Vancouver and/or Victoria in 2 days

Hello. This August my husband, 15-year old daughter and I arrive in Vancouver at 10 a.m. on a Friday and then depart on a Sunday sailing. By the time we're at the hotel/checked in, it'll be noon so we have that day and then Saturday to see the sights. We're pretty mellow tourists so we'd planned to meander around Vancouver and skip Victoria, but a friend has been raving about Victoria.

We probably would skip Stanley Park and Butchart Gardens which I know is sort of sacriligous, but I think our 15-year old will open a vein if we spend that much time w/flora and fauna. I think both cities will be gorgeous with lots to see. Do you think we should stick with Vancouver or try to do Victoria as a day trip? We'll have lots of luggage so we'd want to sleep in Vancoucer both nights rather than rush from Victoria to the ship. Many thanks.

We probably would skip Stanley Park and Butchart Gardens which I know is sort of sacriligous, but I think our 15-year old will open a vein if we spend that much time w/flora and fauna. I think both cities will be gorgeous with lots to see. Do you think we should stick with Vancouver or try to do Victoria as a day trip? We'll have lots of luggage so we'd want to sleep in Vancoucer both nights rather than rush from Victoria to the ship. Many thanks.

As a Vancouverite, I offer a warm future welcome to my beloved city.

For starters, don't worry about skipping Stanley Park. It is indeed the crowning jewel to a city that loves its greenspace, but it's not a must-see. It's just a really beautiful park that faces the Burrard Inlet with spectacular views. Some say it's a work of art, but your mileage may vary.

Victoria could be problematic given your timeframe. There are two ways to get to Victoria from downtown Vancouver: by air or by car/ferry. By air you can take the Helijet or the floatplane service, but neither is cheap, around $100-$150 per person each way. Travel time is less than an hour and the terminal is right down at the waterfront close to where you are.

Your other choice is to take the ferry. You'd have to make your way down to the Tsawassen Ferry Terminal which is a 45-60 minute ride depending on traffic. You have to navigate two bridges and a tunnel. You'll need to arrive at the terminal at least 30 minutes prior to a sailing, and the sailing takes about 90 or so minutes. Add to that a 30 minute drive from the Swartz Bay ferry terminal to Victoria itself, and you've eaten up at least 4 hours of your day just getting there. By the way, If you don't have a rental car I'm sure there are luxury coaches that take you all the way.

Victoria really is a neat city; smaller than Vancouver and it's British Columbia's capital so you'll see the seat of the Provincial government there at the Legislature, and there's lots to do (the Orca whale watching tours are my favourite). The drawback is the expense/time to get there and back from downtown Vancouver.

Hope that helps some.

Hello Illiad -

You mentioned the floatplane service between Vancouver and Victoria. Is there more than one operator? Do you have a recommendation?

Thank you! :)

Hi Susan,

There are a few operators, although the only ones I can remember off the cuff are Harbour Air (harbourair.com) and West Coast Air (westcoastair.com). There's also the Helijet helicopter service (helijet.com).

All of these operate with terminals in (amongst other places) downtown Vancouver; the floatplane services run about $120 per person one-way. Helijet can range from as little as $75 (if you care to gamble with a stand-by) to $199 per person one-way.

I've taken Harbour Air for recreation and really enjoyed the flight. It was a sunny, clear day and as we flew over the Gulf (between the mainland and Vancouver Island) we spotted a pod of Orcas below us! I flew Helijet a few times for business and other than being a prompt helicopter service was unremarkable.

Given the choice I'd take the floatplane any day. It's just a more fun ride, particularly on a day with beautiful weather.

Hello Illiad -

You mentioned the floatplane service between Vancouver and Victoria. Is there more than one operator? Do you have a recommendation?

Hi Susan,

There are a few operators, although the only ones I can remember off the cuff are Harbour Air (harbourair.com) and West Coast Air (westcoastair.com). There's also the Helijet helicopter service (helijet.com).

All of these operate with terminals in (amongst other places) downtown Vancouver; the floatplane services run about $120 per person one-way. Helijet can range from as little as $75 (if you care to gamble with a stand-by) to $199 per person one-way.

I've taken Harbour Air for recreation and really enjoyed the flight. It was a sunny, clear day and as we flew over the Gulf (between the mainland and Vancouver Island) we spotted a pod of Orcas below us! I flew Helijet a few times for business and other than being a prompt helicopter service was unremarkable.

Given the choice I'd take the floatplane any day. It's just a more fun ride, particularly on a day with beautiful weather.

