Need booster seat in taxi in Vic for 4-year-old?

We'll be in Victoria for a few hours in the evening on our Alaska Inside Passage trip on the Golden Princess in a few weeks. If we decide to take a taxi from the ship to the inner harbour will we need a booster seat for our daughter? She is almost 5-years-old and about 40 pounds. She must ride in a booster here in WA state and I am assuming that BC has similar requirements - but not sure about taxis.

Thanks in advance!

:)

SeattleCruiser07

The same law applies in BC, however whether or not a taxi driver follows that is another story. If at all possible, I would bring the booster seat with you or wait for a cabbie that has a seat available. There are also shuttle buses available to get you to the Inner Harbour, but quite frankly if you have a stroller to put her in - I would walk it as it only takes about 20 minutes.

Exemption taxi driver

32.03 A taxi driver is exempt from the provisions of section 220 (6) of the Act while transporting a passenger for hire in a taxi.

This is the section of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations. It refers to Sec 220 (6) which is the section that makes Kids (under 16) buckle up/wear belts use the right stuff etc.

So your cab will not have the seat unless he is a "Great cabbie" I don't remember seeing a cab anywhere in my travels that had them or made you buckle up for that matter. :rolleyes:

As mentioned the distance is not that far and actually is mostly residential.

Enjoy Victoria..

Archived