Trip Report Oosterdam Alaska Cruise – July 24-31, 2004 Day 7 of 8

bryanwal

Friday, July 30, 2004 – Sea Day and Victoria

We woke up around 8 to a bright and sunny morning, the first such weather in days. We got ready, got the laundry ready, then I read yesterday’s USA Today and my novel on the verandah for a while until all were ready for breakfast. We ate breakfast by the Lido pool again, then bought some half-price logo shirts at the sale by the Lido pool before coming down to work on my trip report. The ship news said the sale would begin at 9am but they only just started setting up at 9. The sunshine has disappeared as we turn into the straits and it’s now overcast and foggy. At 10:30 E & I went to the debarkation talk and crew farewell. After that we went to the Ocean Bar to read. While we were there they conducted the trivia contest, which, had I entered I would have done pretty well on, but not won. At 12:30 we went up to the Crow’s Nest for the suite brunch, stopping at the suite to drop off our books. The suite brunch was very nicely done. I had some caviar, surprisingly good (just tasted like salt, really, plus all the stuff you eat with it helps, such as onion, egg yolk, sour cream, etc.) and lots of other good food, well served, with a lovely ice sculpture of a swan in the center. After that we headed down to the Vista Lounge for the behind the scenes tour and to meet the cast. However, they didn’t really demonstrate the capabilities of the stage because they had to put up the Rockin’ Road sets because tomorrow morning early the new Oosterdam cast is coming aboard to rehearse for their first real show. The stage technicians each talked about themselves and their jobs and some of the Oosterdam crew did the same and then answered questions. Around 2pm I went up to get the boys while E saved seats for the 2:30 “The Mikes” encore. The Mikes were wonderful and Jeffrey got them all to sign his CD that he had bought after their first performance the other night Then all four of us went to work out. K & I walked 1 mile and ran three on the promenade then went to the Ocean Spa to work out our legs on the Cybex machine and do abs. Sam Powers, the magician, was there with an assistant he was training in dance moves and Chris, one of the Oosterdam Cast lead singers was there with headphones running through his dance moves. He’s staying on board to work with the new cast. We were very close to Victoria now and when we came back to the room, the ship was docking. We watched that process and then I took a shower and got dressed for dinner. We’ve been here before so we’re probably not going to disembark.

They have a lovely greeting for the ship here. At the bottom of the gangway there is a Victorian streetlamp with flower baskets hanging from it and several men and women dressed in Victorian garb passing out tourist literature and greeting visitors. From the verandah we could see a line of surreys and flower-bedecked horse drawn trolleys waiting to take visitors across Stanley Park and into town. Captain Mercer made sure that we arrived ahead of the Diamond Princess’ 3000 passengers so that those who desired could get through Canadian Customs without a huge line. Sure enough, soon after the Diamond docked, there was a long line backing out of the customs building in the port. I read my novel on the verandah for a while then got ready for dinner. In Victoria, 1st & 2nd seating is moved up to 5pm and 3rd & 4th seating to 7pm so we had an “early” dinner. I had Portabella and Ricotta Crostini w\ smoked chicken breast, Crab & Artichoke dip with foccacia, cream of white mushroom soup and Mustard and Onion Grilled Chicken breast. The chicken with its accompanying polenta was tasteless. IMHO, much of the food on this cruise is fairly bland and underseasoned. I finished with Linzer Torte with whipped cream, one of the “no sugar added” options. The Indonesian Servers all gathered on the stairs in the dining room to sing a traditional Indonesian song of farewell. It was quite charming. Our new tables mates did not show up, but we knew that they had wanted to get off the ship, so were not surprised.

We made one last stop to see the Yum Yum Guy and then E & I went to the Crow’s Nest to listen to music and read, and watch the sunset, and then down to the Explorer’s Lounge to listen to the pianist, who was quiet good. So many people have gotten off in Victoria that the ship is fairly quiet. We ordered breakfast room service to be delivered tomorrow morning between 7:45 and 8 so we could avoid the rush in the Lido and then read in bed until about 11:30. Darma had already picked up the rental tuxes when we got back. We did not put out our luggage since it was small roll away luggage that we could easily take off the ship ourselves. That made life so much simpler.

Bryan Walton

Archived