Hello Illiad -

Hi Susan,

Another option which can be your day trip is "PRince of Whales" harbour to harbour in a fast boat. Options are bus/fly back or return in boat. They will diviate for whales. Long time local firm in Victoria. Check their website. New option this spring from Vancouver.

http://www.princeofwhales.com/vancouver_tours.html

Also in August you may be surprised to find great beaches and weather just like the south. :) Hot bods etc for the 15 yr old......

as a parent of teenagers - I'd skip Victoria. I love the city...born & raised there, but my kids find it relatively dull.

in & around vancouver there is great shopping, great beaches, lots of opportunities for things like whale watching/kayaking, grouse mountain skyride and the capilano suspension bridge/treetops would likely also be fun for the kiddo too.

another thought...if it was me, I'd rent a car for the saturday & drive up to whistler for the day - very cool, breathtaking scenery, not much road construction on weekends (they're widening the roads in advance of the 2010 winter olympics) and there are tons of cool things to do once you're up there + it's a really cute village to walk/people-watch/shop/rent bikes in!

from downtown, the (very scenic ) drive is under 2 hours.... less time than it would take to get to victoria + more fun & no ferry fare.

have fun. I love our town.

I have to agree with Weathermom on this one.

Victoria is a wonderful city but I don't think a 15 year old would have much fun for a whole day. There is an old saying about Victoria...it's the city of the newly wed and the nearly dead! Not a resounding recommendation for a teenager.

On the other hand there are are some great places to see in Vancouver that even a teenager would like...and the trip to Whistler is a great suggestion. In addition there is a the gondola sky ride up Grouse Mountain where you can get a helicopter tour of the city and surrounding mountains...there is also a wild animal refuge on the mountain. Then there is the oldest tour attraction in the city...the Capilano Suspension Bridge...which is well worth the trip. Whale watching from Steveston...south of Vancouver....all kinds of things.

There is easily a day and half of fun in Vancouver that may not light up a 15 year old...but is unlikely to force her to "open a vein"....LOL!!

Good luck...and I hope you really have a good time in our city.

Tom&Deb:)

Thanks so much for the helpful responses. You guys are great. I can just see me going "no really, only 2 more hours and we're there." We'll take advantage of your collective recomendations except for the "hot bod" part - not for my baby! ;)

To digress, my family thinks I'm insane to spend so much time on CC, but what can I say? I'm hooked. My husband suggested that our daughter find a CC friend online and you should have seen the eye roll!:rolleyes: "Yeah, Dad, I'm sure there are alot of teenagers on a cruising website." LOL

Anyway, we can't wait for our cruise nor to see beautiful Vancouver - finally. I'm sure I'll be back for more wonderful advice and thank you.

I love your ideas of Stanley Park, Grouse Mt., Capilano Susp. Bridge, etc. We will be there in July, staying at Fairmont Vancouver Hotel, 1 1/2 days pre cruise. I am a bit overwhelmed re: transportation so in y'alls opinion do you recommend the buses that you can get off and on for an entire day ??? What would be the closest pick up area to where we are staying ??

I love your ideas of Stanley Park, Grouse Mt., Capilano Susp. Bridge, etc. We will be there in July, staying at Fairmont Vancouver Hotel, 1 1/2 days pre cruise. I am a bit overwhelmed re: transportation so in y'alls opinion do you recommend the buses that you can get off and on for an entire day ??? What would be the closest pick up area to where we are staying ??

If you mean the hop on/hop off Vancouver Trolley Company, the Vancouver Fairmont is about midway between two of its stops. You could either get on at the Hyatt Regency (Burrard & Melville) stop; or the Vancouver Art Gallery (Howe & Georgia) stop. They are stops #5 and #6, respectively, on the Vancouver Trolley site.

However, if you want to go to Grouse Mt and Capilano Suspension Bridge, you might want to try the seabus from Waterfront Station and transfer to public bus at Lonsdale Quay for an inexpensive and interesting trip to the northshore mountains.

There is an old saying about Victoria...it's the city of the newly wed and the nearly dead!

Funny! That's what they say about the island of Kauai as well!! :D

My husband and I did a 24-hour trip to Victoria this past week at the end of our cruise. We rented a car, drove over via ferry, stayed at the Empress (in a "cheap" room), and drove back the following afternoon to stay near the airport in Richmond. This cost of this 24-hour "excursion" was unbelievable! The cost of the car rental, ferry boat, and 1-night hotel alone was almost $800!!! :eek: I think it was worth it, but I would definitely reconsider such a side trip with a 15 year old in tow. Especially if you're wanting more of a "leisurely pace." :)

Just for downtown/granville island/Grouse use bus or taxi. actually you can walk to most places.

Out of that area (the downtown) I might consider a rental. For Stanley park that might be a good idea also and then you can expand a bit to the surrounding area's. Horseshow bay/Road to Whistler etc.

I would use public transit & taxi's for getting around Vancouver - parking is a hassel and $$$. Parking is an extra at our of our downtown hotels.

I would only rent a car if you wish to take a day trip to Whistler and I would rent the car for the day only.

For Stanley Park there is a tour around the park by Horse drawn wagon. For your short time here I would consider using the hop on hop off buses. Or just plain public buses - you can buy a full day pass for $8. for all zones - would be cheaper for a single zone.

Archived