Grand Cayman beaches???

Michael M.

Ok I have read a bunch about the beaches but I am still a little confused.

Here is what we want to do:

Go to the beach so the kids can swim

Maybe snorkel a little but stay mostly at the beach

Hit maybe a couple of shops on the way back to the ship.

I get confused on the seagrape, 7 mile and so on.

We don't want to travel far and just want to have a nice day at the beach.

Thanks

Michael

Ok I have read a bunch about the beaches but I am still a little confused.

Here is what we want to do:

Go to the beach so the kids can swim

Maybe snorkel a little but stay mostly at the beach

Hit maybe a couple of shops on the way back to the ship.

I get confused on the seagrape, 7 mile and so on.

We don't want to travel far and just want to have a nice day at the beach.

Thanks

Michael

Seven mile beach is a MUST. Went there last yr and you can get a taxi right across the road from the port. It is by far the most beautiful beach I have been to and very shallow off the beach. You will not be disappointed.

Seagrape Beach is part of Seven Mile Beach. It is an inexpensive 10-minute taxi ride from the tender dock. Seagrape is near the middle of 7MB, and they have restrooms, food, chairs and umbrellas for rent, as well as sailboats, jetskis, snorkel gear, etc. There is good snorkeling on the right side. There are always lots of taxis waiting to carry people back to George Town for shopping and tenders.

Thanks a bunch.

So I guess we will ask to go to one or the other they seem to be in the same vicinity.

If we don't go to Seagrape:

Is there a certain place on Seven mile beach that anyone recommends?????

I was also confused about the beaches in Grand Cayman before I went there for the first time this May. Once there I learned that you want to take a taxi from the tender area to get to any beach. We took a taxi ($5 U.S. cash a person one way was the standard rate) to Public Beach which is part of Seven Mile Beach and right next to SeaGrape Beach (Public Beach and SeaGrape Beach are pretty much the same thing, both part of 7 Mile Beach). There are rest rooms there, a restaurant/bar (we ate at the restaurant which has picnic tables on the beach and had some yummy chicken fingers with our toes in the beautiful white sand, it was fabulous!), places to rent jet skis, floats, kayaks, snorkeling gear and to go parasailing. It pretty much has everything you need. Just bring your beach towel, some sun screen, some cash (maybe even your own blow up float) and you'll be in heaven! The sand is perfect, the water is a gorgeous clear blue, and it is now one of my favorite places on earth (I wish I was there right now)! Also, taxis line up at Public Beach so it is easy to get back to the tender area which is also where the big shops and restaurants are. Margaritaville seemed to be a popular destination with the people on our boat - people raved about the slide they had there, but said the drinks were very pricey (as expected).

Lastly, all the cruise ships tender in to Grand Cayman, and while some people complain about this, I really didn't find it to be a big deal at all and it was well worth it to get to such a beautiful place! The tender line was long when we went to get back on the boat but it moved smoothly and quickly and the overall process didn't take very long.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Thanks for the replies.

Since yesterday, I have talked to Courtyard and a email from the Hyatt about beach access and passes.

Courtyard Marriott: $5 for chair, $5 for umbrella in return you receive $10 in coke and water.

Hyatt: $25 for adults, $15 for kids it includes use of chairs, pool, towels for the day.

Looks like the Courtyard is down by public beach and Hyatt is closer to Georgetown.

Someone that has been might be able to explain locations better.

Thanks for all the help!!!

I was at Royal Palms last week. It is a beautiful stretch of beach. We got there early and got chairs & an umbrella right at the beach line. They charged us $20, $5 a chair, $10 for the umbrella. Within an hour, it was pretty crowded. There were 4 ships total in port that day. Lunch was expensive, paid about $30US for a grilled chicken salad, a diet coke, and a beer. Food was good, though.

Also I would recommend finding a private cab. When we got off the ship asking for a ride to the Royal Palms, they herded us to the right and into a van that held about 15-20 people, and then we waited for them to fill the up the van -- at least 20 minutes. They even put people in the fold down seats in the isle! Same thing happened going back to the port. It was so hot that day, like 95 degrees, I would have gladly paid more for a private cab had I known.

Have fun!

Karen

Archived