Can't make minds up what to do in W. Carribean

l2f

My better half and I are due to set sail 6/16 on Carnival Glory. Stops in Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and Nassau. 3 months ago we thought for sure we knew what we wanted to do in at least some of these ports.

We already booked the Royal Swim in Cozumel. We have other ideas but not sure what port is best to due these ideas. So we come to this forum to get suggestions.

Although we haven't been to the Carribean before, cruise ship or private excursion. It doesn't matter

1. Would like to do a snorkeling or perhaps snuba. Where would be the best port to do this. Belize, Costa Maya, or Nassau. Been looking at Belize - Shark Ray/Caye Caulker and two from Carnival - Turneffe or Goff's Caye. Shark Ray specifically states sharks, rays, fish, etc may been seen. The Carnival trips really doesn't say what you could expect to see.

2. May consider cave tubing. Seems Belize is the place for this also. Looked at ***** Adventures with Major Tom.

3. In Nassau considered just hanging out. Perhaps a day pass to Hilton.

4. In Costa Maya, may do Pez Quadro, massage, hang out thing.

5. Anything else we should consider

I would suggest:

Costa Maya- Hang out on the beach in Majahaul. Take a taxi from the port area, $5 rt. We went to Pez Quadro and had a relaxing day on the beach. We rented loungers for $5 and sipped Coronas/Dos Equis. We shopped in the port area before returning to the ship. We had some friends on the cruise that did the ruins tour and liked it.

Nassau- We took a water taxi (be sure the water taxi looks sea worthy) to Atlantis and looked around. I believe the beaches are all public in the Bahamas and you can enter and actually walk along any of the resort beaches. I read this on CC.

Belize- We hung out in the port area which is big and secured. There is ample shopping, entertainment and restaurants/bars. On our first trip to Belize we ventured out of the secured area to look around the shopping area outside of the fence. We didnt see any great buys that inspired us to leave the port area on our second trip. Be prepared to be totally harrased when outside of the port area. Some of the other people in our group did Cave Tubing with Yhonny. They loved it. Another couple did Cay Caulker and said they had a great day there.

Cozumel- We shopped in Coz on our last trip. The first time we were in Cozumel we went to the Tulum Ruins. The ruins were interesting but be prepared for a very hot day. If you have children and/or teens in your group they will most likely be bored silly at the ruins. Some others in our group didn the Atlantis sub and others snorkeled a Cenote.

Hola 12f,

Lots to do in Cozumel. We usually take a taxi to a beach and snorkel. We've done Playa Palancar, Paradise Beach, Chankanaab Park and Dzul ha. Each was fun and would recommend any of them depending on what type of beach you want. For a fun place with water toys, Paradise gets the nod. For a mixture of things to see and do go to Chank..If you want to see alot of fish and go cheap, take a taxi to Dzul ha. Palancar is for R&R away from the crowds. Then there is the wild side with Coconuts and some great siteseeing. Coz has too many things.:o

Belize is cavetubing. This is a hoot! Bannister Island is nice if you want to snorkel and veg.

Costa Maya is not one of my favorite ports but I like Chac chi next to the pier. You need to email the owner so he can staff the bar and diner. Maya Palms will be our next stop, but you need to have reservations there, too. I haven't done Pez but I've seen a bunch of reviews.

Bahamas we haven't done. YET!

In Belize we went to Caye Caulker via the water taxi and took a snorkeling tour with Star Tours. Great, great company with an awesome guide!!! They are very professional and want nothing more than to make sure you have a great, very personalized snorkeling experience. Very small groups, no more than 12 (we only had three others with us). DO NOT stay in Belize City!! You won't get a taste of what Belize is really like. Belize City is pretty run down and dirty. Venture out and see the beauty of the place. Next time we would do the Turneffe excursion through the ship because it picks you up right at the ship and I heard Turneffe is beautiful for snorkeling. I think this way you wouldn't feel as rushed like we did.

In Costa Maya we went to Maya Palms resort. We went there for the snorkeling just 400 yards off the beach which they take you to on their boat. UNFORTUNATELY, it was too windy the day were were there and we couldn't go snorkeling. I read about how great it was though, so we were so sad to miss it. Oh well. We just spent the day lounging around the pool and walking on the beach, and took advantage of their "all you can drink" for $10 a person. We also had a very good mexican lunch there.

Have fun.

Belize--Coral Breezes check out their excursions, we booked the snorkeling.,

Cozumel--through Cozumel insider we booked the dune buggy excursion.

Costa Maya--we are going to take a taxi to Mahajual spend the day at the beach. Check out the Cats Meow, Pez Quardo, or a place El Faro

Nassau--check out the town, shops, perhaps do more snorkeling

These are our plans in July.

Hope it all goes well for us and you on your trip.

Archived