Diving in Costa Maya

mikey3091

My girlfriend and I recently went diving in Costa Maya with the Maya Palms beach resort. I don't have enough good things to say about the experience. Immediately upon arriving, we were greeted by the manager at the front steps. After meeting the dive master, we were given a briefing of our dives. To our amazement, we were the only two diving that day. Kenny, the dive master, told us that even with a full group there would be no more than ten people (unlike the cattle boat diving we experienced in Cozumel the next day). Kenny was extremely knowledgeable and hospitable as was Pedro, the boat captain. Both of us felt absolutely safe even being novice divers. After our first dive we were taken back to the resort and enjoyed an authentic Mexican lunch and a little relaxation on the secluded beach. If you have ever seen a Corona commercial, it could have been filmed there. There were no crowds and everyone was exceptionally friendly. Before our cruise, we tried to book with another dive operator in Costa Maya; however, we were told that we were unable to do this because they had a contract with the cruise lines. Maya Palms was half the price and twice the experience (we later learned that the other operator we had tried to go with also did cattle boat diving). Next time we go diving in Mexico, we are planning to spend a week at this pristine resort. I can't even begin to capture this experience in words. It was amazing!

• 2 weeks later...
Do o you have to be certified. DS and DH have gone several times in Mexico and are not certified? Thanks for the Info!

Ellen

Ok, there are so many issues with the above statement, I don't know where to begin...... First off, Not smart at all to dive if not certified. You can be killed... There are things they teach to help prevent being killed that go waaayyyy beyond just learning how to breathe through a regulator.. So if they really enjoy it, go get certified. Then enjoy diving safely.... :D

Second, every dive operator that I've been with so far in my 2 years of diving have checked to make sure the divers are certified.... Have never been on a dive with people who weren't certified and allowed to dive anyways.... So any reputable dive shop will check and only allow certified divers. If they don't check and allow them, they are not worth my time to dive...... Sorry but it's a hobby/sport that can be very dangerous.......

Do you have to be certified.
To scuba dive you have to be certified unless you are doing a "Discover Scuba" dive.

DS and DH have gone several times in Mexico and are not certified.
I can only hope that you are talking about doing the Discover Scuba dive, also known as a "Resort Course". If that is the case, the only thing they are qualified to do is another Discover Scuba dive. You need to check directly with the operator to see if they offer that option. I know most ships offer that as an excursion on many of their stops.

There really is no shortcut to, or substitution for, getting certified.

• 1 month later...

I'm really glad to hear you liked Maya Palms. My hubby and I are on the Carnival Valor out of Miami Aug 5th and have a day booked with them to dive. Everyone who has found this place writes such good reviews that it makes you wonder if they were paid to do so! If there is anyone else who will be on our cruise and wishes to go with us to dive or just relax (the 'beach day' is about $32 and includes alcohol!) we would be happy to share the cab!!

Archived