncl.com

Hope that helps!!!

Thank you so much :D

I've sailed on both NCL and Princess with a three year old --- I agree 100% with Rebeccalouise -- I thought NCL was so much better for younger children. The kids program, facilities and staff were better, and overall it was much more kid-friendly, with crayons and plastic cups with lids and straws in the dining room -- when I asked for crayons on Princess all they had to offer was a pen, and kids got the same huge water glasses filled to the brim as adults did. I was amazed my daughter got through the cruise only spilling the water once.

LeeAnn

Archived