Help me choose a cruise...

Which cruise/ship would you choose?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise/ship would you choose?

• 5 Day Western on Fantasy (ports include Costa Maya 12-8 and Cozumel 7-5)
    • 5 Day Eastern on Imagination (ports include Grand Turk 7-2:30, HMC 9:30-6, Nassau 7-5)
    • 5 Day Western on Holiday (ports include Costa Maya 12-7 and Cozumel 7-5)
    • 4 Day Western on Fascination (ports include Key West 7:30-2 and Cozumel 1-10

We've done 2 7-day cruises solo (Valor and Triumph) and are now looking into trying the kids on a shorter cruise (4 or 5 day). Priorities of ours include: time in port (I hate feeling rushed when it's just the 2 of us, I can't imagine having 2 kiddos in tow), the ship itself (as far as what it has to offer, what kind of shape it's in and quality of Camp Carnival facilities) and excursions available to us (nothing as adventurous as when it's just the two of us...short tours that would hold the kids' attention or a nice beach day with short shopping). Kiddos will be 9/10 and 6/7 (depending on when we go).

We have been to Cozumel and really enjoyed it, would probably head back to Paradise Beach and do some shopping. We've also been to Nassau, thought it was just OK, and would probably do Atlantis.

With that in mind, please choose one of the following choices on the poll, and please post an explanation to go with your answer.

I would vote for the Imagination. I don't have a lot to back up my vote, but here are two reasons why . . .

HMC receives rave reviews as one of the best private islands. I would go there in a heartbeat.

Even though you thought Nassau was "just okay", it is an easy place to navigate with children. There is the option of spending the day at the Hilton and shopping at the Straw Market.

Good luck with your decision! I look forward to hearing what others have to say,

I voted for Imagination for the following reasons:

1. It's the newest of the ships you mentioned.

2. It has 3 port days vs. only 2 port days.

3. I would always choose a 5-day cruise over a 4-day cruise if given a choice.

Good luck with your decision! :)

I picked the Imagination...I will always hold her near and dear since she was my first cruise! Aside from that, I really want to go to HMC and Grand Turk. The ship is going through the "Evolutions of Fun" this fall, so the ship will be in great shape when you go - if I remember from previous posts, you want to go next year. I've been on the Celebration, not the Holiday, but I wouldn't cruise a Holiday class ship again...just too small for me. Of course, you'll see lots of people here that LOVE those ships!

I'd chose the Imagination!

You would enjoy HMC and Grand Turk they are beautiful.

I loved the Imagination because I went back on it again.

Going somewhere different is more exciting.

What ever your family choses hope you have a great cruise and let us know.

Cassandra

Morning MamaP. :D

You didn't say when you were thinking of going, so my choice would be the Imagination after the Sept refurb. Not only will it have the new amenities in place but Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are really nice. Plenty to do, except shopping, for everybody.

For anyone's who been here, I'm looking for excursion possibilities. Since HMC is obviously a "beach-it day", I don't know that it'll be real exciting for the kids (or me!) to plop them on a beach for another entire day. All I'm reading on the Ports Of Call boards are about beaches and scooters (and I don't feel real comfortable having my small kids ride on the back of a scooter). Other options mentioned there were horseback riding (not a big fan) and dune buggies (DH is a big man, and they usually have weight restrictions on them). HELP!

Morning MamaP. :D

You didn't say when you were thinking of going, so my choice would be the Imagination after the Sept refurb. Not only will it have the new amenities in place but Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay are really nice. Plenty to do, except shopping, for everybody.

Thanks for the input. Looking at going probably late '08, early '09.

5 Day Eastern on Imagination was my vote to meet the criteria of most time in port.

At the age your kids will be, I'd say they're ready for a seven day cruise. ;)

THEY may be ready, the question is, am *I*? :D My son, now almost 4, is a tad, *ahem*, "high strung". He's *starting* to turn a corner behaviorally, but I cannot imagine him on a ship before now. I'd like to wait a few years, so he'll atleast REMEMBER it, too. I'll also feel more comfortable having them try out CC is he's old enough to tell me/them what's going on with him (I quit my job to be an at home child care provider because I'm not real trusting when it comes to leaving my kiddos with people:o ).

MamaP, couldn't find the excursion lists from our Elation cruise. Sorry.

We had decided before we went that the Elation would be our relaxation cruise, so we didn't do any excursions. We beached it both days. But DD had 2 new friends along (my friends granddaughters) so she was very content.

I would say, think about making your Grand Turk stop your beach day. You can split your time between the beach and the pool & Margaritaville. They played a couple games by the pool when we were there and had music on all day. Other than touring the island (which is pretty small) it seems the excursions are mainly snorkeling and scuba, which you can also do at HMC.

At HMC they have a water sports rental shop and have paddle boats, motorized inflatable boats and kayaks, they offer parasailing, there is a stingray excursion. It just feels like there is a little more variety of things to do.

HTH

I, obviously, have no advice to give on the ships or ports, since I have never been on a cruise. But the first thing that struck me, when looking at the choices were a couple of the times in port. I noticed that 2 of the stops arrive early in the morning and leave pretty early in the afternoon, around 2:00. Yes, that's like 7 hours in port, but it might be something to think about. What time are your kids usually the most "active"? I guess just something to consider. If they are "early risers" that might be good. But if they are not going to want to get up until 10:00 or 11:00 it might cut some time out of the day.

All that being said, I like the sound of the 5 Day Eastern on Imagination.

Krystle, based on your astute observation I'd say you're already well on your way to being a seasoned cruiser.

Those days can come pretty early and it sometimes seems just as your day is getting started it has to end.

It isn't so bad with Grand Turk since the ship actually docks, but I've always had a problem with the Grand Cayman times since you have to tender ashore.

Archived