Wanting tips for cruising with kids of all ages

rere30

We are a family of 8 going on a 3 day on the wonder in sept.(mom,dad,4 kids 15,12,twins 3,and grandmas) IS there anything we can do to make are trip easy and enjoyable any tips would be great !

Send off for the free DVD from DCL. You will love watching it and it will give you lots of great ideas about what to expect. Just go to DCL's official web site to order.

There is also a book called the apassporter that is full of tips and ideas for the cruise for all ages. I dont know how much i costs but you can find it at www.passporter.com

Also check out the roll call area for disney and look for you cruise date, if you find it post there and you will meet others on your cruise. Teens can post and meet other teens which often helps them since teens find it harder to make friends sometimes. Plus you will get to know others too.

If you dont see your date, start a thread yourself for your cruise and others can find you.

Plus with family we have found everyone has a better time if allowed to go their own way all day and meet at dinner to discuss what we did all day. Often we did shows together but basically if someone wanted to do something they went and did it, if someone else wanted to join them that was fine but not necessary.

excursions are the same thing, of course kids went with family unless it was a teen only excursion through DCL. If grandparents are older you may want to have another adult with them in case they have a problem.

If you all try to do everything together someone will always be unhappy.

Another things is you cant do it all and if you try you will be miserable!! Pick and choose.

read your Navigator carefully each evening to plan the next days events

we kept a note pad hooked on the fish outside the door for kids to keep us posted if they decided to go somewhere different than what was planned. Plus it let the kids know where we were at all times!!!

Biggest rule we had with grandkids was DO NOT go into anybodys room no matter how good a friend they are.

I have some tips for things on board but out of time right now. I will try to get back to you soon unless someone else posts them before I can return.

Your going to have a MAGICAL time!!!!

mom x4,grandma x4

My only advice would be to talk openly with your DH and the grandmas about what everyone's expectations are. Some grandmas want to take the kids for long periods, others don't. The kids club will be available to occupy them, but it will avoid any misunderstandings during the trip to discuss it before you go.

Also, lower your expectations. Sometimes we gush about the DCL experience and you think it is going to be super-wonderful-amazing 24/7! Then you feel like your trip is a disaster because your child didn't want to do (fill in the activity here). Your children will not be perfect all the time, and thankfully, those will not be the memories you will keep from the vacation. Keep everyone rested, hydrated and fed and let the magical moments happen.

CC boards can offer many tips and suggestions, so when you have a question, you've come to the right place!

Happy Sails!

Archived