Beach Glass??

PACU

Well, I must admit that I didn't really know either, but it's remarkably simple:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_glass

I suppose there is a lot of it due to the many shipwrecks around Bermuda? I guess the only other explanation is a lot of litter!

Theron

P.S. Wow, they have their own club! http://www.seaglassassociation.com/

What is beach glass??

Beach/sea glass is real glass the has been pumiced by the sand and motion of the water and washed up on shore. Bermuda has several beaches that have alot of it. They use to dispose much of their waste out past the three mile marker, that included old bottles, windows...glass..now it's making it's way back to shore. You may also find pottery pieces that have been worn done by the sand. You may find glass that has pieces of wire that run thru it (looks like miniture chicken wire) that was from the old prison windows on the island. Just a little side note, in California they are finding some beach glass that was glass dumped into the ocean when they were cleaning up San Francisco from the Great Earthquake! Some pieces had still telltale marks from the buildings that they came from. Amazing! Anyway, this glass is turned into jewlery..whatever.

There have been several efforts over the years to remove glass from beaches in Bermuda. Some of the glass may be smoothed, but there are still sharp pieces in the water. Glass at the beach is usually thought of as something that needs to be cleaned up. So don’t be surprised if it’s hard to find.

There have been several efforts over the years to remove glass from beaches in Bermuda. Some of the glass may be smoothed, but there are still sharp pieces in the water. Glass at the beach is usually thought of as something that needs to be cleaned up. So don’t be surprised if it’s hard to find.

Just goes to show one man's junk is another man's treasure! I had heard that, even one story that someone had removed much glass from the beach below their home because the "tinkling" of the water over it made too much of a racket for them! I guess if I didn't see it something fascinating I probably feel the same way.

Archived