Molokini Crater Snorkeling in Maui

agold1176

All,

I am interested in snorkeling at Molokini Crater. I booked a trip on the Prince Kuhio through www.tombarefoot.com but now have read terrible things about the boat and where it docks at Molokini. I am going to request to change the boat we are on -- any recommendations on what boat moors in a good location at Molokini? I've heard really positive things about the Four Winds which is a catamaran. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

I believe "Maui Revealed" likes Four Winds - I don't have my book with me but I'll check it when I get home & let you know. I've been trying to decide who to go with since I cancelled Rainbow Chaser (decided it was just way too much $$ to spend).

Thanks! Maui Revealed said the Prince Kuhio was bad thus why I'm looking but the book I'm reading is also 3 years old. I think I remember seeing the Four Winds in that book as good. In any case, I guess I wanted to know how bad the Prince Kuhio was and whether it was worth the hassle of changing and rebooking or was all the snorkeling at Molokini basically the same?

Okay, I have my book right here (2nd edition, 2003). They still don't like Prince Kuhio.

Four Winds II is the best of the big boats. They take up to 130 people, but the catamaran nicely accommodates many without feeling crowded. Good mix of sun & shade. Their usual mooring spot at Molkini is the best of any of the boats, and they have the best food (really, isn't that what's all about?). Only bad thing is they don't go to a second snorkeling spot, but they spend more time at the crater.

Prince Kuhio is listed under other snorkel trips from Ma'alaea. "92-foot, 149-passenger cattle boat...their mooring spot is perhaps the worst of any of the boats" near the center/left where winds may deposit any fine floating debris and sometimes cloudy water.

I say change to Four Winds - you will probably be happier! Let me know how it is, since you'll be there before me.

I was originally booked on the Pride of Maui AM Molokini snorkel, but decided to look further into that choice after reading a very negative review of that charter on a previous CC post. To evaluate our options further, we picked up the most recent "Maui Revealed" last week at Barnes & Noble.

In this book the Prince Kuhio is described as follows "Their mooring spot is perhaps the worst of any boats, right near the potentially junky area". Prince Kuhio is also one of the cruise line's primary choices, and probobly why many cruisers that take the ship's excursion to Molokini don't think much of it.

The book also describes Pide of Maui as follows "has a very crowded feel with 140 people packed on board: the quintessential cattle boat. Even with smaller crowds it feels like a lifeboat on the Titanic. Uncomfortable, backless benches on top with no shade.". However, they do say it does have a good parking spot on Molokini.

This book describes the Four Winds II as "Probobly the best of the big boats", and they mention that their normal mooring spot is probobly the best in the crater, has a good layout so it doesn't feel crowded, and their food setup is the best. They do not recommend their other boat, called Maui Magic at all.

Needless to say, we cancelled Pride of Maui and booked Four Winds II. Since our cruise has an over-night in Maui, we'll be able to take the AM tour on the last full day of our cruise prior to port departure (weather permitting).

Whatever you decide, it can't be all bad!! I'll take the Hawaiian waters over Lake Michigan any day!

Hi Snowbird1,

In my case, I'm on the NCL Pide of Aloha (for better or for worse:eek: ), so I'd have to drive for a Molokini AM snorkel no matter what.

I quote the "Maui Revealed": "Lahaina Princess (667-6165) is a 65-foot, single-hull boat that does morning trips to Molokini from Lahaina for $74. It's twice as far as a trip from Ma'alaea and their second stop is near Olowalu. Going to Molokini from Lahaina in this type of boat isn't a great way to go. Plus it really rocks when moored. Consider driving to Ma'alaea for your Molokini trips".

Just passing on the review....

You seem to really have the scoop on all the boats involved on the Molokini tours. We opted for a small boat of 32 paxs, close to the crater with Maui Dive Shop. The boat name is "Kai Anela", what can you tell us about this trip and ship? Good and bad??

Ernlyn,

From Maui Revealed regarding Maui Dive Shop:

"If you just want to take a quick snorkel trip out to Molokini and don't want all the frills, Maui Dive Shop takes their 33-foot, single-hull boat from Kihei Boat Ramp to Molokini (only 4 miles) then "turtle town" for a 3-hour tour. (Just like Gilligan's Island.) Up to 24 people (which makes it crowded), continental breakfast and juices and sodas. No frills, but for $44 you ain't paying for frills."

