Food on Golden - variety / ethnic choices?

SeattleCruiser07

What kinds of foods are served in the dining room and on the buffet in terms of variety / ethnic choices? We love sushi, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Mexican / souuthwest, Vietnemese ...

We'll be on the Golden out of Seattle to AK next month.

Thanks in advance

:)

SeattleCruiser07

What kinds of foods are served in the dining room and on the buffet in terms of variety / ethnic choices? We love sushi, Chinese, Thai, Indian, Mexican / souuthwest, Vietnemese ...

The food on the Golden is great, and there is plenty of variety, but I am sorry you are probably going to find little in the ethnic foods you enjoy. Pina colada soup is about as fancy as it gets.

Have a GREAT cruise!

The few ethnic foods (non-American/Italian/French cuz those seem to be the "standard" fare) weren't very good IMO. Course, some of us our a little pickier than others. Food's a pretty subjective thing. I wouldn't classify any of it as bad and to be avoided though.

You won't find many ethnic foods onboard and the ones that you do find will not be prepared as you might expect. Not bad... just not what you might get if you went to a Mexican or Vietnamese restaurant.

I've seen won-ton soup and pot stickers on the menu at dinner, and sometimes offerings in the buffet such as sweet and sour chicken or curried lamb. You'll also sometimes find ethnic-themed lunches on longer cruises.

The Sapphire and Diamond Princesses were originally designed with four themed restaurants, including a PacRim menu (hence, the "Pacific Moon" restaurant on these ships). However, most passengers didn't want these restaurants and within 6 - 9 months, they had the same menu as other Princess ships.

On my Golden cruise in February, I happened to share a table at lunch in the buffet with a woman who complained about all the "weird" food on the menu in the dining room, such as lamb and veal. Go figure.

I think the last few years I have heard more passengers complain about the variety then anything else. Most of the complaints were that they wanted more plain foods for the meat and potato set. Not sure if this is the 'new wave in passengers' or what it is. But it seems the days are gone where you used to cruise to try different foods from all over the world, so many just seem disinterested in this anymore. At least let's just say the variety of different foods has changed a lot the last few years to accomodate the tastes of the new passengers. ARGH!

The Sapphire and Diamond Princesses were originally designed with four themed restaurants, including a PacRim menu (hence, the "Pacific Moon" restaurant on these ships). However, most passengers didn't want these restaurants and within 6 - 9 months, they had the same menu as other Princess ships.

Wow -- I will be seriously disappointed if the Pacific Moon and Santa Fe are no longer on those ships. When we were aboard, each anytime restaurant served its own specialties, ALONG WITH the regular dining room menu. The five spices duck in Pacific Moon was great, and the Santa Fe was famous for those onion rings. Are they really gone, or are you just referring to the fact that the regular menu is also available?

Archived