HAL Culinary Arts Center

jwc123

My mother-in-law is a true foodie and I would love to sign her up for a cooking demonstration with the guest chef on board. Has anyone ever attended one of these culinary events? Know if I can book this in advance?

I don't know for sure, but do not believe you can reserve before boarding. Based on recommendations I read on these boards, when we sailed on the Volendam, we boarded around noon, and as soon as we got on staff were directing everyone to the buffet.

I explained that I needed to go to the courtesy desk so I left my husband upstairs outside the buffet and zipped down the stairs and asked about signing up. Staff are trained to direct everyone to the buffet, so don't be surprised if a couple people gently try to turn you in that direction (they need to keep people from trying to go to their cabins early) but each time I just explained nicely that my husband was waiting for me at the buffet already, thank you, and I just needed to ask a quick question at the front desk.

At the front desk I asked about signing up for the cooking classes. They showed me the description of the two classes and I picked one, signed us both up and gave them my key card to pay. It only took a couple of minutes, and DH had a nice chat with the staff directing people to the buffet line.

I would definitely do it again -- hope your MIL enjoys!

We did not have a celebrity chef on board - the classes were taught by the Executive Chef of the Pinnacle Grill.

If you want an absolutely definitive answer (in case rules are different for celeb chefs) call HAL guest services directly. We loved everything about HAL except that, sometimes the trade off for not having constant announcements and offers is that it takes being a bit proactive to figure out how things work!

And loved it! I took both classes offered, and they were well worth it!. They were small (10-12 students) and everyone got to cook. The chef was very patient and funny, and the food was fabulous!

8943.jpg?phAs5SGBHXnKpwwz

• 2 weeks later...
I think it was either $25 or $35 about a year and a half ago.

I was there in October on the Oosterdam and it was $25 then. It's a nice thing to do on a sea day.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was n the Zeiderdam last Ocober for my first cruise. All was new to my wife and myself and we spent most of the time getting oriented on the ship and ended up having a wonderful time. I remember passing by the movie theatre and saw a sous chef setting up a culinary demonstration and made note to go back and have a look. We did pass by later and peeked in and saw only a few people standing around the table and the executive chef leading the demonstration, with the chef of the Pinnacle Grill as his sous chef. There was a lot of cooking experience at the demonstration. Again, because we were cruise rookies, we didn't realize this was a paid event. Perhaps we should have realized because of the few number of participants.

Both my wife and I are chefs, so anything to do with food automaticlly piques the interest. We stood off to the side and just watched. The others had ship aprons on and the chef was cooking Veal Rib Roast with a tomato concassé, a rissotto and other dishes I can't recall.

Everyone got a plate at the end of the demonstration and the meal looked outstanding. They offered us a portion but I didn't feel comfortable taking it, because they paid the fee and we just wandered in. I actaully used the idea of a veal rib roast for an elegant dinner party I catered last Christmas - it was a hit.

I will certainly register for the cooking demonstration on our next cruise in January. It is well worth the money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is Holland America the only line that does this? My wife and I afre cruising on the Crown Pricess soon and she would love to attend a cooking class or two!

They have an agreement with a cooking magazine. Food & Wine, I think. However, I've been to cooking demonstrations on Celebrity, so Princess may have something like that. The HAL hands-on class was much better than the demo only, though.

• 2 weeks later...

HAL does the cooking classes for a fee. They also do demonstrations on each cruise we have been on. They have a lovely kitchen and it is open to anyone on board. The executive chef may do two or three recipes which he has printed. They also give samples for all of them as well. A really fun way to spend part of a sea day.

We are cruising on the Westerdam in January. Called guest services yesterday and they told me the classes are $29. each. They also said they may not have a written anouncement of when the classes are, you just have to ask when you get on board.

• 3 weeks later...

I took both classes offered on Noordam last year for a Med cruise. One took place on a sea day, the other took place on a port day but right around the time of departure so it did not impact anything. Thanks to a tip I found while researching on CC, I went straight to the main desk, (not excursions), on the ship as soon as I boarded, and signed up for them. They were around $30 each/pp and a great deal. Both classes sold out well in advance, (there are only a dozen or so participants allowed), so I recommend booking them as soon as you board, (you can't do it in advance).

Archived