Passports

dj cruise

I have a stupid question(sorry)

We are on the Carnival Glory 9-22-07 do we need a passport for this cruise or not?

we are on the Western route

Thank you

Brian

No you do not need one, personal choice, many will tell you tales of former Americans stranded on foreign cruise port beaches begging for beer money because their country will not allow them to re-enter.

If you however miss the embarkation and need to fly to the first port, you might be out of luck - so just don't miss the ship!

Also, if you ever plan on traveling again, which is solely your decision, you will have to bite the bullet eventually...

...but please get the facts:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

You won't need a passport for the cruise but if you need to fly out from another country while on the cruise, you will need the passport to enter the US.

I would recommend you order it NOW. We leave tomorrow for the Valor and are still waiting for my DS passport that we ordered in Feb. We hope we don't have an emergency. We've been calling for two weeks and their "expedite" and "Urgent" apparently do not mean what I thought they did.

BUT, We are not going to let it spoil our trip! We are ready to go . .:)

No you do not need one, personal choice, many will tell you tales of former Americans stranded on foreign cruise port beaches begging for beer money because their country will not allow them to re-enter.

If you however miss the embarkation and need to fly to the first port, you might be out of luck - so just don't miss the ship!

Also, if you ever plan on traveling again, which is solely your decision, you will have to bite the bullet eventually...

...but please get the facts:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

You won't need a passport for the cruise but if you need to fly out from another country while on the cruise, you will need the passport to enter the US.

I would recommend you order it NOW. We leave tomorrow for the Valor and are still waiting for my DS passport that we ordered in Feb. We hope we don't have an emergency. We've been calling for two weeks and their "expedite" and "Urgent" apparently do not mean what I thought they did.

BUT, We are not going to let it spoil our trip! We are ready to go . .:)

Also from:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html#12

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

Also from:

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html#12

Q. What happens to U.S. citizens who attempt to re-enter the country without a passport or an alternative travel card?

Under the law, the new documentation requirements may be waived under certain circumstances. These exceptions include individual cases of unforeseen emergency and individual cases based on “humanitarian or national interest reasons.” In addition, the State Department has processes to assist U.S. citizens overseas to obtain emergency travel documentation for those with lost or stolen passports.

For the general public, people who apply for entry but do not have appropriate documentation will be referred for secondary screening at the port. In secondary, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers will evaluate any evidence of citizenship or identity the individual may have and will verify all information against available databases. However, to prevent delay at the ports of entry, we would encourage all U.S. citizens to obtain the appropriate documents before they travel.

Excellent link and post, not everyone got my subtle sarcasm and humor about the stranded Americans without a country...;)

Excellent link and post, not everyone got my subtle sarcasm and humor about the stranded Americans without a country...;)

I know. :D

It is amazing how many people actually think you'll suddenly be stranded and have to start a whole new life in a foreign country. :rolleyes:

Archived