9 day dinner menu on Grandeur?

Just got off Grandeur today from 9 day Eastern Carib. Trust me....I'm about the pickiest eater out there. Forget about seafood or fancy meals for me. I did find something every night. They always have soup or fresh fruit for appetizer and then steak or standard "protein" for dinner, i.e. turkey, chicken, roast beef, etc. Most nights they had pasta. If all else fails, they have the alternatives menu with general, plain, down-to-earth foods.

Don't worry, you will find something. You can always check the menu posted outside the dining room. If nothing trips your fancy, you can always head to the Windjammer. :)

fflady

We always have a fun time. Which itinerary will you be doing? I think Grandeur is doing Eastern Carib, Bermuda, and New England/Canada. No matter which one you will be doing, you will have a good time.

We got down there at 7:20am and it was already in port. It had an arrival time of 7:30pm. it was just nice to see it. We may go down this afternoon to watch it leave. We won't go to the port we might go near the Francis Scott Key bridge to see it go under the bridge.:)

Is the area at the pier safe??? I will be going down by myself. I did it in Seattle and really enjoyed watching the ship come in. Probably head down around 6:30 so not to miss it. :D

Anybody know if Baltimore port has a webcam?? We are sailing out of Baltimore in September and would love to see the ship in port.

We started pulling into the port of baltimore between 6:30 and 7:00 a.m. The port is in a safe area. The parking area is fence enclosed but open when a ship is in port. As far as I know, there is no webcam.

The eastern carib is a nice trip. However, I wasn't pleased with Samana, Dominican Republic at all. The port authority would not let the captain drop anchor very close to shore. We had a 1/2 hour tender ride from where the captain had to anchor. Most of the tours left late due to the tender delay. Many were getting upset with the delay in getting off the ship. If you just get off to go shopping, be prepared. Locals swarm you. We only made it about 1/2 way into town by walking. Neither DS or I felt safe so we turned around and headed back to the tender. I think those on tour made out much better. The beach tours were picked up at the ship on smaller boats. Therefore, they avoided the locals. I didn't hear about too many people enjoying the port, but I'm sure some did enjoy it. It will probably be better in about 10 years, after they start getting some money from the cruise ships. But for now, it's not the best. My opinion only.

For those interested, it is especially interesting to be on the top deck forward when the ship enters/leaves the chesapeake bay. I love going over the bay bridge tunnel. The lights at night are beautiful. I was only able to stay awake on the way home to see this. I believe we entered the chesapeake around 11:00 p.m. On day one, entering the atlantic, it happens around 12:00 a.m. or 1:00 a.m., depending on when the ship leaves (we left at 4:00).

Also, we were at the dock at 11:30 a.m. for embarkation and got right on the ship with no delay. We were eating lunch in the Windjammer by 12:00.

Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments, I'm on the 6/15/07 Eastern Carib sailing. You mentioned the long ride to Samana for just wandering around, do you know how long the tender to the beaches was from where you were allowed to anchor? I'm wondering if we should just stay on the boat in DR...

They usually have the daily menu posted outside the dining room. You could always check to see what your options are and if you don't find anything to your liking you could eat elsewhere.

There were a few times I picked the "lesser of two evils" on the menu. When my starter came I asked to have more of that than what I originally ordered. ie beef/veal ravioli type thing that came as a starter. I also liked the scallop rossoto that came as a starter and wanted it as my entree.

I would be surprised if you couldn't find something you liked.

Sorry I don't know about the menus. I haven't seen a 9 day one posted.

LV2Cook,

You are a true cruiser! I wish I could get up and be there that early. I can't wait until we get on the boat. Denamo and I have been searching for reviews.

19 more days to go!

Rabbitlady:)

Archived