Any advice for Carnival Conquest out of Galveston?

FRESCAANGEL

Do you happen to know what Captain Marvin's cancellation policy is? Since our cruise is in Sept there is a possiblity of bad weather and possibley even having to change ports of call. We took our last cruise in Sept and our ports of call were backwards. I certainly don't mind changing ports of call but if I book an excursion outside of Carnival I don't want to get stuck with nothing if we have weather interruptions.:(

I've read nothing but good things about Captain Marvin's and I would rather do his snorkle and stingray tour than the one offered by Carnival.

Let me know if you have any info.:p

Captain Marvin is good about cancellation. He will know if the weather is bad and the ship does not dock. You will not be charged. check their website for more details.

Robb

I have seen this written about before, but what kind of sunscreen did you use?? One person will say they were not allowed to wear ANY kind of sunscreen while in the water, other people will say you can only wear natural sunscreen! What kind did y'all wear, and how do they inforce it if they won't let you wear sunscreen? Do they wipe your skin with their hands and check??:)

Sheri-

Ummmm... we didn't put any on :eek: And yes, we KNEW BETTER than to do that!!! But when we left it was cloudy and cool, almost drizzly at some times, and we just figured we'd put it on when we got out on the boat at the dive spots. And then, when we snorkeled, we weren't in one spot very long (20-30 min., but it goes by so fast!) and we just never did. We had no idea we'd been exposed to that much sun until we were back on the Conquest later that night- 3 of us blistered pretty bad (and we did already have a 'base' tan!) and that is a good way to ruin a great vacation. It didn't ruin ours, but we were very uncomfortable for several days to say the least.

There was NO MENTION about sunscreen restrictions at all from our Captain Marvins guides. I have read that some people were told you couldn't wear it because it harms the reef life... but no one ever said that to us. I'd at least make sure I had a t-shirt to wear, in the event that you do get guides that say you can't wear it... but I'd still probably put it on before I left the ship- do it even if it's cloudy! :p

BTW, we're a couple of hours from you in Midland- we live north of Abilene. :)

Oh, yeah-- I'll second the reassurance on Captain Marvin's not charging you if you can't dock. In fact, they did not charge us at all until we got to their shop that morning- but they had promised me before hand that if the ship is unable to dock or if they can't take you out for weather reasons they don't charge. They can answer any questions like that over the phone- they were good to work with.

Sheri-

Ummmm... we didn't put any on :eek: And yes, we KNEW BETTER than to do that!!! But when we left it was cloudy and cool, almost drizzly at some times, and we just figured we'd put it on when we got out on the boat at the dive spots. And then, when we snorkeled, we weren't in one spot very long (20-30 min., but it goes by so fast!) and we just never did. We had no idea we'd been exposed to that much sun until we were back on the Conquest later that night- 3 of us blistered pretty bad (and we did already have a 'base' tan!) and that is a good way to ruin a great vacation. It didn't ruin ours, but we were very uncomfortable for several days to say the least.

There was NO MENTION about sunscreen restrictions at all from our Captain Marvins guides. I have read that some people were told you couldn't wear it because it harms the reef life... but no one ever said that to us. I'd at least make sure I had a t-shirt to wear, in the event that you do get guides that say you can't wear it... but I'd still probably put it on before I left the ship- do it even if it's cloudy! :p

BTW, we're a couple of hours from you in Midland- we live north of Abilene. :)

Oh, yeah-- I'll second the reassurance on Captain Marvin's not charging you if you can't dock. In fact, they did not charge us at all until we got to their shop that morning- but they had promised me before hand that if the ship is unable to dock or if they can't take you out for weather reasons they don't charge. They can answer any questions like that over the phone- they were good to work with.

I have snorkelled a lot and you need major sunblock on your back and the back of your thighs or a t shirt it might even look cloudy but you can get nasty sunburn from snorkelling.

I've been snorkling in a few places and have never had the warning of no sunscreen. Remember to reapply between stops if you are doing a stringray stop and then a snorkling stop or whatever. Also if you are just shopping and enjoying the sights apply sunscreen.

