trojanjulez - question for you re ziplining

travelcrazy006

hi, have been following a thread re alaska ziplining. did you book with alaska zip co. directly? i want to but am having trouble with the tour times, too close to ship departure time. but the only zip tour with alaska zip that princess shows is with a mt. bike return to town. just wondering what you were able to get. my ship is in port only til 4pm. thanks, appreciate any info you have

Hi Travelcrazy!

I did book directly with Alaska Zipline Adventures, but it took me a long time to get ahold of them (they started their season at the beginning of May, then they had a few power outtages to deal with). Their website is http://www.alaskazip.com/index.html and their phone number is 907-321-0947. You can also email them at info@alaskazip.com. It took me about 1 week of phone messages and emails to hear back from them, but they were very helpful once we were able to connect.

Each tour lasts about 4 hours, including transport time. If your ship leaves at 4, they have 9:00 and 11:30 tours on tuesdays, 11:30 on fridays and saturdays, and sundays vary. The sunday that we will be in Juneau (June 24), they have a 10:00 tour. (Not sure what day you'll be in town).The cost is $115.

I'd say keep calling - if you can talk to Rachel or Matt in person, they might be able to guarantee getting you to your ship on time, even with the 11:30 tours. I have read that they give you tea and a snack at the end of the tour, so if you're in a time crunch, I wonder if it would be possible to skip this and get transported back to the ship early? I'm not sure if they are able to do this, but it might be worth asking - if you'll be in Juneau on one of those days with an 11:30 tour. From what I have read, the Alaska tour operators are pretty flexible in order to get your business, and they pretty much guarantee that you will be back on board in time.

I saw from your other post that you have decided against Alaska Canopy Adventures, so I won't post their info (sounds like you already know a lot about it, anyway!), but if you change you mind, let me know. I believe that Princess uses this company for their "Rainforest Canopy and Zipline Exp", which is on page 37 of the shore excursion guide (tour 015). It costs $175 in Juneau through Princess and $159 in Ketchikan through Princess, so if you change you mind and want to book with them, it will probably be even cheaper.

I hope this helps! I'm sorry if I just gave you a bunch of information that you already knew! :)

I'm not sure if your cruise stops in Ketchikan, but there is 1 more option there: a Rainforest Ropes and Zipline Challenge offered through Southeast Exposure. It looks like this is more of a challenge course than strictly ziplining... their website is http://www.southeastexposure.com/rainforest-ropes-and-zip-challenge.html if you want to check it out. Princess offers this excursion for $142; I'm sure it is cheaper if you book independently, but I have no idea about scheduling. Their email address for more info is seexposure@kpunet.net.

Please let me know if I can help with anything else! Best of luck with booking! Let us all know what you decide... :)

hi, thanks for the detailed response, i appreciate that. my ship is in juneau on a friday and they save the morning tours for the cruise ships but that tour is only with a mt. bike ride plus ziplining (i'm not a biker!). they won't allow you to book independently just for the ziplining, well the cruiselines won't allow it. and i'm afraid the 11:30 tour will not get back in time , that's really cutting it close. i'm not sure what i'm going to do, i might have to go with alaska canopy co. rachel told me to call her back next week, they are working on something with the cruise lines that might open things up, hopefully. thanks again

So, Princess doesn't offer ziplining by itself on your cruise? I would be hesitant about a mountain biking combo tour, too - I haven't been on a bike in about 8 years! At least you have spoken with Rachel, and she knows your predicament. It sounds like you are working all of the proper channels. I really hope that it works out for you! :)

Archived