Round Trip - Best time of year

lawgirl

Hello. We would like to take a round trip to Hawaii. I have looked at the previous posts and it appears the Fall might be the warmest/calmest time for the sea days. (We like to hang out at the pool on sea days and worry it might be really windy/cold) However, I don't think that we will see whales that time of year. Does anyone have any experience on a good time of year to go that might be calm/warm and allow us to see whales - mabe we are hoping for too much and just need to make a choice! Thanks!

We've done 3 crossings to/from Hawaii, one in Oct, the other two in November. Only on the last one in the latter part of November, was the weather nice enough to be around or in the pool on the crossing. Whales really don't start arriving until December.

The whales 'vacation' in Hawai'i, just like many of us, so they are there during the winter months. While it's still warm in the islands, there is more likelihood of rain then. Haven't sailed during that time, but from experience, I know there are a lot more red flags up (no swimming due to rip tides) that time of year as well. If you want lots of sun, come during the summer and early fall - that's when the temperatures will be the best. If you want whales, it's going to have to be during the winter months.

Charlie

Weather, just like anything else is a gamble. We did the round trip for Christmas/New Years and we had great weather for the majority of the time. We had high swells going out and the first two days were rough (we rode a storm out) - but we had beautiful weather and smooth seas the rest of the time. No rain at all! However, there was high surf in Kona and we did not get to port. Instead we were rewarded with an entire day in Ensenada! Goodie :rolleyes: It really is pretty unpredictable..... we will be going back for for a land vacation next Christmas to Kona...

Archived