Ports:boarding

The only time I've had to wait more than a minute or two was the tendered stop at Labadee - the boat can only take so many people at a time! All my other ports have been docked, and I came back well before the deadline, so I didn't have to wait much.

When you come back on board, you have to scan your SeaPass card, and they x-ray your carryons. When a lot of people come back at the same time, the x-ray station can become a bottleneck - as can the "liquor checking" station, where you are required to turn in the liquor bottles you buy in port (they tag them and deliver them to your cabin on the last night).

It is all very relative. It didn't take too long. We got back on immediately at St. Martin. We returned about an hour before departure. At St. Thomas, we had about a 10 minute wait. We returned at 12:45. We left again and aboutthe same amount of time on the second return.

If you dock at the port, you just walk back to the ship. You will have to go through security/X rays and turn in any liquor you purchased in port (you get it back the last night of the cruise). Most ships require you to be back on the ship 30 minutes prior to sailing. You most likely will have to wait in line the closer to sail away you board.

If the ship tenders, (you get off the ship onto a smaller boat which takes you to the port {Grand Cayman, cruiseline owned private islands}) the lines for the tender can be long if it is close to sail away. I recommend getting in line for the tenders no less than 1 hour to sail away. Once you are back to the ship, you will have to go through security as described above.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Archived