Hi Erlyn,

The "Maui Revealed" book doesn't say anything about that boat, and I don't recall seeing any CC or internet reviews about it. I think it's also important for me to say that I'm only passing on information from other sources, and am not speaking from experience, since I've never been to Molokini.

I do know that I've seen an awful lot of reviews/posts that give extremely high regards the the "Revealed" books for the Big Island, Maui, and Kaui. I bought all three from Barnes & Noble (about $15 each), and they are a wealth of information. They also have one for Oahu, but I know that island pretty well from having lived there, so I didn't buy it.

Just found out that I, unfortunately, can only go on the Prince Kuhio or the Wailea Kai are the only vessels willing to pick up from where the Pride of Aloha docks in Kahului Harbor. I tried researching parking near Kahului Harbor but have been told there isn't really a place to park and that cars are broken in to frequently there. Don't want to get into the hassle of dealing with rental car break-in issues. In any case, I guess it can't be that bad... A good day snorkeling in Hawai'i is better than the beaches in New York any day! :)

Hi agold1176,

We're on POA as well:eek: , but we self-booked a Saturday AM tour out of Maalaea Harbor. Since we're there overnight on Friday, and don't have to be back on the ship until Saturday 5:30PM, we're planning on taking a taxi from Kahului to Maalaea and back.

Cab companies we've contacted said it's about a 15-20 minute drive to the harbor from the ship that time of day on a weekend, and for the return, we shouldn't have a problem catching a taxi back. It was suggested that we call them on Friday and pre-arrange a pick up for the early AM drive from the ship to Maalaea.

Maalaea Harbor is right next to the Maui Oean Center, another popular tourist spot, so getting a taxi back shouldn't be a problem (we're just going to make sure we take a local cab company listing with us, in case we need to call.)

What ever you decide, have fun!

Hi agold1176,

We were told cab fare would be around $25-$35, depending on traffic, each way. The cabs are metered.

We booked direct with Four Winds II, and received an internet price of $67.15 for the AM snorkel. So, total cost with cab fair figured in would be somewhere between $185-$205 combined for my wife and I.

The cruise line provides transportation, and charges $87.00 each. For two people, it would have been $174.00. HOWEVER, the ship's tour is an afternoon tour, and we found out that most of the time the boats leaving in the PM can't make it to Molokini because of surf conditions. In those cases, alternate spots are selected "at the discretion of the Captian", and past reviews tell me those spots aren't normally very good.

After considering the boat reviews, mooring spots, AM vs PM tour, we just thought it was worth a few extra dollars to do the Four Winds II, especially since we don't know when we'll have a chance to do this again.

But like I've said before, it's only our humble opinion. I'm sure others have had great times on other boats, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your ship no matter which one you choose.

Have fun!

Ernlyn: DH and I took the late morning trip through Maui Dive Shop. They have more than one boat and I can't remember which one we were on. We left from Kihei, which is a shorter ride than from Ma'alaea. They go kind of "between" the other, larger boats so it was not at all crowded. If it's clear and calm enough they stop first at one of the "turtle towns" for a short snorkel. The boat holds only about 24 people and is, as has been stated, no frills. We had snacks and drinks (non-alcohol). The boat is sound and comfortable enough. The crew was excellent. The gear that comes with the trip is very good quality, but I use the same caveat I would use with any one-time rental gear: It may or may not be as clean as it should be or as you would like it. Just food for thought, so to speak.

We had a great time. The water was clear and there were tons of fish, etc. It was March and on the way back a family of whales gave us a show for about 45 minutes. The crew stopped the boat and radioed in that we would be a little late so that we could enjoy the whales.

One last thing, getting in and out of Kihei can be a little rough depending on the tide and weather. It was a bit of a "ride," but nothing frightening.

If you do not care about being on a "party/drinking" boat, you should really enjoy the Maui Dive Shop trip. For us the cost savings was well worth giving up the "frills" and the crowds.

beachchick

Archived