Can you contact the ship's dive dept.?

nrh322

I just posted a longer thread about this in the RCCL section, but I figured as a bunch of divers/snorkelers, y'all might have a better idea. I'm trying to get in touch with the actual dive shop people on our ship (Liberty of the Seas) prior to sailing. I'm considering having my kids do a referral and I want to check out the instructor's skill level before I hand over my boys. I'm not having any luck getting any information out of the shore excursion desk. I know they have net access on the ship, so it doesn't seem like it would be a huge deal to exchange an email or two. Has anyone ever tried this? Had any success? How? If not, do you have a better idea?

I was also trying to find out if the kids could come along with us on the boat as snorkelers while we were diving (ship excursion) and they won't answer that either. This is driving me crazy... I'm a planner and like to know what I'm going do before I get there. I sure don't want to pack a ton of gear if we're going to end up not using it!

I would think if you had questions about the actual diving and instructor, you would need to find out what dive shop the ship uses for these excursions and contact them. Maybe you could post asking if anyone has dove thru the ship at the stops you will be at and if so, what dive shop they used? From my past experience, the excursion desk people are pretty clueless. :rolleyes: Or just do your own research and find a shop on your own, not necessary to book thru the ship. Where are your stops?

And just a general fyi - usually snorkelers and divers on a boat don't mix. Unless you are going somewhere where the reefs are fairly shallow and the divers will be happy too, its usually too deep for any good snorkeling. This has happened to me, and my experience has been that the shop caters to the divers and they will tell you yes, you can snorkel, and charge you for the ride, but their idea of good snorkeling and mine are entirely different. I don't want to be snorkeling in 40-50 feet of water.

I would think if you had questions about the actual diving and instructor, you would need to find out what dive shop the ship uses for these excursions and contact them. Maybe you could post asking if anyone has dove thru the ship at the stops you will be at and if so, what dive shop they used? From my past experience, the excursion desk people are pretty clueless. :rolleyes: Or just do your own research and find a shop on your own, not necessary to book thru the ship. Where are your stops?

And just a general fyi - usually snorkelers and divers on a boat don't mix. Unless you are going somewhere where the reefs are fairly shallow and the divers will be happy too, its usually too deep for any good snorkeling. This has happened to me, and my experience has been that the shop caters to the divers and they will tell you yes, you can snorkel, and charge you for the ride, but their idea of good snorkeling and mine are entirely different. I don't want to be snorkeling in 40-50 feet of water.

Hey Tigger... Thanks for your response. The reason I'm trying to get in touch with the actual instructor on the ship is that I'm considering booking my kids into the ship's PADI BOW. Since they do the classroom and pools on board, I'm assuming they must have an instructor or two on the ship. I'm a retired PADI instructor myself, so I want to quiz them a bit before I hand my kids over to them. There are a lot of instructors out there, particularly at resorts, that aren't worth their weight in salt. The PADI system can bust someone through from basic open water to instructor level in a matter of months. There are "instructors" out there that only have a few dozen dives under their belts. Would you want them to teach your kids how to dive? Would you want them to teach anyone how to dive for that matter? Scary stuff! :eek:

I would love nothing more than to book with an independent. I've spent a lot of time running trips to these places. I know the good ops. The problem is (as I've mentioned in a couple other threads) the kids have no passports. Bio-dad is a pain in our collective heinie. I've been on too many late dive boats to risk it, so if we're going to attempt a dive, it's the ship or nada.

My kids are really strong snorkelers/free divers. My DH is a new diver. If we were to find an excursion that took us to some of the shallower dive sites (anything less than 50 ft.), they'd have a fine time snorkeling and DH could get a dive in, I could keep an eye on everyone, and all would be well with the world. And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. Sigh.

The reason I'm trying to get in touch with the actual instructor on the ship is that I'm considering booking my kids into the ship's PADI BOW. Since they do the classroom and pools on board, I'm assuming they must have an instructor or two on the ship.

Ah, that makes more sense now. It would be frustrating not being able to contact the right person - because in this case you know they must have the dive instructor on board. Thought it was just for the usual dive trip, not classes on board. You have a better advantage than the usual cruiser in that you're a former instructor and will be able to ask the right questions - I agree that some dive masters need their credentials revoked - especially the ones that mess with the underwater creatures. Don't get me started. :D Good luck on finding anything out.

Archived