Sail & Sign Cards for Kids...Plus Tipping Question

I bet you dress in your prom dress on formal night......

everybody comes from different places and has different styles they say resort casual. Living in florida my entire life, resort casual is not wearing a work suit to dinner. Anyways jeans are allowed in the dinning room my kids dress shorts are nicer and more comfortable. My 8 year old has been on 13 cruises depending on the cruise line is how we dress. carnival is the most casual of all! remember it's vacation for everyone including the kids and we should all be comfortable. (we have never been asked to leave a dinning room because of how we were dressed) Enjoy your cruise and be comfortable!:o

I've lived in Florida all my life, too, but I'm not sure what the point is. No one is saying you have to wear a work suit to dinner on casual nights, but Carnival is asking you to dress up a bit on formal nights. Yes, my husband and sons wear a suit on formal nights and I wear a gown or cocktail dress (no, it's not a "prom dress"), but on casual nights we wear resort casual -- not shorts. It's your opinion that kids' "dress" shorts are fine, but Carnival specifically asks that they not be worn to dinner. I personally don't care if you all wear shorts and get away with it, but lots of new cruisers read this message board and rely on it for good information. It would be a shame if someone read your post, figured they'd let their kids wear shorts in the dining room, decided to pack accordingly and then they WERE asked to change before entering the dining room for dinner.

I bet you dress in your prom dress on formal night......

everybody comes from different places and has different styles they say resort casual. Living in florida my entire life, resort casual is not wearing a work suit to dinner. Anyways jeans are allowed in the dinning room my kids dress shorts are nicer and more comfortable. My 8 year old has been on 13 cruises depending on the cruise line is how we dress. carnival is the most casual of all! remember it's vacation for everyone including the kids and we should all be comfortable. (we have never been asked to leave a dinning room because of how we were dressed) Enjoy your cruise and be comfortable!:o

I'm waaaaay too old for a prom dress! :D And no matter how nice the dress shorts, they are still shorts and all guests are asked not to wear them to the dining room at night, including kids.

It would be a shame if someone read your post, figured they'd let their kids wear shorts in the dining room, decided to pack accordingly and then they WERE asked to change before entering the dining room for dinner.

Has it ever happened on a CCL cruise when it comes to kids? (for jeans or shorts)

Has it ever happened on a CCL cruise when it comes to kids? (for jeans or shorts)

Carnival allows jeans in the dinning room. As for kids under 10 years old, dress shorts are fine! girls wear mini skirts in this heat, so why can't the boys be comfortable too...

Just to clarify, formal night on all cruise lines used to mean long fancy dresses. Celebrity, Princess, queen mary, and other upper cruise lines still would like you to dress. (I don't know about rccl) but carnival and NCL it is much more casual today! yes, some people still dress way up & yes i've seen 40 year old women trying to fit back into their old prom dresses, because they were told they had to dress formal. On carnival for women a nice black dress is fine. and the men with a long sleve dress shirt. No Jacket Required! You are talking summer in the heat. Even if they do bring it, there is no way they can wear it for long so why bother.

that is how i would advise first time cruisers to dress.

sorry i forgot to say, my boys have worn polo & quick silver shorts (nice dress shorts) with a polo shirt (collar) and have never been asked to leave a dinning room. (casual nights) (8 year old has been on 12 cruises)

sorry i forgot to say, my boys have worn polo & quick silver shorts (nice dress shorts) with a polo shirt (collar) and have never been asked to leave a dinning room. (casual nights) (8 year old has been on 12 cruises)

:rolleyes: That's great, and I'm sure he looked cute. However, the dress code specifically states that shorts are not allowed in the dining room. How you dress is up to you, and yeah, some Maitre Ds are more lenient, but you are not dressing to code. Do I care? Not really, but as stated by another poster, people come on here looking for information, and it would be a shame if their kids were dressed in shorts and were asked to change.

Carnival allows jeans in the dinning room. As for kids under 10 years old, dress shorts are fine! girls wear mini skirts in this heat, so why can't the boys be comfortable too...

Just to clarify, formal night on all cruise lines used to mean long fancy dresses. Celebrity, Princess, queen mary, and other upper cruise lines still would like you to dress. (I don't know about rccl) but carnival and NCL it is much more casual today! yes, some people still dress way up & yes i've seen 40 year old women trying to fit back into their old prom dresses, because they were told they had to dress formal. On carnival for women a nice black dress is fine. and the men with a long sleve dress shirt. No Jacket Required! You are talking summer in the heat. Even if they do bring it, there is no way they can wear it for long so why bother.

that is how i would advise first time cruisers to dress.

You talk like there is no A/C on the ship. It's like 65 degrees on the ship and most evenings the women are wearing sweaters or something heavy to keep warm.

I hope nobody takes your word as gospel. You want to break the rules go ahead. Afterall it's your vacation and you paid for it.:rolleyes:

Bill

Yes, Carnival is less formal than many cruiselines, but I have found that the majority do dress formally in the diNing room on formal night. That doesn't mean "prom dresses". I happen to love wearing floor length dresses to formal night ~ I have a black one and a sparkly teal one and they are both very nice and age appropriate (yes, I am in my 40's). Other women wear cocktail dresses or dressy pants outfits. Most men do wear suits or sport jacket.

I frankly don't care what anybody wears to the diNing room on formal night or otherwise. But it isn't fair to first time cruisers to "advise" them not to dress up for formal night.

The price you paid for the shorts doesn't matter. The request is STILL no shorts on adults or children in the dining room.

Back to the tipping question. We are traveling with my sister and her family and my parents, we are all planning on bringing an extra supply of ones and fives so we can tip along the way. This does not mean I won't be tipping the normal amount, this was just for extras. My parents are very generous tippers and taught us well. You want good service or better service throw some extra money around.

I wonder if the op posted this just to see people get mad. If you have read this board for a day, you should know not to say you think you shouldn't tip. Don't understand why in the world you wouldn't tip for kids, they are more messy than adults. I agree with the flamers this time.

I wonder if the op posted this just to see people get mad. If you have read this board for a day, you should know not to say you think you shouldn't tip. Don't understand why in the world you wouldn't tip for kids, they are more messy than adults. I agree with the flamers this time.

I wonder if its steveaaaa??:eek:

uh hum...they're in a service industry...hello? not the same as the guy delivering my frig, which i paid a delivery charge for, lookin' for a tip. he is not getting a waitstaff wage where tips good or bad comprise the bulk of his income.

service industry...service industry.... just keep sayin' that to yourself, LOL.

Do we not pay for our cruise??? Do we not expect service to be included in this?? they should just include tips in price of cruise and be done with it and say tipping is not required!!

We also don't mind tipping extra. We have a 10 year old and I think everywhere we were on the ship, the crew went out of their way to be helpful. They were just caring for the kids. He got cookies on his pillow and they helped him with a towel animal, the list goes on. So we always give extra - they work their ___ off while we are chillin'

We do tell the check in clerk to not give him the ability to charge on his sail and sign card. He only uses for getting in and out of the cabin and off the ship. Also you should consider drink cards for the kids. It is really nice that they can walk up to a bar and get a coke whether with you or Camp Carnival.

Archived