Fishing - Juneau, Ketchican or ISP?

Booked

We're on the Infinity, leaving Vancouver on June 17th.

My husband's an avid fisherman and wants to do at least one fishing excursion.

Can anyone recommend excursions in Juneau, Ketchican or ICP?

Is one location better than the others?

Better to book ahead, or talk to someone at the pier?

Also has anyone done river fly fishing?

What about packing his own fishing rod and fishing from the pier - has anyone tried that?

Many thanks

Ketchikan is known for its fishing charters. We took a cruise ship charter out of there in late August 1989. (I caught a silver.) check out this web site - looks like Ketchikan could be just outside the peak coho (silver) season (which still means good fishing and the fish don't always have a calendar so they couldd be HOT when you're in town) http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Region1/weekly/ktn.cfm

which are a ball to catch!

Juneau's sport fishing report http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region1/weekly/jnu.cfm

note: "Chinook fishing will continue to improve as we head toward the traditional peak around the second half of June, and then will continue to be productive into early to mid-July as the hatchery Chinook salmon return to local waters around the region."

is ICP - Icy Point?

I've done extensive river fly fishing in South Central AK - Naknek Lake, Eggegik Lake, Margot Creek, Brooks Falls (Bristol Bay area). (This year I return to the Kenai Peninsula to fish for sockeye (red) salmon and kings plus big "bows.) This year will be my 3rd return to AK in 4 years (each year we fish a different salmon species). We have yet to take our own gear.

Your statement "What about packing his own fishing rod and fishing from the pier - has anyone tried that?" is an oxymoron with the statement "My husband's an avid fisherman..." Fishing from the pier won't give him that feel that he's "on the water." Part of the experience of fly fishing is being on the water, out in nature, one with nature. If you can at all swing it, get him out there on an excursion! Also, for salmon fishing we're probably talking about using a 9' 9 wt. rod - we own 4 and 6 wt. rods for NJ/PA fishing so we'd have to buy YET ANOTHER rod to use it in AK. (we used outfitters.)

How much time do you have in each port?

if you get any specifics regarding the choices the cruise line offers, I'd be glad to take a look at them. Back in 89 we took a 4 pax. charter, caught 3 fish amongst 4 of us during the entire excursion (that's fishing). Took us 14 years to return to AK to fish again - this time feet in the stream fishing and we've been back 3 out of 4 years because that experience was SO much better than being on a 33 ft. charter boat trolling! email me at

ON THE RIM AT HOTMAIL DOT COM if you'd like to view my photo albums of the past 2 fishing trips (2006 & 2004) or want any additional info.

Sara

Thanks for responding -

We're currently checking out independent's in Ketchikan, as well as Icy Straight Point for charters.

Having less luck finding fly fishing, but still looking.

We haven't been to the ports in Alaska, so maybe my question about taking his own rod wasn't appropriate -

But I'll stick to the avid fisherman description,

First time west coast - but previous vacations have been to salmon rivers in Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador.

Our house was bought because there's a trout fly fishing river bordering our property.

And while other husbands "belly up to the bar" in Mexico, mine's scrambling over the rocks and catching pan fish for the local kids to take home.

So I can definitely see him with rod in hand on a pier, while I check out galleries and shops - in fact, I bet he'll be wishing he had a rod hanging over the side of the ship, thoughout our sailing of the inside passage.

thanks again

Back yesterday from a two-week trip. My husband packed a spincast rod and lure box. Did some surf fishing in Seward with the locals trying to catch the early salmon, but no takers. We also did a halibut charter in Seward. Everyone caught their limit (19 fishing), the biggest being 60 lbs. Average fish was probably 25 lbs. He went chartering again with Ken from Northern Lights in Ketchikan. Only 3 on the boat. He had a great time. Ken is a really nice guy and I would recommend him. Had a mixed bag. Mostly flounder, one halibut, a couple of rock fish. No salmon, which is okay, because we catch more than enough in the fall in Wisconsin. Fourteen fish in all. None of the fishing entailed "trolling", which we find waaaaay boring.

We're currently checking out independent's in Ketchikan, as well as Icy Straight Point for charters. Having less luck finding fly fishing, but still looking.

why not check out: The Hook Up Fly Shop, 425 Water Street, Ketchikan, Alaska 99901 tele: 907-225-3260 or 888-230-7267 - email them @ thehookup@aptalaska.net Looks like they have guide service for a 4 hour trip. If they don't have availability they should be able to recommend a guide who can help in Ketchikan!

For Icy Strait Point, call FLYWATER ADVENTURES (Associated with and based out of The Glacier Bay Country Inn and the Whalesong Lodge), P.O. Box 5, Gustavus, Alaska 99826, (800) 628-0912 and see what they have to recommend (you can always say "no thanks" but it doesn't hurt to ask).

I can relate re fishing & DH. My DH ONLY came out of the water when the pilots started up the small plane even though the rest of the anglers - much younger then DH - were already out and resting on the shore! it's a passion.......

Archived