Hurricane phobia

ConnieSt

Hi! My husband and I have booked a cruise (our second; first time with NCL) on the Majesty to Bermuda from Boston leaving August 29th. Of course, there are two storms heading to the US shore: Bonnie and Charley. Charley, I think, is now a hurricane. Has anyone had any experience with their cruise being cancelled for a hurricane? I'm not worried about rough seas just don't want to be diverted to Nova Scotia or being outright cancelled. Any help out there will be greatly appreciated!:confused:

My first cruise on the Majesty was delayed a day due to a hurricane. We stayed in Boston on Sunday night and headed out to Bermuda on Monday. It was a very bumpy ride for the whole trip to Bermuda. We arrived in Bermuda on Wednesday afternoon but our stay was extened until 5:00 on Friday as opposed to noon. The trip home was smooth as glass.

I have never heard of the Majesty cruise being canceled due to a hurricane. It is very possible that you will go to Canada if there is a storm in the path to Bermuda. Unfortunately this decision may not be made until the day that you sail.

Good luck and I hope the weather cooperates for your cruise. The Majesty cruise to Bermuda is my absolute favorite trip.

I dont think Bonnie or Charlie will affect your (or our cruises), we are cruising to Bermuda on 08-22-04. They will both be hitting Florida today and tomorrow.

I will be so dissapointed if we wind up in Canada. But we will make the best of it. Hey a cruise is a cruise!!!

Last year they the Majesty left Bermuda a day early and the cruise scheduled for that week went to Canada (if my memory is correct).

Just keep your fingers crossed that no more storms are brewing.

Patty

The likelihood of your Bermuda cruise being diverted to Canada is very remote. It happened last year when a major hurricane hit Bermuda and the island was unable to receive cruise ships. Since Bermuda suffers a major hurricane rarely, about once every 20 years, I wouldn't worry about being diverted. You don't need a hurricane to get rough seas sailing to Bermuda but you only have one sea day each way so you should have smooth sailing on at least one of them. The destination is worth the trip. Enjoy.

I don't blame you for being concerned. However, Bonnie and Charlie should be history by the time you set sail.

I would just monitor The Weather Channel between now and when you sail.

And make sure you pack a motion sickness remedy with you, just in case something should decide to come up the Atlantic coast.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. We just can't wait to go to Bermuda. It was a long winter here in New Hampshire and the summer goes by way too quickly. I just want to see these beautiful beaches everyone is talking about and to drink a few of the Rum Swizzles!! It would be nice to swim in water where your feet don't numb up and your toes don't turn purple! But you are right...a cruise is a cruise....and if we end up in Canada we'll make the best of it. Can't wait:D

Archived