We traveled with my parents and my dad wanted to park at the Port of Galveston parking lot because they had some covered spots. It's $20 more to park here than the lighthouse or ez parking lots but I wasn't going to argue. It's an additional $10 if you want the covered parking. This lot is the closest to the terminal but all of them have shuttle service to and from so it doesn't make a huge difference where you park. These lots as well as the hotels (we've done the hotel/free parking thing also) are designated for cruises only and will close the gates to the lots and lock them. They are secure and will have security monitor the lots a couple times of day. Definitely reserve the parking on line though if you go with one of the terminal lots as you get $5 off.

I have VERY dry skin, so the humidity was so nice!! Not the really hot PART of the humidity, but my skin was SO soft throughout the whole cruise!!:)

My skin may be soft..but I'll end up looking like Shirley Temple. My hair curls in humid weather. I better bring a lot of hat's!

Help preserve the reefs!!! Buy BIO-DEGRADABLE sunscreen at Wal-Mart, Target, K-mart- they sell it everywhere just ask! The film that regular sunscreen leaves on the top of sea water blocks oxygen and adds to excess proteins in the water, making it difficult for natural chemicals reactions to occur.

Help preserve the reefs!!! Buy BIO-DEGRADABLE sunscreen at Wal-Mart, Target, K-mart- they sell it everywhere just ask! The film that regular sunscreen leaves on the top of sea water blocks oxygen and adds to excess proteins in the water, making it difficult for natural chemicals reactions to occur.

Will do!!! Thanks!!

My children and I are staying in Houston the night before we cruise. Is there a different way to get to the port other than the causeway or is there a certain time we can leave Houston to get to Galveston before they shut it down for a few hours??? We are leaving on July 29, 2007.

My DH and I will be taking our 3rd cruise on the Conquest on Sept. 2. We love the Conquest!! On our first Conquest cruise, we did the SeaTrek helmet dive, which was awesome. It was off a dock on Doctor's Cove beach, but you'd never know you were that close to land. We were approached by street vendors trying to sell CD's as we waited for our bus to leave, but we just told them No, and it was not a problem.

On our second Conquest trip, we did the horseback ride and swim and loved it! We did not see any street vendors on this trip. However, I did make the mistake of visiting the vendors in the little tents on the dock just outside the Conquest. Don't go there. They are very pushy. Just walk right past them. However, the stores inside the terminal have a wide variety of Jamaican souvenirs at reasonable prices. They also have the Blue Mountain coffee there. If you're a coffee lover, you MUST take some of this coffee home! You can do your Jamaican shopping right there in a controlled environment and avoid the street people.

My advice for being on the Conquest itself is to remember that you can only go from one end of the ship to the other on decks 5 or 9. (Possibly also on one of the lowest decks, but I'm not sure about that.) Or you can go outside and walk along the deck where the lifeboats are. The Conquest can be very confusing to find your way around on, and you will see many passengers with this dazed look on their faces as they try to find the dining rooms and various places. To get to the Internet Cafe, you must go through Alfred's "smoking bar" on Deck 4 at the rear of the ship. When you board, pick up one of those little pocket maps of the ship and keep it with you for the first couple of days. You'll need it!

DO NOT waste your time on the "fabulous watch sale" that they hype so much. The watches in the sale are nothing but junk. I picked up several that literally fell apart in my hands as I looked at them. DO go to the meeting about the ports and shore excursions, and sit in the front row if you can. (So you can get some free goodies!) The shows at night are all good. Try to see them all. Don't miss the Newlywed Game. Too funny! Also, don't miss the frozen ice cream and yogurt (I prefer the yogurt.). It is soooo good and is available on the Lido deck 24/7. Don't forget that you can get room service for breakfast by filling out the little card they provide and hanging it on the door the night before. You tell them what time you want it, and it will be there. (no charge!) If you're a cheesecake lover, DO NOT miss the strawberry cheesecake at the coffee shop on Deck 5. It costs $2.00 for a HUGE, HUGE piece, and it is out of this world delicious!!! It's one of the few things you have to pay extra for, but it's definitely worth it.

