Vancouver Hotels Pre and Post Cruise

Our extended family of 8 (ranging from 80+ to 10) will be taking an Alaskan cruise in early July from Canada Place. We will be spending one night pre ( about 24 hours) and 1 night post (about 30 hours) the cruise in Vancouver.

As we also wish to see a bit of Vancouver while we are in the lovely city, can any helpful Vancouverite suggest:

a. Some suitable hotels (not 5 star) which would also be convenient to see a bit of downtown;

b. If any of these hotels have a shuttle

i. From the airport

ii. To the cruiseport

c. What sights are a must-see in Vancouver

d. As some of the party are vegetarians, can anybody recommend some restaurants downtown?

Much obliged and looking forward to this visit to scenic Vancouver. Thanks in advance.

For food if you like Chinese Food I would recommend the Hon's on Robson they have a separate vegetarian kitchen and the food is amazing. You can check out this site for more Vegetarian options http://www.vegdining.com/Search.cfm Vancouver Restaurants are very good about offering vegetarian options on their menus - even the 5 star fine dining restaurants like Lumiere have multi-course vegetarian menus

As far as the hotel - you may want to check the tourism Website - they will be able to help you find a hotel that will fit your budget and location demands. I would also find confirm if your cruise is leaving from Ballantyne or Canada Place. There are no hotels close to Ballantyne, but most of downtown hotels should have access a shuttle.

I hope you enjoy your trip

The holiday inn express mentioned in the above post is near the PNE - not near downtown & not near much of anything. see it mapped...downtown is well to the west.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2889+EAST+HASTINGS+STREET,+VANCOUVER,+BC&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.946584,60.732422&ie=UTF8&ll=49.281244,-123.044472&spn=0.152072,0.237236&z=12&iwloc=addr&om=1

are you married to the idea of staying downtown both nights? I can see that it would be convenient for your pre-cruise night....many of the downtown hotels either have a shuttle to the cruise terminal or are close enough to easily walk.

post-cruise, if I were you, I'd rent a van (national & alamo are right in the cruise terminal...the rest will shuttle you off-site) and explore outside of downtown....other than stanley park, the aquarium & shopping there are many more things to do out of the downtown core... ..perhaps stay on the north shore where you're close to grouse mountain/capilano bridge/nice beaches etc?

Here it is

Hotel Info VANCOUVER

Holiday Inn Express

2889 EAST HASTINGS STREET

VANCOUVER, BC V5K 2A1

1-604-2541000

I just called them and it sounds like a real good deal.

Thanks for the info. As stated by the next poster, the hotel seems somewhat out of the way. Much obliged for your reply and hope that you can suggest something more closer.

The holiday inn express mentioned in the above post is near the PNE - not near downtown & not near much of anything. see it mapped...downtown is well to the west.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2889+EAST+HASTINGS+STREET,+VANCOUVER,+BC&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=46.946584,60.732422&ie=UTF8&ll=49.281244,-123.044472&spn=0.152072,0.237236&z=12&iwloc=addr&om=1

are you married to the idea of staying downtown both nights? I can see that it would be convenient for your pre-cruise night....many of the downtown hotels either have a shuttle to the cruise terminal or are close enough to easily walk.

post-cruise, if I were you, I'd rent a van (national & alamo are right in the cruise terminal...the rest will shuttle you off-site) and explore outside of downtown....other than stanley park, the aquarium & shopping there are many more things to do out of the downtown core... ..perhaps stay on the north shore where you're close to grouse mountain/capilano bridge/nice beaches etc?

Many thanks for your clarification. We are in fact coming from out of Canada and not used to driving on highways. Additionally, with the range in ages of the group, it may be somewhat difficult to agree on common activities for the whole group. Thus being downtown would allow some flexibility in choices.

For the pre-cruise, I am in fact wondering whether being downtown would be much use as I presume the hotels are more expensive there. Do you think that staying near the airport before the cruise would be more sensible as our plane only is scheduled to arrive at 3 pm after a long flight. If so, any suggestions of probably 3 star hotels near the airport as I presume they will be much cheaper and possibly have complimentary shuttle from the airport.

Additionally, I suppose that some hotels will have senior rates. What is the exact definition of a senior? Is it over 55, 60 or 65?

As explained above, can you also perhaps suggest a downtown hotel for the post-cruise as we will be more relaxed and have more time.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi, I was given that info by someone else and wanted to pass it on. I don't know anything about the hotel or its locations. I did call the hotel and they do offer airport shuttle service ($7.50 for the reservation) and shuttle service to the port (no charge) and you can arrange for a shuttle to take you down town. (don't know about that cost). We've been to Vancouver in the past and have seen some of the sights. I'm open for suggestions, please. Do you know of a hotel that provides airport and port shuttle service?

Archived