Buying an upgrade at embarkation

newlife

Has anyone ever paid for an upgrade at embarkation?

Every cruise we have been on has been sold out so we have never had a chance to buy an upgrade.

Do they offer a better price the day of the cruise?

We have an inside cabin, but would love to pay for an upgrade.

We leave this Saturday and the internet is still showing oceanview and balcony cabins still available.

Thanks

Like you, every cruise I've been on has been sold out. There are always signs at check-in saying that the cruise is sold out and no upgrades are possible.

The cruise lines move heaven and earth to sell all the cabins. They have lists of people who live in the home port and can travel on a few days notice. If the advertised sales don't fill all the cabins, they start calling the list.

On some less-popular itineraries or at the slowest travel times of the year, there may be cabins available. It is my understanding that, when this happens, upgrades are sold at check-in, but there is no price break. You will pay the difference between the full, published price of your cabin and the one you upgrade to.

The moral of the story is; if you want an upgrade, the best thing to do is to book it and pay for it, while there are still cabins to choose from. Remember, aside from a few last-minute cancellations, any cabins available at sailing are probably the least desirable in their category; next to elevators, under the kitchen, etc.

Do people occasionally get incredibly lucky and receive a fantastic upgrade at a bargain price? Absolutely, but it is not something you can plan on.

Our last Carnival Cruise was in 2003 and we noticed that the price of our inside cabin dropped a few weeks before our cruise date. Our TA called Carnival and we were upgraded to a balcony suite. I also saw a few passengers get upgraded at the pier, but am not sure if they paid or what they paid, etc. :p

Thanks for everyone's input.

DW and I are happy with our cabin location (Panorama Deck 10), but we were a little curious to see if there is an upgrade fairy at the port.

I think we will spend our money on other things.

Thanks

Archived