For excursions, you must visit the stingrays. They are so gentle and not a bit dangerous. I can't imagine going to Grand Cayman and not seeing them! In Cozumel, we did the Lighthouse, Ruins, Snorkel by Jeep tour, and it was wonderful.....but be warned that the snorkel part has you snorkeling about a mile and a half. As others have said, there's lots of shopping in Cozumel right off the dock of the Conquest. You will have a great time!!!

EZ cruise will rent you a car cover adnstill be cheaper than the terminal parking. The hotel next to the Holiday one of the posters mentioned is the San Luis. And don't forget sunscreen even at the earliest of hours. We got roasted at 7:30 in the morning while snorkling! Lesson learned!

I must say frescaangel, I like the positive attitude. "a bad day on the sea its better than a good day at work" your husband is a lucky guy, hope you enjoy the cruise and let us know how it went.;)

We too are going in October and we are from Grapevine-Colleyville area near Dallas Ft Worth. We have sailed 3 other times out of Galveston. We always drive down the day we sail and park on the dock. It works well too. But we have friends who always go up the night before. It really is a personal preference. We are looking forward to the ship. It has got to be better than the Celebration. A yukky-dirty ship.

Also we hope the Chocolate Buffet is as awesome as it was on NCL.

Can't wait really.

Thanks for all the great advice!! I had no idea about the sunscreen and the reef. I'm so glad you guys said something ahead of time. I am white as white can be and burn extremely easy if I don't wear sunscreen, and a lot of it!:eek: I will definitely be buying some eco friendly sunscreen before the trip.

Thanks also for the tip about the San Luis. Unfortunately you can't rent the hotel for one night only. It has to be a minimum of two nights.

Please keep the info coming!! I love CC. I've learned more from people writing in than any other place I've tried to find info. Word of mouth is definitely the best way to get info.

Thanks!!:) :D ;)

I have heard so many great things about this ship that I can't wait to book a cruise on her. We're wanting to go around Christmas in December 2008 but can't book anything until we get school schedules for the 2008-2009 school year.

Also, does anyone know if, or when, the Conquest will get mini golf? It would be a lot easier to get our daughter excited about going on a ship that has this. My husband and I have only cruised Carnival and the military veteran discounts are wonderful.

We've thought about cruising on one fo the newer RCI ships, but I'm such a cheapskate that I can't see spending that much more money for a cruise that I may not like as well as Carnival.

Please don't stay on the boat, we loved Jamaica!! I took the kids to Sunset Beach Resort $40 adults/$20 for kids - all inclusive for the day, all your drinks, food and use of the facilities. I am a single mom that travels with two kids, I did quite a bit of research and that is what lead me to Sunset Beach. Best stop we have ever had on a cruise and we were not hassled once. It is not an excursion with the ship, we just grabbed a cab at the cruise terminal and they took us right there - about 2 minutes away.

I echo this! Sunset Beach was the best day we had. Everything about it was wonderful. So easy to get to. Just walk up to the entrance of the terminal where the guard is standing and tell them you want to go to Sunset Beach. They get you a cab. The cab driver will get you there in under five minutes and will arrange to pick you up too. Stay as long as you can! Great place I wish I was there now!!!

We too are going in October and we are from Grapevine-Colleyville area near Dallas Ft Worth. We have sailed 3 other times out of Galveston. We always drive down the day we sail and park on the dock. It works well too. But we have friends who always go up the night before. It really is a personal preference. We are looking forward to the ship. It has got to be better than the Celebration. A yukky-dirty ship.

Also we hope the Chocolate Buffet is as awesome as it was on NCL.

Can't wait really.

Hi neighbor! DD goes to CHHS..anyway, our 1st cruise ever was on the Celebration out of Galveston and we loved her because we had nothing eles to compare it to..Our group from GV/Colleyville (25 of us) sailed the Conquest 2 years ago and loved it! the Conquest is a much newer, larger ship and has a great teen area..The itenerary is awesome too. You will have a great time on the Conquest...much nicer than the Celebration, as it is one of the oldest or even the oldest in the Carnival fleet:) .

We are doing the same cruise in October. Thanks for the Barrett Adventures info. We were thinking of doing Sunset Beach but, that looks much more interesting. I can't wait to be back on the CQ! :D

We are going with a group of ten and are also going to Sunset beach in Jamaica. I hear it's awesome.

Please don't stay on the boat, we loved Jamaica!! I took the kids to Sunset Beach Resort $40 adults/$20 for kids - all inclusive for the day, all your drinks, food and use of the facilities. I am a single mom that travels with two kids, I did quite a bit of research and that is what lead me to Sunset Beach. Best stop we have ever had on a cruise and we were not hassled once. It is not an excursion with the ship, we just grabbed a cab at the cruise terminal and they took us right there - about 2 minutes away.

I echo this! Sunset Beach was the best day we had. Everything about it was wonderful. So easy to get to. Just walk up to the entrance of the terminal where the guard is standing and tell them you want to go to Sunset Beach. They get you a cab. The cab driver will get you there in under five minutes and will arrange to pick you up too. Stay as long as you can! Great place I wish I was there now!!!

We're going in a few days. I'm so addicted to their website. It's so beautiful, I can't wait:D

We are going December 9th. It's the first on Conquest but not on Carnival. Will the ship have Christmas decorations out? The Rhapsody did in Dec 4,05). Also we have not been to Montego Bay but have been to Ocho Rios. Jamaica is a very beautiful island.

We were on the Conquest in Dec. 05. Absolutely loved it. In Jamaica, we felt very uncomfortable (unsafe) in town. Then we went to Sunset Beach and loved it! It is definitely worth the price! It also has a waterpark that is included. It was beautiful, the snorkeling was wonderful and the drinks were plentiful! We will definitely go there again.

When in Jamaica, be sure to only get in a JUTA cab. They are white with a red logo that says JUTA. These are government sanctioned and you won't have any problems.

Annette

My wife and I are taking the same cruise in Oct.

We are first time cruisers and would appreciate

you telling us how the cruise was.

sueron1@verizon.net

Thank you. We are from Garland Texas.:D :rolleyes:

I wnet on this cruise in October 06. I rode with friends from Austin. There are several options for parking near the docks along Harborside Dr, starting at $70 per week. Most, if not, all have shuttle service.

This was my first cruise and the experience was wonderful! Boarding was a breeze, but disembarkation was a bit of a pain: customs is slow and poorly laid out - luggage isn't laid out in any particular order - at least you disembark by deck and section (say, Deck 7 Empress, aft).

In Jamaica, just say "no, mon" to anyone trying to get your business. The cruise director, Mark offered lots of advice before each port of call as did the personal shopper. I booked a horseback ride and swin in Jamaica and snorkeling in Grand Cayman through Carnival for $124 and had a great time in each location. The main issue in Jamaica is that the shopping area is far from port, but ataxi rde is about $4.00 per person one-way (if I recall). **Avoid Margaritaville - the food is bad.**

In Grand Cayman, you'll disembark to a tender and ride into port. The snorkeluing was great fun: I looked down at the coral reefs and tropical fish. My friends went on the stingray encounter and mostly enjoyed it.

In Cozumel, shopping is the main activity. Unfortunately it was very hot so, I didn't do much there.

As for the ship itself, the cabins and public areas were well-kept. The food was excellent, even the buffets. I can highly recommend this ship and itinerary!

Just back from Cruise on Conquest...wonderful. If you are going at a busy time of year (all summer) can be crowded (we were full, over 3500 guests) so allow for that . Jamaica was fine daughter did Doctors Cave beach and snorkel and stayed on the beach for longer than tour. I did Negril and it was fun but too long a ride so I would also recommend sunset beach if you want something close and safe. The only taxi's allowed in the pier area are the JUTA"s.

In Cozumel, for the young at heart I recommend the Race Fantastique...my daughter participated in that and had a wonderful time and her team won. It is a lot like the amazing race.

Be cautious about photo's on board. They did not work with us to give us what we wanted or compromise in any way. Be sure you want the sizes you get...you always have to buy the one they post as well as copies...They also don't touch them up very much even where it is their fault.

Otherwise everything wonderful...have fun!! Driving down was a breeze, we left early from DFW about 6 and were there by 11:30...EZ cruise is next to ship and they will send a map. They were wonderful as well. ONly a slight caution to handicapped, they park a good walk from where you enter. You might leave those of your party who may have that difficulty at closer door before going to EZcruise.

Archived